RPCDs working the preload

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Either someone was loading their own truck off the clock and a senior driver filed on it.

Or the company was not going by seniority on the extra work list, and a senior driver who didnt get a call filed.

There we go again.....
Not it all

gman042

Your post made it sound as if you were coming in to load your own truck, on your own time.

A thousand apologies

If you will notice in my opening post that I said "operations USING drivers on the preload"
That pretty much says that drivers were being called in to work on the preload as they were short handed

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Extra work does count. All hours worked count towards your 9.5.

This is the way I read the language.

Extra work does not count against your 9.5
Only on dispatched hours
Not until Friday when DOT hours are affected

My BA said the same thing to me when the issue came up.

This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy. I've run into a handful of issues like this, where the language seems pretty clear, but then I am told that it doesn't work that way. I have asked for panel decisions, or any other information that would demonstrate an understanding between the union and the company that is different than the language in the contract, so far I've gotten nothing.

I'll ask again, how can anyone be expected to know their rights when, at very least, the contract doesn't tell the whole story? Well, I know what I'm gonna bring up at the next union meeting.

35years

Gravy route
How it works here, tested by grievance and varied by BA...

Drivers who voluntarily work preload can still file 9.5 grievances but preload hours do not count towards 9.5 hours.

The principle is you can not simultaneously volunteer for more hours the file a grievance for excessive hours,

It works out well for drivers who want to be off at a decent hour for family stuff but also want a larger paycheck. But since preload hours happen before driving hours, senior drivers get the chance at the extra work regardless of being on the 9.5 list.

You can also volunteer to work, ,say, a 6th shift Saturday, even though you don't want the OT the oth er days of the week.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How it works here, tested by grievance and varied by BA...

Drivers who voluntarily work preload can still file 9.5 grievances but preload hours do not count towards 9.5 hours.

The principle is you can not simultaneously volunteer for more hours the file a grievance for excessive hours,

It works out well for drivers who want to be off at a decent hour for family stuff but also want a larger paycheck. But since preload hours happen before driving hours, senior drivers get the chance at the extra work regardless of being on the 9.5 list.

You can also volunteer to work, ,say, a 6th shift Saturday, even though you don't want the OT the oth er days of the week.
Winner.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes
This is true
Extra work is not available to you if you do not have enough DOT hours to fulfill your driving obligation. Driving is your primary responsibility.
This happened to me once. Preload work was not an option on Friday as I needed all available hours to deliver
I’ve seen plenty of guys only have 6-8 hours left on Friday because they worked preload all week.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy. I've run into a handful of issues like this, where the language seems pretty clear, but then I am told that it doesn't work that way. I have asked for panel decisions, or any other information that would demonstrate an understanding between the union and the company that is different than the language in the contract, so far I've gotten nothing.

I'll ask again, how can anyone be expected to know their rights when, at very least, the contract doesn't tell the whole story? Well, I know what I'm gonna bring up at the next union meeting.
This is the company saying well it’s not fair they ask for extra work and are on the 9.5 and the union basically saying yeah you’re right. It doesn’t read that way at all.

Staydryitsraining

We have a new center manager that is trying to get away from drivers working on the preload. He offered local sorters a chance to double shift and 1 or 2 are doing that. Bosses are getting sick of juggling people on the 9/5 list and then keeping the preload/drivers under 9 hours. Sounds like the guys that want longer days are going to get them in a package car.
Been a couple places. Where I'm at now you dont get ot for double shifting. I couldnt believe when someone told me. Pters only get ot for over 5 in a shift.

Jstpeachy

We have a couple rpcd that come in an hour before preload wraps up and helps clear fly bys/ stack outs etc, and one of two that work preload shift Saturday’s a few times a month (we only have a few trucks doing ground Saturday’s, everyone else loads half of Monday’s volume)

Jstpeachy

Wrong on that
Extra work is just that....extra
9.5 is only for dispatch on road hours

Our building just had an issue with this- everyone thought preload time worked didn’t count towards 9.5 but it does. So that driver isn’t getting the option to come in as early/as many days anymore

gman042

Our building just had an issue with this- everyone thought preload time worked didn’t count towards 9.5 but it does. So that driver isn’t getting the option to come in as early/as many days anymore

It seems the union and UPS need to get some clarity on this issue.
Say locals say yes
And some say no

As I see it, RPCDs are just that....drivers
And we can be regulated by the 9.5 if we want it
If we request extra work, then 9.5 goes out the window.
As stated earlier, you cannot request extra work and file too if violated

542thruNthru

Say locals say yes
And some say no

I agree with the last part. I though you were saying that if you drive over 9.5 you can file even though you agreed to extra work in the preload.

Jstpeachy

Say locals say yes
And some say no

Seems like a logical viewpoint to me. I’m in the southern supplement, not sure if it’s the building that makes a difference in interpretation or supplement language but that’s what is said at my building.

35years

Gravy route
The problem comes in because the extra work is prior to normal scheduled work.
Extra work by contract must be offered by seniority.

The driver can not be expected to know if he will be out over 9.5 before his shift. It is different than volunteering at the end of your shift.

9.5 problems have to be dealt with on a day to day basis.

So no one could say to a 9.5 list driver he cant volunteer for a 6th shift...Why...Because he has to be offered the extra work by seniority and will not necessarily go over 9.5 on his 6th shift. The same logic applies to accepting extra preload work. The driver can not anticipate violating 9.5 three hours prior to his day.

If they offer the extra work to anyone they have to offer it to all as long as DOT hours are not a problem. So they can not exclude a senior driver just because he is on the 9.5 list.

At the same time the center management team has to be able to dispatch a reasonable amount of regular work for the driver. In my opinion the solution makes sense to not count the preload work towards 9.5.

Our management team initially said if you volunteer for the preload you can not file 9.5. This was straightened out by grievances. We have drivers filing 9.5s and working preload. The preload hours just don't count.

Now it would be different if a small center runs a driver sort (every driver sorting everyday as normal scheduled work). Then the preload work would count for 9.5s...Not extra and not voluntary work.

Now if the extra work was forced then it would count towards 9.5...Such as requiring an early punch for haz-mat training.

Last edited:
The problem comes in because the extra work is prior to normal scheduled work.
Extra work by contract must be offered by seniority.

The driver can not be expected to know if he will be out over 9.5 before his shift.

9.5 problems have to be dealt with on a day to day basis.

So no one could say to a 9.5 list driver he cant volunteer for a 6th shift...Why...Because he has to be offered the extra work by seniority and will not nessesarily go over 9.5 on his 6th shift. same logic applies to accepting extra preload work. the driver can not anticipate violating 9.5 three hours prior to his day.

If they offer the extra work to anyone they have to offer it to all as long as DOT hours are not a problem. So they can not exclude a senior driver just because he is on the 9.5 list.

At the same time the center management team has to be able to dispatch a reasonable amount of regular work for the driver. In my opinion the solution makes sense to not count the preload work towards 9.5.
I disagree. You get on the 9.5. list because you don't want to work the excessive hours all week but yet you volunteer for extra work?

I can understand wanting to start earlier and getting done earlier but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

There is a reason for this

That’s how they want it