Rude customer

tech209

Had some old seahag at a 55+ mobile home community got all mad because she wanted her package delivered to a side door instead at the front door at her so I tell her she can also call the pick ups to have it setup to her preferences, then she says “god your all lazy whats the number again?”

I just look at her and tell her “1-800-pick ups goodbye have a good day “

she goes on yelling “what’s your name? Then try’s to get the truck number and make a mad dash inside

SMH

AKCoverMan

The customers are the only reason we have a job, and everything good about this job comes from them. Doesn’t mean you have to be a kiss ass or subservient or anything but at $100k a year plus pension etc I have a pretty thick skin. (It helps I officiated high school and youth sports for many years lol.)

Rather than try teach this kind of cust a “lesson” that they won’t learn I just continue to be pleasant with them and go along my way. And keep cashing the checks 🤑

So often the motivation behind such behavior actually has nothing to do with you or the package.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
The customers are the only reason we have a job, and everything good about this job comes from them. Doesn’t mean you have to be a kiss ass or subservient or anything but at $100k a year plus pension etc I have a pretty thick skin. (It helps I officiated high school and youth sports for many years lol.)

Rather than try teach this kind of cust a “lesson” that they won’t learn I just continue to be pleasant with them and go along my way. And keep cashing the checks 🤑

So often the motivation behind such behavior actually has nothing to do with you or the package.
100% agree. It’s hard when you first start. To most customers you are not you, you are UPS, and you just gotta accept that. That’s what makes the cool regular customers such a positive part of the day

AKCoverMan

100% agree. It’s hard when you first start. To most customers you are not you, you are UPS, and you just gotta accept that. That’s what makes the cool regular customers such a positive part of the day
So agreed now that I have my own route I have soooo many cool “regulars”. The trick is to take the positive energy from those and let the negative Richards roll off your back.

Also it’s easy to forget the customer perspective... they have no clue what our day and job is like.

Dr.Brownz

I'm not a slave, they will treat me with respect or they can pick their stuff up from the center

Whither

Scofflaw
I average maybe 4-5 complaints a year. On half of them the customer notes that I laughed at them. :wink-very: A few weeks after winning my route a woman went berserk on me for daring to knock on her screen door. Same person who used to place a small handbasket (like you find at the grocery) on the porch with a sign saying 'leave all packages here' and had already hectored me for not leaving a 5 ft tall, 60lb irreg in it. :lol: Sometimes you can't take people seriously

Cowboy Mac

I had a lady yesterday come out of her house as I’m walking back to the truck. “This package doesn’t go here! They live in the back!” Before I could say a word she slams the door.

I go back, knock on the door, and politely say “Ma’am, this package has YOUR address on it. Their address is XXX(1/2) and I can’t remember every single persons name, so if they want their stuff they need to put the right address.” Lady actually apologizes and says you’re right they used to put the right address and she will have to talk to them.

Cowboy Mac

Let alone those who are obviously trying to get rear-ended by you. A friend at work told me that he does his best to stay polite with jerks and always leaves by smiling and saying “Have a great day.” That’s more self control than I usually have. But he says that it drives them crazy.
Absolutely it does. And if there are any people around that are potential witnesses, keeping a cool head makes you look like the good guy and the witness will probably back you up.

Spanky250

Pulled up to a stop one time, tooted the horn, and got the package out of the truck. As I started walking up the driveway, the guy comes out and starts screaming at me, "You effin :censored2:, I'm sick of you blowing that horn, I can hear you all over the neighborhood you :censored2:!"

I stopped walking, and said "Sir, we're required to do it. "

He started screaming again, "No your effing not! I called UPS, they said it's up to the driver! You're just being a effin :censored2:!" Eff you! I'm gonna call whoever I have to, including the governor, to get it stopped! Eff you!"

I calmly said "Sir, you do whatever you think you need to do. In the meantime, here's what's going to happen. If you think you're going to talk to me like that and still expect me to provide a service to you, you're sadly mistaken. So you can come pick this package up at the center tonight, and all future packages for this address are going to be put on Will-Call, you'll have to pick them up also. I will not deliver to this address any more, so you won't have to give yourself a stroke over my horn. Have a nice day."

He starts screaming to give him his effing package while I put it back in the truck and drive away. And I never delivered there again.

Sadly, I heard he passed away a few months later. Probably had a heart attack or a stroke over someone blowing their horn or something...

Steamer

I had a semi truck driver block me in on a dock the other day as I was in the middle of sheeting 70 packages. The docks are in a tight configuration at the back of a large corporate food product building. I need not say the name or risk identification. There is a ramp that I use for my delivery area. And he used the dock next to it blocking me in because there is a wall and tight turn to the ramp. I told him I had to hurry to get my air packages delivered after asking him if he would move. . He told me to "friend off and didn't give a friend". Well then he moved. He moved forward and to the left a bit to let me get enough room to drive out. I opened my window and said "Thank you". He looked dumb founded as I drove away. LOL.

MassWineGuy

Spanky, you actually told the guy that all future deliveries would be will call? I tip my hat to you.

The reason why it’s just never good to disrespect a customer is because to them YOU are UPS (FX in my case). Piss ‘em off and they’ll hate the company. Fine with you and me, but not with management.

Disrespect doesn’t mean kissing 🦷. You can be polite enough that no one could fault you. But frosty enough so they know not to expect anything from your will.

Last edited:

clarnzz

Got to a residential stop today and the customer very rudely said “Hey how come you didn’t deliver to my house when you are on the street behind mine? The app said I was one of the next stops.” I very sternly told her “I can run this route how I want to and can deliver your package by 9 if I want.” She seemed upset that she got her stupid Macy’s package at 6:30. I don’t understand some people.
Lol, EC her :censored2: all winter if you in a bad climate.

clarnzz

I had a guy who’s big German Shepard had me pinned in my truck trying to deliver to the house next door, I heard him say “I don’t like them either” and he kinda thought it was funny. I NI(dog) his house for a couple months while delivering to his neighbors that were a tougher stop on winter. friend those people.

myback

Pulled up to a stop one time, tooted the horn, and got the package out of the truck. As I started walking up the driveway, the guy comes out and starts screaming at me, "You effin *, I'm sick of you blowing that horn, I can hear you all over the neighborhood you *!"

I stopped walking, and said "Sir, we're required to do it. "

He started screaming again, "No your effing not! I called UPS, they said it's up to the driver! You're just being a effin *!" Eff you! I'm gonna call whoever I have to, including the governor, to get it stopped! Eff you!"

I calmly said "Sir, you do whatever you think you need to do. In the meantime, here's what's going to happen. If you think you're going to talk to me like that and still expect me to provide a service to you, you're sadly mistaken. So you can come pick this package up at the center tonight, and all future packages for this address are going to be put on Will-Call, you'll have to pick them up also. I will not deliver to this address any more, so you won't have to give yourself a stroke over my horn. Have a nice day."

He starts screaming to give him his effing package while I put it back in the truck and drive away. And I never delivered there again.

Sadly, I heard he passed away a few months later. Probably had a heart attack or a stroke over someone blowing their horn or something...
Holy fecal matter

Brownnblue

So agreed now that I have my own route I have soooo many cool “regulars”. The trick is to take the positive energy from those and let the negative Richards roll off your back.

Also it’s easy to forget the customer perspective... they have no clue what our day and job is like.
I would say that about 99% of the customers on my route are either a) very nice or b) simply wanting their package with no drama. Yet when you get that rude customer, it always seems to be at the forefront of your mind.

I am getting better at focusing on the 99%. It is not always easy.