rookies not the same as before

A

Anonymous GearJammer

Was told if it was a NDA or other time commit package and they were CLO that a reattempt later when open was another stop. But reattempt ground, no unless instructed as Upstate said.

This all comes down to what your management team thinks the company rule is and how strict they wish to enforce the rule. All of the above scenarios are probably correct for their respective centers, just don't try it in someone else's center.

ImpactedTSG

Every generation thinks poorly of the new generation. My grandfater said the same thing and so did my father. Now my generation is saying it about the 20 somethings. I'm starting to wonder if the rookies are the same and we are just seeing them through the eyes of tired old men. Just a thought.

filiperuvian

20 yrs till retirment yay
the point about management's approach to training is probably the biggest factor in shaping a new driver. we had an on-road...*** **** haha man whenever you heard that name people cringed because he was a hard-ass. i also think the whole 'i'm entitled' attitude is a factor as well. but hey if you've got a decent work ethic in the first place that will take you a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is it just my hub, or are the newer rookies (past 2 years or so) "softer"? i mean, i've been driving for only 4 years, but it seems the guys that came after me learn maybe 2 or so routes and stick to that, or they just do trash all the time! remember 5 days 5 routes? or just walking in and finding out you're doing a route you've never done before? i'm sure it has to alot with my management team giving in to them whining, and being afraid to have a driver die on a route and have to dispatch help...but hell i thought that's how a driver learned..by dying out there! remember hearing "you're on this guy's route, here's the p/u log...grab your thomas guide and don't miss any pick ups." ok there's my rant :)

In our center it is still the same keys, pick up log, and here is the truck.

filiperuvian

20 yrs till retirment yay
In our center it is still the same keys, pick up log, and here is the truck.

i'm sure some of it has to do with the size my hub. we've got 4 centers and about 250 (or more) drivers. I had only been driving for 8 months when the whole PAS/EDD system came out...and as flawed as it can be it helps learning the boundaries of a route. So going out cold wasn't as bad as before.

BSUUPS

yeah, they ARE softer, I look around in centers and believe it to be a generational thing. Most of us grew up seeing our parents grab a lunch box or a breif case and go to work...thats what a job was....company buys your time, you do company work - Hard, long, tedious...whatever. They came home to house they COULD AFFORD, and expected nothing more than earned. I see a lot of younger people not grasping that IT IS HARD WORK, IT TAKES INITIATIVE, AND THERE ARE EXPECTATIONS. They constantly complain, then at the end of the day get into their car that they can't afford and drive to their house that is soon to be repo'ed. This is a sterotype obviously but bottom line there are a lot of new generation drivers that would be exceptional if the job could be done with an XBOX controller....OLD generation driveres know the job - overalowed/ underallowed/ scratch whatever - they know that no package is left behind and that the next morning they roll out of bed grab the lunchbox and perform a job.

ImpactedTSG

yeah, they ARE softer, I look around in centers and believe it to be a generational thing. Most of us grew up seeing our parents grab a lunch box or a breif case and go to work...thats what a job was....company buys your time, you do company work - Hard, long, tedious...whatever. They came home to house they COULD AFFORD, and expected nothing more than earned. I see a lot of younger people not grasping that IT IS HARD WORK, IT TAKES INITIATIVE, AND THERE ARE EXPECTATIONS. They constantly complain, then at the end of the day get into their car that they can't afford and drive to their house that is soon to be repo'ed. This is a sterotype obviously but bottom line there are a lot of new generation drivers that would be exceptional if the job could be done with an XBOX controller....OLD generation driveres know the job - overalowed/ underallowed/ scratch whatever - they know that no package is left behind and that the next morning they roll out of bed grab the lunchbox and perform a job.
Good post!

Mike Hawk

Man if I could do my job with my Xbox controller I would totally have the high score.

Griff

It's not a generational thing, it's the lack of leadership from senior drivers and the union itself. Whenever I see a weak young driver, right next to him is the weak senior driver who taught him to be that way. Take a look in the mirror folks, start leading by example instead of pontificating about yesteryear.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The job has changed in so many ways since pas/edd for good and bad. In the past you had to sort out your whole shelves by the thousands and the floor to know what stops you had and how many pieces. You had to remember at least the next 5 stops, now the board tells you what your next stop is and how many packages you have.

Before pass/edd the routes seemed more manageable, now almost everyday the truck is bricked out with work. Its easier for a rookie because they have the tools in front of them that we didnt yet they also have more work on every route than we had.

Thers also the character of the newbies that are coming in, I worked 2 and 3 jobs when i was a partimer waiting for this job for 5 years. Now these kids are coming in with under 2 years and sometimes as much as 3 months. They have not had to struggle or even develop a good work ethic. The scary thing is this is the future of our company.

How many sups do you see coming in that have never drove? How can someone that has never done my job supervise us. Just from the 2 week supervisor class they have to attend. How can the drivers respect their decision knowing that this person has not done this job and is just clueless.

The future is in trouble from both sides. Just my opinion.

Overpaid Union Thug

The bottom line is that rookies aren't getting trained properly. Management is putting to much faith in PAS/EDD. They think that it eliminates the need for proper training. EDD helps allot. It really does. I've run several routes blind and EDD made things alot easier but I already had a couple of years of driving in and at least felt a comfortable with things. A rookie driver isn't going to have that luxury. EDD only helps so much.