Route Bid Question

Travwise

Hello,

I have a question that no one seems to be able to answer.

I was an off the street hire (driver) assigned to a satellite route in my center. Again, I did not "bid" this route. Do I still have to wait a year before I can bid for a new route? If you are able to provide the answer can you also provide the source, so I can look at it as well? Thank you.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you're an off the street hire, you will be at rock bottom on the seniority list, which means when bid time comes up, odds are you won't have a chance to bid on anything. By the time your bid time would come up, all the routes will have been claimed.

I've been a driver for going on 5 years, and I still don't have my own route. You'll end up being one of the MANY cover drivers :)

OPTION3

Hello,

I have a question that no one seems to be able to answer.

I was an off the street hire (driver) assigned to a satellite route in my center. Again, I did not "bid" this route. Do I still have to wait a year before I can bid for a new route? If you are able to provide the answer can you also provide the source, so I can look at it as well? Thank you.

If its a satellite route...are you driving a Package car out to area?---If not file immediately for the mileage to and from the building. Also, only punch in/out at the building. Make them pay for your travel time. In our local we have already won several of these grievances

UPSGUY72

Sign your name to any bid that you want period. If you don't get it so be it. If you don't sign you never have a chance.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you not to sign the bid because you don't have enough seniority.....

Travwise

Thank you for the responses. I was hired off the street on July 1 and have two people underneath me already. The next vacation driver bid will be hung in the next couple weeks, management is telling me I cannot sign for a year. Again, how long must an off the street hire work before being ELIGIBLE to bid. Any opinion on my chances of getting it are irrelevant. My center is not your center. Thanks again, please provide the source if you are able to find a definitive answer.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
management is telling me I cannot sign for a year. Again, how long must an off the street hire work before being ELIGIBLE to bid. Any opinion on my chances of getting it are irrelevant. My center is not your center. Thanks again, please provide the source if you are able to find a definitive answer.

If management is saying that you are ineligible to sign it for a year, then I guess that puts you S.O.L.

You come in here to ask for advice, and when you receive it (since it wasn't as warm and fuzzy as you'd have liked you get smart) you think we're wrong.

2 sources will give you the answer:
A.) Your management team
B.) Your steward

Talk to them both, and if they both give the same answer, then there you'll have it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If its a satellite route...are you driving a Package car out to area?---If not file immediately for the mileage to and from the building. Also, only punch in/out at the building. Make them pay for your travel time. In our local we have already won several of these grievances

Only if your forced to run it. If you bid the route or say it was a 4th move giveaway and its your route your kind of out of luck.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thank you for the responses. I was hired off the street on July 1 and have two people underneath me already. The next vacation driver bid will be hung in the next couple weeks, management is telling me I cannot sign for a year. Again, how long must an off the street hire work before being ELIGIBLE to bid. Any opinion on my chances of getting it are irrelevant. My center is not your center. Thanks again, please provide the source if you are able to find a definitive answer.

Talk to a steward. They will have your answer but as was already said sign the bid. Your can always sign it worst case is you are not eligible.

upschuck

I covered a satellite a few times and they wanted me to drive my own vehicle to area. Talked with steward, who in turn talked to the center manager, and they pulled the pup outside and I loaded the vehicle on the lot several times. Seemed odd to me but if that is what they wanted me to do, it's their money.

Sign everything that comes up, they always give it to the highest seniority bidder. I've never seen them use the no bid for a year reason, being in contract or "past practices", not really sure, even though initially they said the same thing to me.

Notretiredyet

As others have said, if ya want it put your name on it. It's better to be disqualified than missing the chance to bid a job that's posted if it interests you. Worst case scenario, you'll get a solid date from the company when you can bid.

Brokedownandbrown

If you have gained seniority, one can bid an unassigned bid route. The question being what route is open and is it better or worst than the one you have. Having a lower seniority level, most of the times someone else will bid that route, you want get it.

Stay in contact with someone in center to know what bids are up. Management is not going to call and let you know whats up for bid.

Always sign a bid and you can change your decision later.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If you were hired in July , off the street as you say, are you sure you weren't hired as a seasonal summer driver !! If so you cant bid ,or if hired full time you have to be put on the full time list (make Book ) before you can bid !! Ask you Steward !! good luck !

OPTION3

If you were hired in July , off the street as you say, are you sure you weren't hired as a seasonal summer driver !! If so you cant bid ,or if hired full time you have to be put on the full time list (make Book ) before you can bid !! Ask you Steward !! good luck !

​What's a SEASONAL summer driver? In my 28 years as a driver I've NEVER heard of that.....what part of the country you in where they use seasonals in JULY?....Not being a "wiseazz"...really want to know

PT Car Washer

Summer vacation driver. Memorial Day through Labor Day. Central Region. $16.10 an hour and no contract rights other than wages. Try and put you on a training route for the summer and regular driver covers.

OPTION3

Summer vacation driver. Memorial Day through Labor Day. Central Region. $16.10 an hour and no contract rights other than wages. Try and put you on a training route for the summer and regular driver covers.
WOW--NEVER heard of that....can't believe our union allowed that...Thanks for the info

UPSGUY72

​What's a SEASONAL summer driver? In my 28 years as a driver I've NEVER heard of that.....what part of the country you in where they use seasonals in JULY?....Not being a "wiseazz"...really want to know

In the New England area. They hire seasonal people of the street From Jun 1 to Dec 31 except for the last two weeks in Sept to help cover vacation and peak volume. We currently don't have TCD in are area but that is going to change once the New contract goes into effect.

PT Car Washer

Lately my building have been using the free period as a beauty pageant to select their next FT driver. Just keep working him past the free period and by contract he is the next FT driver.