Rollup door problem, woe is me

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One day I met up with a Custom Critical at the same place I was offloading while he was getting a pallet loaded use a towmotor. The guy had an E250 with a homemade bulkhead but between the bulkhead and the seats he had installed something in the way of a bed and a little thing to try to heat a meal. The trouble with CC is that after doing a delivery they'll send to to another town and you had to wait there until another load in that general region came up then you drove to pick it up.

The trouble is you could sit at that location for days on end and still not know if or when another load will become available and you still might have to drive another 50 miles to get it. If you decided to go on home you were sort of rotated out and when you returned you had to start at the bottom of the list again. Bolt is another one in this business and the reviews are likewise not very favorable. BTW, When they sat that pallet down on the back of that little panel van I thought the springs were going to come right up through the floor.

It might be an ok life if you're single and not much in the way of a family and you never get tired of driving but it still seems like it's no way to live.

It does sound like a good gig for a retired couple who want to see the country.

bacha29

It does sound like a good gig for a retired couple who want to see the country.
I talked to a couple who at one time were leased on to CC but would repeatedly sit at their assigned staging area for more than a week at a time before they were able to secure another load. Later they leased on to another carrier and received more loads. I guess that it all will depend on the activity ongoing in your assigned region and who you're leased to.

vantexan

I talked to a couple who at one time were leased on to CC but would repeatedly sit at their assigned staging area for more than a week at a time before they were able to secure another load. Later they leased on to another carrier and received more loads. I guess that it all will depend on the activity ongoing in your assigned region and who you're leased to.
I delivered travel trailers in '98 for 7 months. Drove 107,000 miles, barely broke even. Did some sitting here and there but mostly non-stop driving. A lot of turnover because the only thing you're really doing is wearing out your truck.

bacha29

I delivered travel trailers in '98 for 7 months. Drove 107,000 miles, barely broke even. Did some sitting here and there but mostly non-stop driving. A lot of turnover because the only thing you're really doing is wearing out your truck.
Thank you. I was curious about that offer. But, then again if you're aggressively advertising your offer then more often or not it's a rotten deal. I still keep an eye out for what on paper looks like a square deal but all you have to do is a little research and ask around and you almost always uncover the truth.

BTW . I wanted to ask you. During your time in Georgia see any Russian civilians , military personnel or military vehicles etc. Putin won't rest until he has reacquired all former Soviet satellite nations.

vantexan

Thank you. I was curious about that offer. But, then again if you're aggressively advertising your offer then more often or not it's a rotten deal. I still keep an eye out for what on paper looks like a square deal but all you have to do is a little research and ask around and you almost always uncover the truth.

BTW . I wanted to ask you. During your time in Georgia see any Russian civilians , military personnel or military vehicles etc. Putin won't rest until he has reacquired all former Soviet satellite nations.
No Russian military here although they're next door. Sanctions hurt Russia, especially when oil prices are down, so doubtful he'll be invading anytime soon. Strategically Georgia has little to offer. It is popular with Russian tourists on the coast in the summer so Georgia hasn't done anything to restrict movement. When the Soviet Union broke up it left substantial Russian populations outside of Russia. In areas with strong numbers of Russians, like far eastern Ukraine or South Ossetia, Georgia, the Russians don't want to be dominated by people they used to dominate. Thus the breakaway movements with Moscow's support. It plays well politically with voters at home for him too. But he's learned that comes at a cost with sanctions. So in spite of the saber rattling it's highly doubtful you'll see a reconstitution on the U.S.S.R. The various peoples that make up all the former Soviet republics pretty much despise the Russians and want self determination. Would probably cause a world war trying to force them to return.

dvalleyjim

Great post! Yeah, those doors are heavy. I drove for a contractor once whose roll up was missing rollers in the mid-panel section. I rolled up the door from the inside only to be knocked unconscious by the mid section of that door hitting me in the head. You only forget once!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
tenor.gif

So I'm getting my truck ready for Monday... doing the pre-trip... picking out rocks in the the tire treads, cleaning the light lenses and windows, checking fluids, emptying the pee bottles and stocking up on drinks and snackety-snack-snacks...

sketch-1544391915071.png

sketch-1544392207485.png

Just texted the mechanic... doesn't work Sundays... ugh, I'll just have to see if he can cut the 20 links off or has one of those couplers at home depot or Lowe's to get by for the rest of peak