RPCDs working the preload

barnyard

KTM rider
You can also volunteer to work, ,say, a 6th shift Saturday, even though you don't want the OT the oth er days of the week.

We have a couple of 9/5 guys that will work on the occasional Saturday. I do it once or twice a year, usually at peak, when there is no 9/5.

Overpaid Union Thug

Seems like the logical
How it works here, tested by grievance and varied by BA...

Drivers who voluntarily work preload can still file 9.5 grievances but preload hours do not count towards 9.5 hours.

The principle is you can not simultaneously volunteer for more hours the file a grievance for excessive hours,

It works out well for drivers who want to be off at a decent hour for family stuff but also want a larger paycheck. But since preload hours happen before driving hours, senior drivers get the chance at the extra work regardless of being on the 9.5 list.

You can also volunteer to work, ,say, a 6th shift Saturday, even though you don't want the OT the oth er days of the week.

This seems to be the most logical reasoning.

35years

Gravy route
I disagree. You get on the 9.5. list because you don't want to work the excessive hours all week but yet you volunteer for extra work?

I can understand wanting to start earlier and getting done earlier but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
By the same reasoning should the senior driver be excluded from working a Saturday (6th punch) just because he is on the list?

You see the problem here with violating seniority.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It seems the union and UPS need to get some clarity on this issue.
Say locals say yes
And some say no

As I see it, RPCDs are just that....drivers
And we can be regulated by the 9.5 if we want it
If we request extra work, then 9.5 goes out the window.
As stated earlier, you cannot request extra work and file too if violated
You should absolutely be able to. The contract only says will reduce ot. Me taking advantage of the fact that they can’t staff the preload properly should not effect that in anyway.

Now you can’t take extra work in the evening and then bitch but am time. sure they’ve got plenty of time to make adjustments. .

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I disagree. You get on the 9.5. list because you don't want to work the excessive hours all week but yet you volunteer for extra work?

I can understand wanting to start earlier and getting done earlier but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The drivers are volunteering to help out when the need arises. It is the company that is asking them to come in early. They are constrained by seniority who they ask, and the language does not support excluding drivers from 9/5 protection based on extra work. If you ask me it is the company who wants to have their cake and eat it too. Letting them off the hook for 9/5 just helps enable their refusal to staff properly.

The drivers are volunteering to help out when the need arises. It is the company that is asking them to come in early. They are constrained by seniority who they ask, and the language does not support excluding drivers from 9/5 protection based on extra work. If you ask me it is the company who wants to have their cake and eat it too. Letting them off the hook for 9/5 just helps enable their refusal to staff properly.
22.4 drivers will save us all ..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
These are the areas where the union used to push the issue. Now we’re told come on guys be reasonable