Road Test

FlaccidEgo

Have my road test tomorrow, what does it entail exactly? Is there anything specific I should be prepared for? I've driven manual cars for 15 years so am prepared for the clutch. Thanks!

Box Ox

Have my road test tomorrow, what does it entail exactly? Is there anything specific I should be prepared for? I've driven manual cars for 15 years so am prepared for the clutch. Thanks!

For me it was just driving a big square loop area in my location's most piece of junk package car. If you've been driving a stick for 15 you've probably got nothing to worry about. You might want to ask your tester if he/she cares if you start in second gear. Reverse is also top left. First gear bottom left.

PT Car Washer

I had to drive a combination freeway, downtown, and residential streets. I drove Army trucks for years so not a big deal except for having someone criticize every move you make.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
For me it was just driving a big square loop area in my location's most piece of junk package car. If you've been driving a stick for 15 you've probably got nothing to worry about. You might want to ask your tester if he/she cares if you start in second gear. Reverse is also top left. First gear bottom left.

Uummm,,,,,,,,,,maybe, maybe not.

By The Book

Apply the 10 point commentary.,to the area you are driving in. Slow to 15 mph with foot covering brake at rr crossings and look left right left. Come to a complete stop, and stop behind the first line. Signal in advance ank keep your eyes moving. Do a good pre trip. Good luck!

HBGPreloader

The one thing I've heard all the drivers tell those taking who are trying to qualify is expect to take the test in the biggest POS in the fleet.
It seems to depend on whether or not management likes you. However, some drivers were given some time to "practice" with the car before they began the test.

By The Book

The one thing I've heard all the drivers tell those taking who are trying to qualify is expect to take the test in the biggest POS in the fleet.
It seems to depend on whether or not management likes you. However, some drivers were given some time to "practice" with the car before they began the test.
Correct, I would ask to come in and drive in my browns after the preload around the yard to get used to the gears and such.

Box Ox

Apply the 10 point commentary.,to the area you are driving in. Slow to 15 mph with foot covering brake at rr crossings and look left right left. Come to a complete stop, and stop behind the first line. Signal in advance ank keep your eyes moving. Do a good pre trip. Good luck!

All great things to know, but I got absolutely 0 of that until after the road test. They just wanted to see if I could drive a PC first.

some drivers were given some time to "practice" with the car before they began the test.

Now that I think of it, I was offered the parking lot before we hit the open road too. Probably to make sure I wouldn't stall out in front of oncoming traffic. I hear some people hop in for the test and hop right back out because they don't even know where to start with a manual.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It seems to depend on whether or not management likes you.
I took mine in the biggest POS we had on property too, but I was told

"If you can drive this, you can drive anything we have here."

OP make sure you keep checking your mirrors, use your horn when necessary, watch the speed, and keep a good space between you and the vehicle ahead of you. If you can drive a manual you'll be fine.

BostonBo

My tester cared about me wearing a seat belt, using blinkers, proper turns, and starting uphill from a dead stop. Oh, and apply the hand brake when you're at a stop light.

FlaccidEgo

Well I passed the test this morning, the truck they took me out in had the stiffest clutch I've ever experienced in nearly 20 years of driving manuals. But like was said, the guy was like "if you can drive this, you can drive anything".

I haven't driven a vehicle without power steering for over 15 years so that took a bit of brute force, as did pressing down on the clutch.

I clipped a kerb with the back wheel when making a turn because of the dodgy steering and drove a bit too close to the kerb a few times but otherwise did enough to pass.

By The Book

Well I passed the test this morning, the truck they took me out in had the stiffest clutch I've ever experienced in nearly 20 years of driving manuals. But like was said, the guy was like "if you can drive this, you can drive anything".

I haven't driven a vehicle without power steering for over 15 years so that took a bit of brute force, as did pressing down on the clutch.

I clipped a kerb with the back wheel when making a turn because of the dodgy steering and drove a bit too close to the kerb a few times but otherwise did enough to pass.
Those old manual transmission trucks with those stiff clutches, steering that would keep those arms in shape and high steps were trucks we drove daily. Lots of guys had knee and shoulder surgeries because of it.

atlastitan

omg i got a road test this week too. ive only been driving manual a couple of months but my dad who has had years of exp. said i was doing alright. i have learned in the most beat up non power steering car so i am slightly confident.i still dont know if i can backup into a bay door. gotta practice that.