Right to Work

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I just saw on Facebook that one of the new Vice Presidents, KS, voted not to fund a fight of "right to work"? What kind of union person isn't fighting right to work?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just saw on Facebook that one of the new Vice Presidents, KS, voted not to fund a fight of "right to work"? What kind of union person isn't fighting right to work?

Did you even read the proposal before deciding to attack Ms. S? She may have had a very good reason(s) for deciding not to support this proposal.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Did you even read the proposal before deciding to attack Ms. S? She may have had a very good reason(s) for deciding not to support this proposal.

I did not read the whole proposal but the point of it was to take money from the General fund or DRIVE and give it to Missouri Teamsters and possibly others for the upcoming ballot initiative/ referendum which will decide whether the right to work "for less" law that was passed will remain in place. All the Unions in that State are getting money from their Internationals to fight this but she doesn't want to. The IBT is saying that they have the money for this fight so why aren't we using it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I did not read the whole proposal but the point of it was to take money from the General fund or DRIVE and give it to Missouri Teamsters and possibly others for the upcoming ballot initiative/ referendum which will decide whether the right to work "for less" law that was passed will remain in place. All the Unions in that State are getting money from their Internationals to fight this but she doesn't want to. The IBT is saying that they have the money for this fight so why aren't we using it.

Perhaps they realize that it would be money that would be wasted on a measure that is going to pass regardless of union campaigning.

extranatty

Right to work is the right to not have to join a union. Although, meaningless at UPS, why should we be forcing people to join unions? Forcing new hires to drop $500 in union fees their first year and likely quit before receiving any benefits. You're certainly not on the moral side to be against it.

There's little reason to not join the union at UPS so no effect here. Just a lot less money for the union. Curious why the VP would support that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Right to work is the right to not have to join a union. Although, meaningless at UPS, why should we be forcing people to join unions? Forcing new hires to drop $500 in union fees their first year and likely quit before receiving any benefits. You're certainly not on the moral side to be against it.

There's little reason to not join the union at UPS so no effect here. Just a lot less money for the union. Curious why the VP would support that.

She didn't support that----she simply said that she could not support that particular proposal as it was written.

sandwich

The resident gearhead

If someone didn't want a union job. Why they they apply for a union job?

Last edited by a moderator:

extranatty

If someone didn't want a union job. Why they they apply for a union job?

I have no idea why anyone applies for this job. But 95% don't survive their first year so clearly they didn't actually want a union job. Hell, I found out about the union during the interview.

What argument is there against right to work? It's basically, "we want to keep stealing money from poor new hires" or "we don't want mexicans working our government-protected jobs that we used nepotism to get". It's demonized as anti-union but that's a lie, what kind of union has to force people to join? A union not worth having. Besides, right to work states have created twice as many jobs as non-RTW states since 1980.

km3

The argument against RTW is fairly simple, especially for one who believes in free markets such as myself.

The bargaining unit and the company agreed that its employees shall be members of the bargaining unit as a condition of employement, therefore the government needs to mind its own business and stay out!