Road Test Question

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We have a real hard a.. sup that has been doing the road test lately. He has disqualified more guys than has passed. Mostly over grinding a gear. My advice would don't grind any gears
You can't get DQed over grinding a gear. You'd have to basically grind gears in every shift

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Tell that to my sup he also dqed a guy for not pulling his hand brake at a stop light. 1st time he had ever been in the a pc
IMG_5838.GIF

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

First gear is not synchronized. Do not shift to neutral when coming to a stop. When you have come to a full complete stop, and you have the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, then quickly shift out of whatever gear you're in and into first. It's like shifting to reverse, but you need to do this for first gear, too.
There's a first gear?

union4life

Pre-trip your vehicle before taking it on road.

Adjust that e-brake as tight as you can to help hold you on those little hills.

Always look over your left shoulder when pulling from a curb.

Tap your horn a lot. Any corner or object you can't see around.

Come to a complete stop (tires not rolling) behind every stop sign and behind the crosswalk strips at intersections.

Use your turn signals well in advance of every lane change or turn.

It's not a race, so be calm and in control. Maintain your lane and Your speed. Left turn - left lane, right turn - right lane.

Leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle in front of you when you are stopped in traffic. And delay you movement 3 seconds after the vehicle in front of you starts to move.

Good luck.

Nine5

I have been a package handler for 9 years and I finally got a bid for a full time driving job. I am decent on driving a stick, but it's not something I've done for years. How particular are they when you go for the initial road test? I still tend to roll back a tiny bit when I am on an incline and put the car into gear. Will this be an issue? What all should I expect this test to entail?

Thanks for any help you can give.
I always take off in second, 1st is basically a granny gear, on the 4 speed gms and the Spicers.....when I had my road test 4years ago it was in an old 800 with a four speed BTW.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Pre-trip your vehicle before taking it on road.

Adjust that e-brake as tight as you can to help hold you on those little hills.

Always look over your left shoulder when pulling from a curb.

Tap your horn a lot. Any corner or object you can't see around.

Come to a complete stop (tires not rolling) behind every stop sign and behind the crosswalk strips at intersections.

Use your turn signals well in advance of every lane change or turn.

It's not a race, so be calm and in control. Maintain your lane and Your speed. Left turn - left lane, right turn - right lane.

Leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle in front of you when you are stopped in traffic. And delay you movement 3 seconds after the vehicle in front of you starts to move.

Good luck.
Omg you forgot eye lead time and following distance

Galadriel

When I took my test it was based off a point scale. 10pts for grinding gears, 25 points for not dropping break at stop lights or hills. I was allowed up to 125 points. I lost 90 points grinding, and 25 for not dropping the e brake at a intersection. I was also given a copy of the test in case school needed a copy.

AlphaMikeBravo

I have been a package handler for 9 years and I finally got a bid for a full time driving job. I am decent on driving a stick, but it's not something I've done for years. How particular are they when you go for the initial road test? I still tend to roll back a tiny bit when I am on an incline and put the car into gear. Will this be an issue? What all should I expect this test to entail?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Just drive it like you mean it. Drive safe like your taking a regular DMV road test. Show confidence that you are in control of the vehicle. This attachment should help you. I forgot who originally posted it so sorry if I didn't give credit...

Attachments

• UPSRoadTest.JPG
    UPSRoadTest.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 269

UKCATS83

Thanks everyone. This is a lot of useful info. Trying to figure out what to do now as I am hearing the next training session is the week my wife is having a c section. Not sure how that would work.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Thanks everyone. This is a lot of useful info. Trying to figure out what to do now as I am hearing the next training session is the week my wife is having a c section. Not sure how that would work.
Ups won't care unfortunately.

Brisket

Go and see HR and explain the situation to them and there may be another class they can get you into. You don't want to miss the birth that's for sure, you do not get a 'do over'.

Ups won't care unfortunately.

You are correct. But there are still a few decent people around, you just have to search long and far for them.