Route Bidding

IDoLessWorkThanMost

seems like a bunk system to me, if say a new-hire driver has a coveted driving bid route fall into his /her lap and for the rest of their career. Seniority should dictate who gets what.

We also bid every two years and would guess the change % is around 25 too. We have a couple of drivers that are masters at trimming a new(to them) route down to a decent days work. It never fails that one of their routes are among the first ones bid.

old levi's

blank space
It took me 23 years to get my first bid route and I was bumped off of it 6 weeks later. Ya gotta luv it. :angry: Every 2 years here. One of our top senior drivers is never happy with his route so he changes every time thus creating the domino effect.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We also bid every two years and would guess the change % is around 25 too. We have a couple of drivers that are masters at trimming a new(to them) route down to a decent days work. It never fails that one of their routes are among the first ones bid.
I love those guys :happy2:

old levi's

blank space
Dino why so long to get your own rte?? were you part time most of those years or did you want cover ??

Had to work preload for 13 years before a driving position became available.
Had to swing drive for 10 years before there was even a route to bid on.

And no, I did not want to swing drive. We could not bid on routes that we wanted to cover like some people have mentioned on this board. It was go in and see what piece of crap you were on today. I have been on 10 different routes in 10 working days. These are not routes with nice grid streets and street signs ; these are mostly rural routes. I have had my route changed 3 times before I left the building. I have been called back to the building after starting a route and having the NDA delivered only to be sent back out on a different route in another truck. Swing driving here is hell on earth.

dino

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Out here in California you bid on a route and thats it, its yours untill you decide to give it up. The problem was up untill roughly 5 years ago they either put nothing up for bid or they seem to make all routes training routes. So it seems that no matter what the situation Management allways wants their cake and eat to. But Im of the mind that untill you get your own route you have no idea how great this job can be......it took me 8 years.

helenofcalifornia

Ditto, Brown, ditto. Once you get your own route, it's much better. I still don't understand why, apparently, the rest of the country must re-bid every two years. What is the rational behind this? Anybody know?

Here it is because the rank and file want the rebids so that is the way the union negotiates the contract. I suppose the rational thinking is that if you bid a route that turns out to be a bad fit for you, wait out the two years and you can try another one. If it were up to the company there would be no bid routes period. That way they could assign routes to their whim and advantage.

NoStress

its has nothing to do with how long you've been working for the company. its the simple fact that your route has change and merged with another route alongside it. you have the say as to where you want to go only if its 51% yours thats why all the other routes are not effected. its still your route but just not the complete route some of the route goes to the left and some goes to the right whoever has 51% has the say. best of luck and always notify your BA!