Rules for calling in newly-seniority, truck loader? Also, entry-level IT?

teemstur

So, I have been seniority for about a month and a half now. Called in once my second week of seniority. Has been 3 weeks since and wondering if it'd be "bad" to call in some time this coming week. I never called in during pre-seniority and right now I'm kind of a "star loader" as the moved me to the heaviest belt in the building and repeatedly tell me that I am "one of the best in the building" (not trying to brag, this is what my PT and FT sup's have told me).

So, would calling in for the second time ever, during my 7th week of seniority, be a bad decision? Have seen a lot of loaders call in 2 times even during pre-sen. and then 3 times after... I don't want to get on the bad side of anyone by calling in again.

Also while I've got people reading this, I'm interested in getting an IT position but don't have any formal certifications. I used to be a technician for a big-box PC store, and I know how to fix damn near any software or hardware problem with computers and networks. Is there any part-time (or FT?) position I can "test" in to at all, or do they all REQUIRE formal certs FULL STOP PERIOD END OF CONVERSATION?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you are planning on being sick "sometime this coming week"? Sounds to me as though you don't really want this job.

Your "Geek Squad" experience is meaningless here as you would be asked to work on servers and other more complex equipment.

Z

ZQXC

Well, well, "star loader", I think you have already found your calling.

Continue to "shine brightly"................

So, I have been seniority for about a month and a half now. Called in once my second week of seniority. Has been 3 weeks since and wondering if it'd be "bad" to call in some time this coming week. I never called in during pre-seniority and right now I'm kind of a "star loader" as the moved me to the heaviest belt in the building and repeatedly tell me that I am "one of the best in the building" (not trying to brag, this is what my PT and FT sup's have told me).

So, would calling in for the second time ever, during my 7th week of seniority, be a bad decision? Have seen a lot of loaders call in 2 times even during pre-sen. and then 3 times after... I don't want to get on the bad side of anyone by calling in again.

Also while I've got people reading this, I'm interested in getting an IT position but don't have any formal certifications. I used to be a technician for a big-box PC store, and I know how to fix damn near any software or hardware problem with computers and networks. Is there any part-time (or FT?) position I can "test" in to at all, or do they all REQUIRE formal certs FULL STOP PERIOD END OF CONVERSATION?
First off go to work. There is no reason unless you are truly ill that you aren't going to work. Nobody died or is dying. Second of all talk to hr about the rest of your question.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

Hey johnny have you seen are star loader today? No ed I havent I think he called in sick! Star loaders cant call in sick there needed all the starry time! Gosh I wish I could of been taught by a star loader! Is there a star sup, star driver, star sorter or star maintenance person you can recommend from your center? My star loader everbody! Give him a big roind of applause!!

sent using smoke signals

J

jibbs

First off go to work. There is no reason unless you are truly ill that you aren't going to work. Nobody died or is dying.

I disagreed with this part. Sometimes you just need to take a day for morale, man.

There's occasionally a day where I'm juggling in my head two choices: either quitting, or calling in. I figure as long as I don't have quitting on my mind every single day then the occasional call-in is most definitely the better choice.

BigBeef42

Some advise-

If u need a day off just schedule one. Ask them a few days before hand. But wait... since you're such a great loader, they definitely wont want to give you a day off. You made the mistake of showing ur Supe your real work ethic. You're going to have to fight for a day off.

They might need one or two more guys to replace you. And trust me, Supes don't want to spend that money.

I used to work hard on the load, that is, until I blew my back out twice and missed weeks of work unintentionally . Go slower, OR else you'll be taking days off to recover. You're making all the wrong choices bro.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So to recap..you've worked here maybe 6 weeks and already called out once and you want to do it again? Seriously? You technically can't take a sick day when you have no available time off...but that's not even the point. If you want your job...get your lazy ass to work. Yes, Jibbs, I hear ya on the I'd like to just throw something and say friend this and quit sometimes...lol. Sometimes we need a mental health day. But the OP takes 2 days in 6 weeks? I haven't called out in 4 months, and I actually HAVE sick days...lol.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

You're a perfect candidate for PT supervision. Go to HR and turn in your letter.

Long story short, it's always "bad" to miss work without scheduling a personal day/having sick days available/having a legitimate excuse. But you won't be fired for it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is the future of ups. In some rural areas I'm sure people still line up for a job
At ups.

However in your cities this is te type of part time employee we attract and it will continue to get harder and harder to find replacements for drivers.

so to recap..you've worked here maybe 6 weeks and already called out once and you want to do it again? Seriously? You technically can't take a sick day when you have no available time off...but that's not even the point. If you want your job...get your lazy ass to work. Yes, Jibbs, I hear ya on the I'd like to just throw something and say friend this and quit sometimes...lol. Sometimes we need a mental health day. But the OP takes 2 days in 6 weeks? I haven't called out in 4 months, and I actually HAVE sick days...lol.
You only have sick days left,cause you got 5 new ones In May!

Go Brown Or Go Home!

I got super sick thursday, haf pink eye (super contagious) and sinus infection. I let my sup know as early as I could on thursday I wasnt coming in friday and also brought a doc note in today just to be on the safe side.

sent using smoke signals

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You only have sick days left,cause you got 5 new ones In May!
Is it breaktime already? I'll be right over...lol
images-36.jpeg

I disagreed with this part. Sometimes you just need to take a day for morale, man.

There's occasionally a day where I'm juggling in my head two choices: either quitting, or calling in. I figure as long as I don't have quitting on my mind every single day then the occasional call-in is most definitely the better choice.
Okay

So was this a continuation of the discussion or a dickbag last word move? I've got my suspicions, but, you know... benefit of the doubt and all.
Kinda both. You hit me first with the dickbag disagree and I just said ok to whatever you were saying from there.

My original post that you disagreed with
Is how anyone in management or the union would think. The guy just made his thirty days and he called off a couple weeks ago and now he wants to call off again. That's not a good reflection on ones character when they are starting a new job. You may have like ten to twenty years in so if you feel like that then you've earned it but this guy is fresh off the back of a turnip truck.

J

jibbs

See, I agree with that!

I hit the disagree button, and then elaborated because it was only that first part I was clicking the button for. Sorry if you thought I was trying to full-on attack you, dude, wasn't my intention.