RTW- Leaving the Union.

coolslice

Your integrity is being assulted due to your hypocrisy

That's my point. You judge a person's integrity by their views on a union. Think about that for a second. It makes no sense at all. That, my friend, is CLEARLY a mentality developed by and shared by a cult. It's not a good look, but if you want to own it, then go for it.

tourists24

That's my point. You judge a person's integrity by their views on a union. Think about that for a second. It makes no sense at all. That, my friend, is CLEARLY a mentality developed by and shared by a cult. It's not a good look, but if you want to own it, then go for it.
It’s not what your view of the union is. It’s that you are in a union job yet think you don’t need to pay the dues simply because you’re in a rtw state. That’s where your integrity is questioned

8000Shelf

At this point, I'm not sure. Like I said, UPS HAS to pay high wages to get people to do our job. We don't sit on a nice office watching the paint dry for 8 hours for our wage. We make the company billions and they can't afford to have a bunch of bums in there working for $15 hours that quit every other week.

I can tell you that the part-timers and the new 22.4 hires probably have a very different opinion than yours about "how good we have it."
You can't be serious... The company WANTS high turnover! And they'd love to pay $15/hr! Have you ever looked into UPS's MGMT style "By Stress"?! A company that wanted to keep it's workforce would never employ such tactics.

coolslice

Again, people didn't vote. So who are you going to blame?

I can tell you that my standard of living has went up quite nicely over the decades

Our pension contributions was very little when I started, way below Master freight, now they pay a lot more into the pensions.

You're making the assumption that a vote has meaning. It doesn't. It shouldn't matter how many people vote. An election should never be null and void based on the number of participants, but that's exactly what we had with this last contract. Who do I blame? Well, it think it's pretty obvious.

The teamsters sold our pension to UPS, so that's kind of telling. In this job, we should be able to retire with full benefits after 25 years of service. The expectation of someone needing to be a package car driver for 35 years to get the full pension and benefits is a joke IMO. I think a lot of people here are comparing our pension after 35+ years of service to most other jobs 20 to 25 years of service pension. Apples to apples, I personally don't think our pension is that great. I've certainly seen MUCH better.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
This is the dumbest thing I've read yet. Freeload? I earn every MF'n cent I make. I don't owe the union a damn thing for allowing me to destroy my body and work long hours in conditions that the average person wouldn't tolerate for more than an hour. You really need to look at what we do for a living compared to other jobs before you start acting as if the union has done me a favor by allowing me to go to work. Ultimately, we work for UPS. If they want you there, they'll keep your there. If they want you gone, the union won't stop that. A lawyer will give you much better representation than some union guy who just drunkenly stumbled in off the golf course.

I worked at FedEx Express for 5 years, and wish I'd never have quit, to be honest. I still have friends that work there, and you're right, they don't make what I do. However, they don't work as hard as I do. They make about 60, and I make about 90. The difference is that while we have essentially become a moving company due to the number of irregs we deal with, they ride around in an air conditioned van delivering letters. They still get retirement and health insurance, and they will probably be able to walk after they retire. Is what we do worth the extra 30K (assuming you're not 22.4?) That's your decision.

Of course my post seems stupid to you because You don’t get it and probably never will. That’s why I hope you get to experience what others outside of UPS make and get to experience the joy of paying 2-3 hundred a week for crap high deductible insurance.

Funny, you blame the union for how hard the job is when it is management that dispatches you and credit the company for paying top wage and benefits that are a result of years of contract negotiations. Hell If you want to be union free so bad why not become a sup here at UPS?

You talk about working hard, People work just as hard for a lot less at fed ex ground, Amazon and countless other jobs. Try roofing for a few weeks in the hot sun for half of what you make..

You talk about us being institutionalized but it’s you that is out of touch with the reality of what wages, benefits and working conditions are for the average blue collar American.

Before UPS I spent 15 plus years as a flat rate mechanic at dealerships,that :censored2: sucked.. I worked my ass off on a commission based plan for a lot less than I make now with nothing to show for it, no retirement, :censored2: benefits etc. then spent a few years in a municipal mechanic job before I found out how much more UPS mechanics make. I have a skilled trade and many thousands in tools and brought years of training and learned skills to the table for only a little more than a top rate driver, but less overall because you guys get more OT we also beat the :censored2: out of our bodies. Maybe if you spent years working outside of UPS in non union environment in recent years you would get it.

