RTW & HOA

rod

Retired 22 years
I think maybe you would feel differently if you were stuck next door to a real weirdo......next door in Cali is usually 8 feet away. 8 feet away from an "artist" can be traumatic.

As long as they don't crank up their music all night long and don't turn their yard into a junk yard I can't picture myself caring. When someone tells me I can't put a Direct TV dish on my roof or park my new truck outside for the night---then I would have a problem with that. I could never live in HOA type of neighborhood.

clean hairy

There is one on youtube about a 17 year old who bought a nicely restored stock 1965 Ford Pickup. (even has the original AM radio)
He is not allowed to park it the driveway, the rules state pickups and SUV's must be garage parked. Yet, SUV's are routinely parked on driveways.
Now, if this makes any sense, he could sell the pickup, get a beater car belching smoke, with different color body panels and duct tape holding it together, and that would be no issue, because it is not a pickup.
Another one is a Woman who is being fined for having brown places on her lawn in the middle of a drought, where watering is prohibited.
More than one has been on the news of HOA's limiting when a person can fly the American Flag.
The show Flip or Flop was repainting a house they bought, and the HOA President stopped by to let them know the color they were painting was not on the approved list of colors.
Another is a man who was fined $5,000 for planting trees that were too short.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Another difference between the two, is that technically you "own" your Union membership as long as you're a dues payer in good standing, and you have access to all the benefits; representation, guaranteed pay, healthcare, etc. A non paying member is legally protected and "entitled" to the same in an RTW state.

In an HOA, you usually own the lot and house, but the HOA owns the community pool, clubhouse, park, hiking trails etc. Your fees pay for the upkeep on those things. I see no reason why an HOA couldn't just agree to bar you from those things if you chose not to join. They wouldn't however, because it would weaken the HOA overall, and there's no law forcing them to do so, as there is with RTW.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In an HOA, you usually own the lot and house, but the HOA owns the community pool, clubhouse, park, hiking trails etc. Your fees pay for the upkeep on those things. I see no reason why an HOA couldn't just agree to bar you from those things if you chose not to join. They wouldn't however, because it would weaken the HOA overall, and there's no law forcing them to do so, as there is with RTW.
I've been on the Board of 2 HOA and that is what we did.
All residents had to be a member of the HOA but "Community" assets usage had to pay a recreational fee.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I've been on the Board of 2 HOA and that is what we did.
All residents had to be a member of the HOA but "Community" assets usage had to pay a recreational fee.

So, were there members who did not pay any fees that belonged to the HOA, but opted out of the rec areas?

moreluck

golden ticket member
In our HOA, use the facilities or not, you pay. I've been here 14 years and used the pool twice.....and that was accompanying guests of mine.

Johney

I've lived in two HOA neighborhoods and both had people on the board caught stealing funds for personal use. Never again. Condo Commandos.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
As long as they don't crank up their music all night long and don't turn their yard into a junk yard I can't picture myself caring. When someone tells me I can't put a Direct TV dish on my roof or park my new truck outside for the night---then I would have a problem with that. I could never live in HOA type of neighborhood.
And don't even get me started on
Pi z z ing off the back deck