"Running Over"

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Running over is alot easier now than ever before. Scratch is long gone on my route! I get messages to retrieve pkgs I delivered LAST month and RTS them. I usually have to wait 10-15 min for my late pickups that aren't ready at the time they previously had agreed to be ready by. Many days we leave the building 20-45 minutes after start time. I usually get messages that I need to respond to. I sometimes get messages that I need to call the center. I usually go meet another driver so I can bring his "airs" back in for him. My route has not been time studied for 10 years. I could care less about standards! I give a fair days work for a fair days pay. I get paid for the hours I work not counting my lunch. End of story.

Running over is alot easier now than ever before. Scratch is long gone on my route! I get messages to retrieve pkgs I delivered LAST month and RTS them. I usually have to wait 10-15 min for my late pickups that aren't ready at the time they previously had agreed to be ready by. Many days we leave the building 20-45 minutes after start time. I usually get messages that I need to respond to. I sometimes get messages that I need to call the center. I usually go meet another driver so I can bring his "airs" back in for him. My route has not been time studied for 10 years. I could care less about standards! I give a fair days work for a fair days pay. I get paid for the hours I work not counting my lunch. End of story.
That is the exact information I point out to any management person when questioned about my O/allowed. They seem to want to ignore the fact that we are 30-45 minutes over when we leave the building.
I recently covered a trash run that took stops off of 5 drivers in 4 different towns, the furtherest way being 80+miles from the center. I had to meet with each driver to get the stops they needed help with. All said and done I drove 225 miles, delivered around 200 packages in 105 stops, no pickups. I was 3 hours over allowed and got *itched at the next day. They still paid me for what time I was on the clock though.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

Sounds familiar, I bet 90% of us face the same condition, situations.

Not as far as I know. Warning talk, maybe.
My route covers about 600 square miles of back country roads. The last three hours are done without my Diad , so tracking me after 6pm is not an option. I wish they could. If anything happened(accident ,injury or heart attack) they would have no idea where I am. My cell phone won't work in about 40% of my area.
Our satellite drivers use two boards each day, I'm not sure as the nuances of how this works, but it involves them calling the PM OMS with clock out times, mileages and what else.

browniehound

That is the exact information I point out to any management person when questioned about my O/allowed. They seem to want to ignore the fact that we are 30-45 minutes over when we leave the building.
I recently covered a trash run that took stops off of 5 drivers in 4 different towns, the furtherest way being 80+miles from the center. I had to meet with each driver to get the stops they needed help with. All said and done I drove 225 miles, delivered around 200 packages in 105 stops, no pickups. I was 3 hours over allowed and got *itched at the next day. They still paid me for what time I was on the clock though.

Why they *itched at you is beyond me. From what they made you do, I think its THEIR problem that you were 3 hours over. From what you described, there is absolutely no efficiency in the route you ran.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Those kind of routes(put together from 5 different routes) are notorious for having poor allowances and mgmt should never say a word to a driver that covered for that many routes, if anything you deserve to be paid a bonus

huskres

Not as far as I know. Warning talk, maybe.
My route covers about 600 square miles of back country roads. The last three hours are done without my Diad , so tracking me after 6pm is not an option. I wish they could. If anything happened(accident ,injury or heart attack) they would have no idea where I am. My cell phone won't work in about 40% of my area.

600 square miles sounds like a lot. How many stops packages and miles do you drive a day? Also what do you mean the last 3 hours are done without your diad? Do you manually record the packages or?

I've been 6 hours over several times. Taking out 2 or 3 cars, helping other drivers, doing misc. pick ups etc. In december I ran over a deer and all they asked was "did you kill it"

Browniehound and Brown Dog, I couldn't understand it either. Once I explained to that sup, he backed off some but still wasn't happy that the center numbers were hurting. I told him I just did what I was instructed to do. Funny thing is, I was the only one of four drivers ,with +2 hour over, he talked too. Go figure. I think he decided he was barking up the wrong tree and may as well leave the others alone also.

satellitedriver

600 square miles sounds like a lot. How many stops packages and miles do you drive a day? Also what do you mean the last 3 hours are done without your diad? Do you manually record the packages or?
Average 85 to 100 stops day. 200 pkgs. 200 miles.
I meet the trailer (at about 6pm) and prerecord all stops that are left for me to deliver and send my Diad back to the center.
When I finally get home, I call the center with ending miles and punch out time. Which is usually between 8:45pm and 9:15 pm.
It isn't so much the miles, but the road conditions of those miles that beat the heck out of me.

over9five

Staff member
Sat, you prerecord your remaining stops and send your DIAD back to the center.
When you call to punch out, do you also tell them the disposition of the prerecorded stops? Who stop completes them? What if one needs a signature?

Just curious how that works!

Sat, I too can see potential problems sending your diad in before you are done. You should swap your diad the next morning.

satellitedriver

Sat, you prerecord your remaining stops and send your DIAD back to the center.
When you call to punch out, do you also tell them the disposition of the prerecorded stops? Who stop completes them? What if one needs a signature?

Just curious how that works!
I prerecord and stop complete. I've been doing this for 12rs and usually only DR's are left. I know exactly where I will leave them. Sig's get SDN'd the next day.

I sometimes do a route that feeds a remote center of 4 drivers. I bring 4 diads to swap in the morning.

ol'browneye

I work at a big satelite with 7 drivers. We used to save all or part of our lunch if we had to then meet our feeder by 7pm. Any lunch left we would put in our board then send in the diads. The night OMS would have to check our times, adjust them to pay us correctly and clock us out. One driver used to say, "I just love drinking a beer on the way home while on the clock!" Then we got a by the book, gung-ho driver that pitched a fit about someone else clocking us out and filed a grievance. That ended that. Now we meet the feeder and if we have stops left we go back out and call the OMS when we are done with all of our info from the diad including our clock out time, then clock out and leave the diads in the trucks. The morning feeder driver takes them back in the next day to be uploaded and they send us a different diad. I know this driver was technically right but why screw up the one perk we had at our satelite? I use to be home by 6:30/7:00 sometimes and still get paid for lunch. Now I'm lucky if it's 8:00.:sad-little: