RTW- Leaving the Union.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I swear reading through some of your post made me feel more dumb. I can’t speak for them all but I was a part timer now 22.4. Everyone complains about having to work weekends, but I came from a sales job that had just as crappy hours. I’ve got friends with degrees, myself included, that work nursing, landscaping, construction, etc. with not as much pay with just as crappy hours if not worse. Those 9-5 Monday-Friday jobs are long gone. At least here I’ll have a better paying job with much better benefits thanks to the union. I’m 23. Even if I do stay with the company 35 years I'll be able to retire with full benefits at 58 thanks to the union!!!
it's pointless arguing with this person. I put him on ignore.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
I can kinda of understand where he is coming from. I have list a lot of faith in the union myself. With they being said we still need to vote on the contracts. More importantly we need to vote our leadership out of office.

I couldn't agree more that we need to vote those idiots out asap. I've lost some faith as well but when looking at the benefits we do get OP needs to be thankful. If ups had their way I'm sure it would be set up along the lines of FedEx ground but our Union prevents stuff like that. I know for a fact ups doesn't want to pay us what they do nor do they want to give the benefits they do. So thank God for the teamsters who have helped me provide a quality of life for my family I could only ever have dreamed of as a kid. From the hood to the suburbs just by slanging boxes. I'll always appreciate the union for that.

coolslice

I still haven't figured out why you came here for answers if your lawyer is so smart.

I came here to see if anyone had the union blow them off and lie to them like they have to me. What I didn't expect was the comparison of being a teamster to being a Marine at Iwo Jima.

There's so much crap flying around here that I have flies on my screen just trying to read it all. Yes, the laws are quite clear to everyone but the union. A lawyer isn't really needed, but I just happen to have a friend who is one and is proficient with RTW laws.

I couldn't agree more that we need to vote those idiots out asap. I've lost some faith as well but when looking at the benefits we do get OP needs to be thankful. If ups had their way I'm sure it would be set up along the lines of FedEx ground but our Union prevents stuff like that. I know for a fact ups doesn't want to pay us what they do nor do they want to give the benefits they do. So thank God for the teamsters who have helped me provide a quality of life for my family I could only ever have dreamed of as a kid. From the hood to the suburbs just by slanging boxes. I'll always appreciate the union for that.
The problem is everyone bitches but nobody gets involved
I almost feel sorry for the next generation of UPSers

8000Shelf

I actually agree with coolslice. If you were talking 50 years ago, sure. Now adays there is little brotherhood. The new big union is basically wal mart...low wage throwaway jobs for most, bloated salaries and ever-increasing gap for the brass up top. As well as disconnect from shop floors. This isn't the 1950's. IBT is big business and ironically it is what workers have been battling against for decades.
So the solution is to work a union job and collect the benefits that remain but not pay union dues? Better yet not get involved to make changes?

coolslice

So what now? Just give up the fight now and take what crumbs we can get?

That's the point. There is no fight. The union no longer represents you or your interests. The represent themselves and their interests first, but they are pretty skilled at convincing many people that they owe their life to the teamsters, obviously. One really needs to look no further than the last contract and the debacle that was. We were given a Trojan horse and many members still seem to think it's a solid statue of beauty. Hell, they've even convinced the 22.4 guys that they have the best job on earth.

That's the point. There is no fight. The union no longer represents you or your interests. The represent themselves and their interests first, but they are pretty skilled at convincing many people that they owe their life to the teamsters, obviously. One really needs to look no further than the last contract and the debacle that was. We were given a Trojan horse and many members still seem to think it's a solid statue of beauty. Hell, they've even convinced the 22.4 guys that they have the best job on earth.
If people voted it would be different. I'm not going to argue with you on a Sunday. Yes I'll agree with you that our leadership doesn't have our best interest at heart . Those 22.4 jobs are a gold mine for the teamsters.

But if we had a strong enough voter turnout we might get a better contract

coolslice

So the solution is to work a union job and collect the benefits that remain but not pay union dues? Better yet not get involved to make changes?

Again, what the hell are we paying dues for if we have to get involved and do they work that those that represent us are getting paid for? My job is to pick up and deliver packages. I do my job. Now you're throwing union members under the bus to salvage your argument that the union is perfect except for those bad apples that don't sacrifice their spare time to go out and work at the union hall.

