RTW- Leaving the Union.

8000Shelf

So, again. Put a value on them "negotiating" for me without listening to what we actually want? What's it worth over a career? I get docked every week for something they half ass do every 5 years. The rest goes to roving union parties and bloated salaries, hookers, and beer. What is fair? Let me guess, it's whatever the union tells you is fair. They need hundreds of millions of dollars to make sure we get a contract forced down our throats with no way to protest it. Who am I to question that? I see my check as money I've earned, you all see it as a gift from Hoffa.
One thing I can see your union provided you... A 2 day weekend to sit around and post bull:censored2: on internet forms, when a guy like you should be working 7 days a week with a smile because it's better than paying dues, right?

coolslice

Didn’t u hear his answer? He said UPS has to pay that much to get workers. It’s not the union

How many people do you have beating down the door at your place? Have you noticed that new drivers now have long hair, tattoos, dred locks and so on? This is what UPS has to work with now. They've had to adjust their standards because the rest of the world just doesn't see our job as being the same thing as winning the Powerball like you do. Nobody is leaving their white collar job or coming out of college with the hopes of delivering boxes all weekend. Those days are long gone.

coolslice

One thing I can see your union provided you... A 2 day weekend to sit around and post bull:censored2: on internet forms, when a guy like you should be working 7 days a week with a smile because it's better than paying dues, right?

Shouldn't you be out at the union hall cleaning toilets and washing the company cars for them? It's the least you could do for getting 2 days off while working the hours of a 6 day week or more in 5 days.

rod

Retired 22 years
Same Local but our strike camp was much nicer. We had a BIG Army tent complete with cots, generators, lights, grills, a port-a-pot and a beer distributor friend a half a block away who kept us supplied with ice, pop and beer. We could have held out for months. The local Police belonged to the Teamster Union also so we never had any hassle with them. We also had an inside employee who kept us informed what management was up to.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Shouldn't you be out at the union hall cleaning toilets and washing the company cars for them? It's the least you could do for getting 2 days off while working the hours of a 6 day week or more in 5 days.
I get it. I’ve seen guys like you from time to time. The runners that think performance will keep your nose brown. Everything you have at UPS was provided by union collective bargaining. There are drivers gladly doing this job for 18.75. UPS doesn’t need to pay 100k to get people. You’re either delusional or a troll. Now screw!

coolslice

I get it. I’ve seen guys like you from time to time. The runners that think performance will keep your nose brown. Everything you have at UPS was provided by union collective bargaining. There are drivers gladly doing this job for 18.75. UPS doesn’t need to pay 100k to get people. You’re either delusional or a troll. Now screw!

Your entire post is a lie. You must be a union employee.

coolslice

From an outsider looking in now I would say that whats happening. I mean ANY TIME you vote yes on a first offer you have to be crazy. The first offer is never the best they can do (no matter what they say).

In the teamster contract world, no means yes.

coolslice

Prove me wrong. Were you not negotiated about $17 an hour since the strike of 97?

FedEx was starting about about $9 an hour at that time and have since doubled that with no negotiations. How much more are part-timers making more now than they were 25 years ago? You could also buy a car for about a third of what it costs now. Of course we have gotten a raise in the past 22 years. I think everyone has.

Trailer monkey

First off, I'm not posting this to debate the value of our union. If you love the union, I respect that.

I live in a RTW state, and I'm going to remove myself from the union for a couple of personal reasons. Our state law says that you can leave the union at any point after the contract that was in place when the state became a RTW state expires, including when that contract went under an extension. It also says that any attempt by the union to prevent a person from leaving is a felony and is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000.

In my situation, I have asked stewards about leaving over the last year. The canned answer is that I can't. They said there was a window of one week prior to our most recent contract in which we were allowed to leave. The union never mentioned this at any point to its members, and I know it's not legally true. Essentially, they are lying to keep keep me as a dues paying member, which as I said, is a potential felony. Now they are just blowing me off and refusing to answer my questions about what I need to formally do.

I have decided to send a certified letter stating my desire to leave. I fully expect the union to blow this off or create some other lie to wiggle out of it. This is why I already have a RTW attorney helping me.

My question is for anyone that has gone through this process, and what you experienced. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to do this quickly and efficiently and not be drown into a childish situation that requires legal action and wasted time.

Yes, I can help you get out without any expense or legal action, QUIT, and get a job at Taco Bell, Wal-Mart, McDonald's or one of thousands of non-union workplaces. We don't want you suffer the burden of guaranteed pay raises, premium free benefits, pension and seniority any longer.

wide load

FedEx was starting about about $9 an hour at that time and have since doubled that with no negotiations. How much more are part-timers making more now than they were 25 years ago? You could also buy a car for about a third of what it costs now. Of course we have gotten a raise in the past 22 years. I think everyone has.
Are you a part timer?

Same Local but our strike camp was much nicer. We had a BIG Army tent complete with cots, generators, lights, grills, a port-a-pot and a beer distributor friend a half a block away who kept us supplied with ice, pop and beer. We could have held out for months. The local Police belonged to the Teamster Union also so we never had any hassle with them. We also had an inside employee who kept us informed what management was up to.
Nice

Trailer monkey

I've been told that before. Being a union person means a lot of things. It means blindly supporting democrats and trying to convince others that the Union is your God. That's not my cup of tea, to put it mildly.

Yes, I worked at FedEx years ago and wish I'd never have quit. I got paid less, but I worked a lot less and wouldn't be partially disabled from work like I am now.

I've given the union THOUSANDS of dollars. It not like I haven't paid my dues for years and years, but now I feel those dues are a waste and would be better served spent on my family instead of corrupt, lazy, fear mongers.

As far as our pay and compensation package, I think others have made much more progress than we have. You can go to a fast food restaurant and make more money than you can starting at UPS. Now everyone is a 22.4 hire, which means they DON'T have all the pay and benefits a RPCD has. Thanks, Teamsters. Pretty soon you'll be working 8 hours or less, and those 22.4 drivers will take all of that OT that pushes our salary to respectable levels.
The benefits are the same for 22.4, it is clear you are nothing but a lying management troll and have never done an honest day's work in your life

B-Brown

wants-more-government-more-government-www-muricatoday-cow-14984134.png

wide load

UPS is the gage for all other delivery companies. Our union negotiated wages drive the industry wages.