Running my 30 days, any tips?

50shadesofbrown

Started with UPS in November and now on day 12 of 30 day probation post-peak and still over by 1.5 as they keep changing some of my streets for some reason and I've been running Orion as recommended...

Thinking of starting Monday in RDO mode and kill it with 1000-4000 since I have a post office bulk stop (takes the whole floor in a 1000 truck) so I can slide up the 5000s and 6000s to try to drop by 2 when I take lunch as pickups start at 3 before dropping 7000s and 8000s.

Been running ORO but losing time digging in the back. Going to try RDO as it seems to move faster from what I read here. Can not get decent advice at my center as we have over a dozen casuals fighting for 8 jobs and everyone misleading each other to try and edge out the others.

Would this help?
Any other tips for time?

Route is 170 stops with 5-10 light pickups varies with on call airs.
30 miles in mostly urban setting with about 25% commercial.
Most residential is driver release.

Last edited:

AlliSeeisBrown

If you just do your best and show improvement every day and have no accidents/injuries you should be perfectly fine. During your first 30 days, fine sort your load during your break. After you make book, don't give the company any free time. I ran RDO all through peak because I was bricked out every day and it was the only way to work. If you're familiar with the area it will help. If you scratch using RDO, they'll find something else to get you on like miles or Orion compliance. Don't stress it. No service failures, accidents or injuries.

Hellobrown2000

Sounds like your not moving fast enough. Run first stop from orion then turn on rdo. Use office for every business stop. Only take 5 minutes to eat everyday until your locked in then take as long as you want. Don't think there's anything else you can do.

The Driver

I drive.
Sort that truck perfectly during your break time. Run RDO or you'll go insane. Don't crash or hurt yourself. Be respectful to management.

After you gain seniority don't ever give them a free minute of work again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

RDO works best if you have area knowledge.

Running RDO during your 30 may be a reason for disqualification, depending on your center team.

Follow Orion, work to the best of your ability and let the chips fall where they may.

AlphaMikeBravo

Your trying to qualify. Your only means to make it is to run and hustle. You want to make 80-90K/year? Then you have to donate and use time to your advantage. In other words, come in 2 hrs early to anally sort your package car in sequential order. Lip load all your packages so they don't fall over. Take a marker and mark ALL packages with the PAL number facing outward. Make a note of where all irregs are. Drive smooth so all your packages stay on the shelf sorted instead of falling over. If the Union gives you a hard time, tell them to give you a break cause your trying to qualify. After sorting your truck perfectly, go Park your :censored2: at a computer monitor and plan out how you are going to run your route. Write down all your airs and then go back to the truck and verify your airs. After that look at your route again to see if you planned it out right. Don't waste time talking to other rookies. Talk to the senior veterans to see how they would run the route. You can stop working for free AFTER you qualify. Good luck.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You normally lose most of your time in the back of the car looking for packages. Take the time to sort and set up a section and keep rolling. Once you get the front of your shelves clear you will have more space to line up your stops.

PACNW

You normally lose most of your time in the back of the car looking for packages. Take the time to sort and set up a section and keep rolling. Once you get the front of your shelves clear you will have more space to line up your stops.

I agree, a lot of new guys spend a lot of time in the back. Resist the temptation to go into the back and poke around for your next stop after each delivery. Also sitting in your seat poking through your EDD counting how many stops you've done or have left. Get in your car and go. 20-30 seconds every stop adds up quickly. Whatever you do, never try to make up time behind the wheel.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Started with UPS in November and now on day 12 of 30 day probation post-peak and still over by 1.5 as they keep changing some of my streets for some reason and I've been running Orion as recommended...

Thinking of starting Monday in RDO mode and kill it with 1000-4000 since I have a post office bulk stop (takes the whole floor in a 1000 truck) so I can slide up the 5000s and 6000s to try to drop by 2 when I take lunch as pickups start at 3 before dropping 7000s and 8000s.

Been running ORO but losing time digging in the back. Going to try RDO as it seems to move faster from what I read here. Can not get decent advice at my center as we have over a dozen casuals fighting for 8 jobs and everyone misleading each other to try and edge out the others.

Would this help?
Any other tips for time?

Route is 170 stops with 5-10 light pickups varies with on call airs.
30 miles in mostly urban setting with about 25% commercial.
Most residential is driver release.
You should not be running your 30 days you should be walking them at a brisk pace

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
In my experience orion is terrible for businesses.
Run RDO for your businesses, then you should have enough room to stop and set the load up. Then you won't be wasting time digging in the back when you run ODO for your resis.

I wouldn't run straight RDO unless you know for a fact your management team doesn't care about orion trace.

JL 0513

Sounds like your not moving fast enough. Run first stop from orion then turn on rdo. Use office for every business stop. Only take 5 minutes to eat everyday until your locked in then take as long as you want. Don't think there's anything else you can do.

Does this give more time allowance over receiver or dock? This is news to me.

Hellobrown2000

Does this give more time allowance over receiver or dock? This is news to me.
I was told office allows more time per stop dock is the least. This was from someone who worked on orion. After they told me that I asked some one else and was told it was true. I also work in a center where our supervisors aren't killer nazis like some people on this forum pretend their supervisors are.