Rockhounder's club (on topic)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Looks like flint

My area isn't known for flint. This is translucent, as you can see where there is a chip, it is diffusing the light, whereas flint is opaque. Flint, chert, jasper and chalcedony (sard is just brown chalcedony) are all variations of quartz, or silicon dioxide, to be precise. If this is chalcedony, it would also cause iron to throw sparks like flint does, due to the hardness of the material.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
My area isn't known for flint. This is translucent, as you can see where there is a chip, it is diffusing the light, whereas flint is opaque. Flint, chert, jasper and chalcedony (sard is just brown chalcedony) are all variations of quartz, or silicon dioxide, to be precise. If this is chalcedony, it would also cause iron to throw sparks like flint does, due to the hardness of the material.
Cool looking. I have to admit, I’ve collected a few rocks and fossils my self.

oldngray

nowhere special
There are some really good flint outcroppings near me and they don't look like that.

oldngray

nowhere special
The flint I've seen looks like a gray jasper. Though I'm pretty sure it can cone in other colors and I believe it forms more like chert.
It looks different if it has been exposed to the air and elements. A lot more brittle too. Its better to dig out a fresher piece.

Most of it looks like this around here

55cbe9d.jpg

But they do have some colors if you polish them

7d9888.jpg