Rockhounder's club (on topic)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You seem to know way more then me on this subject so I’ll have to take your word for it.

I always had a passing interest in rocks, but I've been learning a lot about them lately. I think it's the lack of intellectual stimulation of the job. I do it partly out of the treasure hunt aspect. I don't want to be one of those guys with a specimen worth a fortune in his collection without knowing it. A lot of stories out there like that.

rod

Retired 22 years
AD8DB25D-3D4D-4FAE-9D27-C3F5E0769139.jpeg
AD8DB25D-3D4D-4FAE-9D27-C3F5E0769139.jpeg
I wanted this rock to be a meteorite- it’s the heaviest rock for its size I’ve ever saw but unfortunately it didn’t pass the magnet test

Attachments

• C2DE1C85-32D3-4A73-B537-A0600C12526E.jpeg
    C2DE1C85-32D3-4A73-B537-A0600C12526E.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 159

oldngray

nowhere special
The bars of gold they use in central banks weigh over 33 lbs, but are the size of a thick paperback. That's why it's always funny to see people in movies tossing them around like they only weigh a pound or two.
Like the Die Hard movie. It would have taken a fleet of dump trucks to haul away all that gold.

rod

Retired 22 years
Like the Die Hard movie. It would have taken a fleet of dump trucks to haul away all that gold.

Bearing Sea Gold started up again-----Great show. I like those treasure hunting shows----except for that one that used to be on with the 2 nin-com- poops with the metal detectors who jumped around and did cartwheels when they would find any old hunk of junk. Those boys were drama queens.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Bearing Sea Gold started up again-----Great show. I like those treasure hunting shows----except for that one that used to be on with the 2 nin-com- poops with the metal detectors who jumped around and did cartwheels when they would find any old hunk of junk. Those boys were drama queens.

Did you ever watch meteorite men? I liked that show. A lot of good info about meteorites. I've been watching Gold Rush, and Curse of Oak Island. That oak island stuff is pretty crazy. All sorts of theories about what happened there, and they actually seem to be making headway on piecing it together.

rod

Retired 22 years
Did you ever watch meteorite men? I liked that show. A lot of good info about meteorites. I've been watching Gold Rush, and Curse of Oak Island. That oak island stuff is pretty crazy. All sorts of theories about what happened there, and they actually seem to be making headway on piecing it together.
I've been addicted to the Oak Island mystery ever since I read the original story in the Readers Digest years ago when it first came out. I held on to that copy for many years but like most all of my childhood treasures my mom threw it away during one of her cleaning jags.:-) I liked Meteorite Men too. That meteorite stuff is worth tons of money for just a small piece. That's why I was hoping my rock was one. It's big enough to have made me a bajillionaire.

rod

Retired 22 years
Do they have to be iron? I thought many meteorites were but didn't have to be.
I've always been under the assumption that they had to be of iron makeup and hold a magnet. That's how those Meteorite Men always checked their found stuff. Now you have me thinking again. Is there still hope?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I've always been under the assumption that they had to be of iron makeup and hold a magnet. That's how those Meteorite Men always checked their found stuff. Now you have me thinking again. Is there still hope?

Lunar and Martian meteorites aren't iron heavy, but another taletell sign of any meteorite is the fusion crust from the heat of entry into the atmosphere. Your rock shows signs of crystal habit, and no smooth, melted surface, so it is definitely not a meteorite.