The solution is to do your job, be realistic, and hold those accountable that aren't. The money I make for the company goes right back into paying wages and benefits for other employees, yet you consider me a piece of trash. You can blame me for whatever BS you want, but don't come at with me that the unions problems are also because of me not doing enough for them.

8000Shelf

The state of our Union is not perfect, never has been. But that's just a cop out so you can justify your selfish disposition

coolslice

If people voted it would be different. I'm not going to argue with you on a Sunday. Yes I'll agree with you that our leadership doesn't have our best interest at heart . Those 22.4 jobs are a gold mine for the teamsters.

But if we had a strong enough voter turnout we might get a better contract

No. We won't. You don't get it. Our votes are meaningless. I doubt they even counted them. They had a ready made excuse and obscure bylaw that allowed them to force the contract down our throats without a say.

The voting process is just a dog and pony show meant to make you think you still have control. Trust me, you don't. When you figure out that you're paying for an illusion, things will start to make more sense to you.

542thruNthru

No. We won't. You don't get it. Our votes are meaningless. I doubt they even counted them. They had a ready made excuse and obscure bylaw that allowed them to force the contract down our throats without a say.

The voting process is just a dog and pony show meant to make you think you still have control. Trust me, you don't. When you figure out that you're paying for an illusion, things will start to make more sense to you.

giphy-48.gif

coolslice

The state of our Union is not perfect, never has been. But that's just a cop out so you can justify your selfish disposition

Why don't you pay more due to the union to prove how committed you are? You homers stop WELL short of that for some reason. I don't see anyone here advocating for an increase in dues to help out the "brotherhood." As balls deep as some of you are in this scheme, it's a wonder you don't give them half your check in hopes for negotiated contract with God after you die.

Last edited:

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Yes, I have never needed the union. I have never asked them for anything. I have watched them blow my dues for years in almost every way possible. They're so crooked that they constantly fight and sue themselves. If you think I wouldn't sleep well at night knowing I'm not throwing my money away to liberal supporting crooks, you're sorely mistaken. I'll sleep better.

If you've needed the union many times in your career, then I could see why you'd stay in because you're a crap employee that is either too stupid to follow the rules, or you're a driver that sucks so bad that you run 2 hours over every day and constantly need help. Perhaps you've been caught stealing something OR just can't handle the job without someone there to make excuses for your lazy :censored2:? IDK. You probably need them to hold your hand.

I think the problem is some of you have been brain washed to the point you've lost touch with reality. The union is UPS's biotch. All they care about is your dues. UPS does whatever it wants with the union, and the union comes out to tell you how they saved your life. Nobody that works at UPS gets overpaid. I earn every cent I make. I miss all the school programs, dinners, games, and so on. I get paid a lot because I work a lot, not because I stand against the wall and get paid a union wage.
Question, you say you never needed the union? So where did you get you wage, healthcare and pension? Asking for a friend.

8000Shelf

Why don't you pay more due to the union to prove how committed you are? You homers stop WELL short of that for some reason. I don't see anyone here advocating for an increase in due to help out the "brotherhood." As balls deep as some of you are in this scheme, it's a wonder you don't give them half your check in hopes for negotiated contract with God after you die.

^ This guy... Smh

upschuck

I came here to see if anyone had the union blow them off and lie to them like they have to me. What I didn't expect was the comparison of being a teamster to being a Marine at Iwo Jima.

There's so much crap flying around here that I have flies on my screen just trying to read it all. Yes, the laws are quite clear to everyone but the union. A lawyer isn't really needed, but I just happen to have a friend who is one and is proficient with RTW laws.
Looking for a class action lawsuit?

coolslice

We've been hammering a way at that point since page one. Nothing yet but good luck

So, again. Put a value on them "negotiating" for me without listening to what we actually want? What's it worth over a career? I get docked every week for something they half ass do every 5 years. The rest goes to roving union parties and bloated salaries, hookers, and beer. What is fair? Let me guess, it's whatever the union tells you is fair. They need hundreds of millions of dollars to make sure we get a contract forced down our throats with no way to protest it. Who am I to question that? I see my check as money I've earned, you all see it as a gift from Hoffa.