RTW- Leaving the Union.

FedEx. That was easy. Got any more brain busters?
Ask someone in UPS management what the difference is between having a union or not having one. Go back 10 + years when the market was crashing. We still got our raises but they suspended managements 401k match. We don't have the pay for health insurance but management has the pay. We still get money out interested our pension, they no longer do.

coolslice

FedEx does NOT get a pension my friend. Even if they did, in a dream world you apparently live in, refer to my previous post about our Union setting the standard for the PKG delivery industry

FedEx is comprised of many different sub companies. FedEx express absolutely does get a pension. FedEx ground probably doesn't, but nothing about that job is normal.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
BUG had it right when he said if you don't like how the union operates then work at it to make change. Get involved . There will always be complainers ( cowards) and people of action ( doers)

Complainers have no one to blame but themselves.

coolslice

Ask someone in UPS management what the difference is between having a union or not having one. Go back 10 + years when the market was crashing. We still got our raises but they suspended managements 401k match. We don't have the pay for health insurance but management has the pay. We still get money out interested our pension, they no longer do.

I get no 401K match, paid sick days, or stock options. Management hired after 2007 (I think) lost their pension, but they get benefits that we do not. With promotions, their compensation package doesn't take very long to make our look pretty weak.

coolslice

BUG had it right when he said if you don't like how the union operates then work at it to make change. Get involved . There will always be complainers ( cowards) and people of action ( doers)

Complainers have no one to blame but themselves.

Why? According to everyone here, the union is infallible. You all can question my integrity, but unlike union brass, I actually work for my money. I wouldn't feel right taking other people's pay by pissing on their backs and telling them that they should appreciate it. Besides, I pay my dues (for now) and have for many years. That IS my involvement. Do you want me to pay and do their job for them too? I don't think so.

coolslice

Really.

You lied....

And got beat up by your peers.

:biggrin:

I respect the fact that you like the union. I don't respect the fact that your love of the union makes you act like an angry teenager with a rash on your balls. I sure as hell wouldn't call what has happened here being beat up. I won't tell what I think it is, but I think the comments speak for themselves.

coolslice

I can tell you that I definitely made more than my OC

My on road sup started the same time I did and made more than me last year. Our district manager was making 10K total a week when he retired. I'm thinking our center manager makes around 175K a year.

I'm sure the PT hub sups don't make jack, but upper management does just fine. I certainly wouldn't try to paint the picture that the company screws them.

rickyb

First off, I'm not posting this to debate the value of our union. If you love the union, I respect that.

I live in a RTW state, and I'm going to remove myself from the union for a couple of personal reasons. Our state law says that you can leave the union at any point after the contract that was in place when the state became a RTW state expires, including when that contract went under an extension. It also says that any attempt by the union to prevent a person from leaving is a felony and is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000.

In my situation, I have asked stewards about leaving over the last year. The canned answer is that I can't. They said there was a window of one week prior to our most recent contract in which we were allowed to leave. The union never mentioned this at any point to its members, and I know it's not legally true. Essentially, they are lying to keep keep me as a dues paying member, which as I said, is a potential felony. Now they are just blowing me off and refusing to answer my questions about what I need to formally do.

I have decided to send a certified letter stating my desire to leave. I fully expect the union to blow this off or create some other lie to wiggle out of it. This is why I already have a RTW attorney helping me.

My question is for anyone that has gone through this process, and what you experienced. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to do this quickly and efficiently and not be drown into a childish situation that requires legal action and wasted time.
the whole RTW laws are a way of breaking unions. congrats for falling for it. look at america's unionization rate; its 1/5th what it was 90 years ago. pay your union dues, and then i want you to start listening to and donating to richard wolff and democracy at work. michael hudson is good too.

8000Shelf

My on road sup started the same time I did and made more than me last year. Our district manager was making 10K total a week when he retired. I'm thinking our center manager makes around 175K a year.

I'm sure the PT hub sups don't make jack, but upper management does just fine. I certainly wouldn't try to paint the picture that the company screws them.
Hanging out with the sups, eh? Never would've guessed it

Returntosender

I'm just a few short years from retirement, and I've never needed the union one time. The union is a bunch of scamming, fear mongering, do-nothing idiots. I'd rather keep my own money, and I sure as hell don't want my money going to tell me to vote for some :censored2: bag
. What makes you certain. You won’t acquire a terminal illness near retirement and die before you actually retire?
Seen multiple people near retirement just die slowly,( kidney failure and dialysis is not cheap, cancer and heart failure ).

Returntosender

My God, anything but that! It would be harder to find the president at the hall during normal business hours than it would for me to show up there.

Like I said, any attempt to prevent an employee from leaving the union is a felony in this state with stiff fines payable to the employee. I think my lawyer and myself are a lot smarter than you think, and I'll be just fine.

You should call this forum union ass lickers instead of Union issues, LOL!
65856D61-962A-49F8-959E-43B3A908C10A.jpeg

coolslice

Hanging out with the sups, eh? Never would've guessed it

Yeah, well, I'm an adult and don't choose my friends and enemies by their job titles. Most all of the drivers at my center have a good relationship with management because we all understand we're not cult members or in a street gang. We are there for the same reason- to make a living. I don't disrespect people unless they give me a reason to. That said, we have had drivers that have beat their wife to death, been caught stealing hospice meds, OD'd on heroin, stolen from businesses, harassed female customers, and on and on. I'm not about to call these people my "brother" just because we are in a union together.

Decent people are not a title first. They are a person first. I can't believe I'm having to explain this to another human being.

“I can tell you that the part-timers and the new 22.4 hires probably have a very different opinion than yours about "how good we have it."
I swear reading through some of your post made me feel more dumb. I can’t speak for them all but I was a part timer now 22.4. Everyone complains about having to work weekends, but I came from a sales job that had just as crappy hours. I’ve got friends with degrees, myself included, that work nursing, landscaping, construction, etc. with not as much pay with just as crappy hours if not worse. Those 9-5 Monday-Friday jobs are long gone. At least here I’ll have a better paying job with much better benefits thanks to the union. I’m 23. Even if I do stay with the company 35 years I'll be able to retire with full benefits at 58 thanks to the union!!!