Rollup door problem, woe is me

vantexan

I find it hard to believe that as many hours he puts in that Ground is not his primary source of income.
I believe him because of the positivity. He may need the extra income now but sounds like he knows that eventually he'll be where he wants to be so Ground works for him.

vantexan

You don't work those type of hours for a little extra income.
There's something more to it with him. A major reason why a lot of us stayed with the job is once you get out of the building you're on your own. For a lot of people that's infinitely better than being stuck inside all day with a boss and cranky coworkers. Maybe he enjoys running around all day.

MAKAVELI

There's something more to it with him. A major reason why a lot of us stayed with the job is once you get out of the building you're on your own. For a lot of people that's infinitely better than being stuck inside all day with a boss and cranky coworkers. Maybe he enjoys running around all day.
Most of this posts sound like complaining to me. I don't get the impression that he really enjoys it. Seems he enjoys posting pictures of his handiwork more than the actual job.

bacha29

Most of this posts sound like complaining to me. I don't get the impression that he really enjoys it. Seems he enjoys posting pictures of his handiwork more than the actual job.
Might be an acceptable job provided that he treat it like the joke it is.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

Out of all the previous routes I've been on, this one fits me.

The customers are treated better than my next door neighbors & understand the businesses on my route takes priority

They'll know once they see an "out for delivery" email notification, it will get to them that day, unless it was during those past back to back snowstorm barrage we recently had.

Redneck wif paychecks and most of the farmland community are friendly folk. Since I'm in a branded vehicle, they'll know it's me getting their stuff to them, not left by the mailbox on the side of a road.

The occasional DFUs are from the old folks gated community, some are just plain senile... I'll describe the small box of chewy.com weather bagged in a FedEx logo plastic clear bag & boom! Their memory about that package comes to the limelight.

I rarely see the a hole customers who tried to bogo free from false disputes, since they either request future deliveries from UPS or USPS... that's fine with me.

It will be fine

There is no way you can make any money doing that. You would have to live out of your truck
From what they present, which admittedly is probably high to get people in the door, the margins aren't too far off a Ground route. I've considered adding sprinters and getting a custom critical contract, but with the margins it doesn't make sense to staff one. If it was just me with one truck again and I didn't want to be home all the time, I'd sign on. If that division is still around when I semi-retire I'll probably snag a contract.

OrioN

DSC_0012.JPG

Links of the broken spring removed

DSC_0014.JPG

Rest of the spring mated to the cable drum, but I think the FedEx mechanic put too much tension on it...

DSC_0013.JPG

Door held back to provide Clarence to work in that space instead of having the door closed (claustrophobia)

DSC_0015.JPG

Other torsion spring will be wound up a bit & smaller spring will be backed out so it can be more balanced

This took less than an hour with his cutoff wheel

I'm also gonna lube the pivots with some oil so it can slide like butter

vantexan

Which means he's really into it. Not much different than an enthusiast on a car forum showing the mods he's made. He's an owner/landlord. Takes time to build equity so needs something on the side for income. Makes the most of it. We regular employees have a certain mindset. Entrepreneurs see things differently.

vantexan

Out of all the previous routes I've been on, this one fits me.

The customers are treated better than my next door neighbors & understand the businesses on my route takes priority

They'll know once they see an "out for delivery" email notification, it will get to them that day, unless it was during those past back to back snowstorm barrage we recently had.

Redneck wif paychecks and most of the farmland community are friendly folk. Since I'm in a branded vehicle, they'll know it's me getting their stuff to them, not left by the mailbox on the side of a road.

The occasional DFUs are from the old folks gated community, some are just plain senile... I'll describe the small box of chewy.com weather bagged in a FedEx logo plastic clear bag & boom! Their memory about that package comes to the limelight.

I rarely see the :censored2: customers who tried to bogo free from false disputes, since they either request future deliveries from UPS or USPS... that's fine with me.
There have been a few routes over the years that I wished I still had. When you've got a good thing going hang on to it!

OrioN

I'm just painting a big picture of an HD driver on here, no complaints, but that was just wrong for a 1 hour or less fix... thy could have shuttle this to the FedEx mechanic while I scan n sort my cargo.

Then drive it to me when done.

It was really that easy to fix!

I was hesitant to tackle this myself because of how much tension is on the spring. & I have a small dremel cutoff wheel vs the mechanic s industrial size wheel on an angle tool

BTW the set screws were loose on the other side, doh! I have to keep this in mind when I oil the pins and wheels next time

OrioN

Which means he's really into it. Not much different than an enthusiast on a car forum showing the mods he's made. He's an owner/landlord. Takes time to build equity so needs something on the side for income. Makes the most of it. We regular employees have a certain mindset. Entrepreneurs see things differently.

U got it, van. Half of the HD salary is going towards the property tax of the main house we're in... the rest is squirrel ed away for another down payment on another rental property. Other 3 are doing fine as passive income

vantexan

U got it, van. Half of the HD salary is going towards the property tax of the main house we're in... the rest is squirrel ed away for another down payment on another rental property. Other 3 are doing fine as passive income
I can truly say with my pension that it's better to have an income stream after years of hard work to get it than to continue to work hard to have any income at all.

It will be fine

I'm just painting a big picture of an HD driver on here, no complaints, but that was just wrong for a 1 hour or less fix... thy could have shuttle this to the FedEx mechanic while I scan n sort my cargo.

Then drive it to me when done.

It was really that easy to fix!

I was hesitant to tackle this myself because of how much tension is on the spring. & I have a small dremel cutoff wheel vs the mechanic s industrial size wheel on an angle tool

BTW the set screws were loose on the other side, doh! I have to keep this in mind when I oil the pins and wheels next time
Do not mess with door springs yourself. It's a good way to lose a finger or two, or die.

OrioN

Do not mess with door springs yourself. It's a good way to lose a finger or two, or die.
Yeah, the 12' boxtruck had less tension than I thought... it's the huge terminal garage doors that weigh 500 lbs or more that one has to worry about!

the set screws were too loose, I didn't need to tighten the spring itself since loosening the shorter spring still yield a smooth opening and closing of the door.

bacha29

From what they present, which admittedly is probably high to get people in the door, the margins aren't too far off a Ground route. I've considered adding sprinters and getting a custom critical contract, but with the margins it doesn't make sense to staff one. If it was just me with one truck again and I didn't want to be home all the time, I'd sign on. If that division is still around when I semi-retire I'll probably snag a contract.
One day I met up with a Custom Critical at the same place I was offloading while he was getting a pallet loaded use a towmotor. The guy had an E250 with a homemade bulkhead but between the bulkhead and the seats he had installed something in the way of a bed and a little thing to try to heat a meal. The trouble with CC is that after doing a delivery they'll send to to another town and you had to wait there until another load in that general region came up then you drove to pick it up.

The trouble is you could sit at that location for days on end and still not know if or when another load will become available and you still might have to drive another 50 miles to get it. If you decided to go on home you were sort of rotated out and when you returned you had to start at the bottom of the list again. Bolt is another one in this business and the reviews are likewise not very favorable. BTW, When they sat that pallet down on the back of that little panel van I thought the springs were going to come right up through the floor.

It might be an ok life if you're single and not much in the way of a family and you never get tired of driving but it still seems like it's no way to live.