Some of you long time drivers are so out of touch with reality it is sickening. I have heard some bitch about teamcare and how we have to pay a 10 dollar co pay

I am in the IAM union but we have the same teamcare plan you guys have, when I met my wife who has spent her career in Human Resources she was shocked at how good our benefit package is. She had a very generous plan at her company but dropped hers because ours had better coverage and lower deductibles and it was zero cost, where hers was 60 a week.

Seriously, you have no idea how good you have it. Maybe someday you will work outside a collective bargained environment in today’s workplace and appreciate what you have at UPS because of collective bargaining.

You're making the assumption that a vote has meaning. It doesn't. It shouldn't matter how many people vote. An election should never be null and void based on the number of participants, but that's exactly what we had with this last contract. Who do I blame? Well, it think it's pretty obvious.

The teamsters sold our pension to UPS, so that's kind of telling. In this job, we should be able to retire with full benefits after 25 years of service. The expectation of someone needing to be a package car driver for 35 years to get the full pension and benefits is a joke IMO. I think a lot of people here are comparing our pension after 35+ years of service to most other jobs 20 to 25 years of service pension. Apples to apples, I personally don't think our pension is that great. I've certainly seen MUCH better.
Well if we would have gotten 50% of the people to vote this contract would have gotten voted down.

As far as the pension goes the company pays a lot of money into our plan. Many other factors caused it to be not as healthy as it used to. Also many places don't have a pension plan anymore, maybe a matching 401k up to a couple of %

8000Shelf

Can you please name the companies in 2019 that provide pensions that aren't unionized or government? Go ahead, I'll wait...

coolslice

You can't be serious... The company WANTS high turnover! And they'd love to pay $15/hr! Have you ever looked into UPS's MGMT style "By Stress"?! A company that wanted to keep it's workforce would never employ such tactics.

The company will be fine with high turnover once they get everything in place, and most of it already is. Orion, mapnav, 22.4, weekend delivery, PVD's, surepost, drones. It's all designed to get rid of us through attrition. Guess who has allowed all of this to be setup? As far as our work environment, it's FAR worse than the average job. UPS has created that culture, and obviously the union hasn't been very effective in stopping it.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

Ohh wow.. you are so out of touch with reality. Other jobs with 20 25 year pensions..

Can you provide info on these jobs with 20 year and out plans?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't know what's funnier....

That @coolslice started this thread, or keeps coming back to justify his position.

Just call the union hall and ask them, I'm sure they'd be helpful.

I'm going to help him now.

I have decided to send a certified letter stating my desire to leave.

Good deal.

That is going to help form the paper trail.

What you will get back in return, is a certified letter from the Local.

You
will be required to appear in person with a valid State ID, proof of employment, and

fill out the paperwork during the normal business hours of the Local Union.

Don't think you or your RTW lawyer is so smart.

-Bug-

coolslice

Ohh wow.. you are so out of touch with reality. Other jobs with 20 25 year pensions..

Can you provide info on these jobs with 20 year and out plans?

You can't be that brainwashed. I can set you up today with our fire dept or our local corrections facility.

coolslice

I don't know what's funnier....

That @coolslice started this thread, or keeps coming back to justify his position.

I'm going to help him now.

Good deal.

That is going to help form the paper trail.

What you will get back in return, is a certified letter from the Local.

You
will be required to appear in person with a valid State ID, proof of employment, and

fill out the paperwork during the normal business hours of the Local Union.

Don't think you or your RTW lawyer is so smart.

-Bug-

My God, anything but that! It would be harder to find the president at the hall during normal business hours than it would for me to show up there.

Like I said, any attempt to prevent an employee from leaving the union is a felony in this state with stiff fines payable to the employee. I think my lawyer and myself are a lot smarter than you think, and I'll be just fine.

You should call this forum union ass lickers instead of Union issues, LOL!