Rude customer

Spanky250

I quite agree with you. And it amazes me how polite and self-controlled you were.

I'm always polite and professional to customers. Especially rude ones, nothing shames them quite like being polite and friendly when they're being dicks.

Now when it comes to dealing with management on the other hand...:teethy:

MrBates

So he calls the office and cries like a baby for an hour to the poor old lady OMS to get me fired.

Reminds me if the time when some old lady accused me of misdelivering a package to her neighbors house. I was actually off on that day and it was a runner gunner cover driver. She went on and on about how "if I wanted to KEEP my job I should be more careful"

I didn't have the heart to tell her that it's gonna take a lot more than a misdelivered package to get a teamster fired....smh

Sixth Punch Sense

I had some :censored2: open his door with his baby in his hand motioning me to place his 55 pound package in his foyer. Set it one his front step and said have a nice day. He didn't respond. As I was driving away he was grabbing his package sans baby.

I will set packages inside a house, but it's generally elderly and heavy packages.

MassWineGuy

Definitely. Older people I’ll help by taking something heavy inside. I was once delivering many big, heavy boxes to a store in a small, crowded city with very narrow streets, mostly one way. The closest I could park was 1 1/2 blocks away in an alley and make many trips with a two wheeler. When I arrived at the front door with the first few boxes, the owner motioned me inside and pointed to the back. “Just put them back there in the storage area.” I politely, though probably with a tad of irritation, said that I only deliver things to the front door. Putting stuff anywhere else was not my job. He looked a bit surprised but was fine with it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The customers are the only reason we have a job, and everything good about this job comes from them. Doesn’t mean you have to be a kiss ass or subservient or anything but at $100k a year plus pension etc I have a pretty thick skin. (It helps I officiated high school and youth sports for many years lol.)

Rather than try teach this kind of cust a “lesson” that they won’t learn I just continue to be pleasant with them and go along my way. And keep cashing the checks 🤑

So often the motivation behind such behavior actually has nothing to do with you or the package.
The person getting the package isn’t ups customer though.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Just make conversations with rude people incredibly awkward and let one rip in front of them as loud as you can. They’ll walk away

Last One In

Definitely. Older people I’ll help by taking something heavy inside. I was once delivering many big, heavy boxes to a store in a small, crowded city with very narrow streets, mostly one way. The closest I could park was 1 1/2 blocks away in an alley and make many trips with a two wheeler. When I arrived at the front door with the first few boxes, the owner motioned me inside and pointed to the back. “Just put them back there in the storage area.” I politely, though probably with a tad of irritation, said that I only deliver things to the front door. Putting stuff anywhere else was not my job. He looked a bit surprised but was fine with it.
I learned from a driver 20 plus years ago (sadly he just died), "I am not a stock boy." I bring you the package. I don't set up the floor display.

Spanky250

I got to a house today with a Damage Call Tag. Knocked on the door, the lady answered, I explained that I was here to pick up the damaged item. She said hold on.

She came back to the door with a plastic Wal-Mart shopping bag full of broken glass. I looked at it and said really, what's wrong with you? It has to be in a box. She got really pissy about it, so I just said I'll be back tomorrow, have a nice day...

Est.1998

I got to a house today with a Damage Call Tag. Knocked on the door, the lady answered, I explained that I was here to pick up the damaged item. She said hold on.

She came back to the door with a plastic Wal-Mart shopping bag full of broken glass. I looked at it and said really, what's wrong with you? It has to be in a box. She got really pissy about it, so I just said I'll be back tomorrow, have a nice day...
Funny thing is it probably arrived in a box.
Upon opening the box she saw the item was damaged, called UPS or the shipper and the call tag was issued.
That couldn't have taken any longer than a few days.
So, where is the box the item arrived in?

MassWineGuy

Did a customer ever present you with a box that wasn’t at all taped and ask if you had tape? Once, someone wanted me to take something taped with scotch tape that was falling apart. I told her that not only would it not arrive safely, it probably wouldn’t make it out of our building in one piece.

I get that most people have little knowledge of how freight is handled. Why should they? But it’s not a long walk to imagine what could happen.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Did a customer ever present you with a box that wasn’t at all taped and ask if you had tape? Once, someone wanted me to take something taped with scotch tape that was falling apart. I told her that not only would it not arrive safely, it probably wouldn’t make it out of our building in one piece.

I get that most people have little knowledge of how freight is handled. Why should they? But it’s not a long walk to imagine what could happen.
Hold it upside down and shake it so the stuff falls out right in front of the customer. Then ask for a thank you for showing them how stupid they are for thinking scotch tape is enough.