Rockhounder's club (on topic)

barnyard

KTM rider
It's a Leaverite.

Leave it right there!

Pretty sure it is Leavatrite.

My youngest daughter is a rockhound. The past summer we went to Richardsons Rock Ranch in Oregon to dig agates. It was the 2nd time we were there, so we were somewhat better prepared for a morning of digging. We had 70 lbs of agates this time, which was about the same amount we dug the 1st time we were out there.

We have also been to places in ID, OR and MT, looking for fossils. I am not as into it as my daughter is, I just find it a relaxing thing to do and a very nice way to spend some family time together, outside.

oldngray

nowhere special
One of the best places for flint in the US is near me and I went there to dig some flint.

And learned I am hopeless at flint knapping.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I enjoy getting out in nature, but I also like to be doing something to really get the full outdoor experience. This thread is for anyone who likes to get out and look for cool rocks. Discuss your methodology, favorite types of rocks and locations for searching, post pics of your favorite finds.

To get started, I like to walk rivers and streams, do a little snorkeling, comb gravel bars. Mostly find agates, jaspers and petrified wood, some quartz crystals from time to time. Here's a few of the pics I just happen to have on my device at the moment.

View attachment 212694

On the left is what I believe to be a holly blue agate, next to a redish stained agate for contrast.

View attachment 212695

Top left is a piece of red carnelian agate, the rest are sunstone feldspar crystals.

More to follow....

Nice rocks.

:biggrin:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I always had a passing interest in rocks, but I've been learning a lot about them lately. I think it's the lack of intellectual stimulation of the job. I do it partly out of the treasure hunt aspect. I don't want to be one of those guys with a specimen worth a fortune in his collection without knowing it. A lot of stories out there like that.

I was out fishing this May and came across a nice fossilized specimen. Too big to take with me and sure didn't want to damage the piece so hopefully others will find it and appreciate it.

20190516_143736.jpg

20190516_143724.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
received_497038004178478.jpeg

My buddy just sent this pic to me. He found that embedded in a dead tree he was cutting up. Defintitely looks like a formed tool of some sort. I haven't found any images of stone tools made from completely transparent material. It could be chalcedony, and I'm guessing some sort of arrow head or atlatl dart/spearhead that had the tip worn down. But could be some sort of scraper tool for gathering pitch?

rod

Retired 22 years
View attachment 265849

My buddy just sent this pic to me. He found that embedded in a dead tree he was cutting up. Defintitely looks like a formed tool of some sort. I haven't found any images of stone tools made from completely transparent material. It could be chalcedony, and I'm guessing some sort of arrow head or atlatl dart/spearhead that had the tip worn down. But could be some sort of scraper tool for gathering pitch?
For making arrows perhaps ? looks like you could run a branch across it and it would even up the shaft.

rod

Retired 22 years
The Sheriff told us that meth heads like to collect rocks. Every time I see some scumbag walking along the roar picking up rocks I think of that.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
For making arrows perhaps ? looks like you could run a branch across it and it would even up the shaft.

After I got to see it in person we came to the conclusion it was hardened tree resin, just happened to form a pretty unnatural looking shape. Super light, too light to be silica based.