Rural deliveries

UPSGUY72

I think UPS should just say no to their business.

If you live someplace out in BFE, which UPS must use these trucks, you should find another delivery service.

9320014366_e1225036ef_b.jpg

4 wheel drive doesn't mean your going to be able to deliver to many more places than driving a p500 that has chains on. It however does mean that you run the risk of getting stuck as your more likely to use the 4 wheel drive as a crutch so you think you can really go anywhere when in reality you can't..

AKCoverMan

This is something I've wondered about myself. People want to live so far off the grid for some reason beyond me, but still want the convenience of getting Amazon everyday.

When I flip through my stops in the morning, sometimes there's that one stop that just makes me roll my eyes. They're twenty minutes out of the way, and they're not a farm or a ranger station, it's just some :censored2:bags with money that want to never leave the house apparently.
So this stop adds 40 min a day. Do the math, that's 2.66 hours OT a week in your pocket. Something like $1600 a year before taxes.

Remember to say "thank you" when you see them.

Packmule

Unless it's Christmas and you have an 11.8 hr planned day without it. Now someone else gets missed. Add in its snowing and you just put on the superman cape yesterday and delivered there. Now it's an all nighter sitting in a ditch in 20 below temps just waiting to happen.

Rack em

Made the Podium
One of the first things that you learn on a rural route is where to dump your chasers in town.
We have a 30+ year driver with an extended route that comes in at 7:00am to check his dispatch and he starts calling all of his runner stops. It's rare if that guy isnt back to the building and punched out before 5:00

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a 30+ year driver with an extended route that comes in at 7:00am to check his dispatch and he starts calling all of his runner stops. It's rare if that guy isnt back to the building and punched out before 5:00

I was to the point on my rural route where I knew where people worked and what car they drove. It was the norm to dump at least 5-10 stops in town; however, I never called a customer asking for them to either meet me (unless the weather was bad) on road or asking if I could leave it in town.

oldupsman

I was to the point on my rural route where I knew where people worked and what car they drove. It was the norm to dump at least 5-10 stops in town; however, I never called a customer asking for them to either meet me (unless the weather was bad) on road or asking if I could leave it in town.

When you run a rural route for a long time, 25 years for me, you know everything about everybody. And that
includes the cops. And it wasn't unusual at all, this was before sure post and our involvement with the post office,
to leave 3 or 4 stops a day at the post office. Everybody knew where I ate lunch, so it wasn't unusual to have 2 or 3 customers
come up to me and ask if I had a package for them today.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If they wanted it delivered to where they work then they would have put their work address on the package...I deliver to the address on the box.

When you run a rural route for a long time, 25 years for me, you know everything about everybody. And that
includes the cops. And it wasn't unusual at all, this was before sure post and our involvement with the post office,
to leave 3 or 4 stops a day at the post office. Everybody knew where I ate lunch, so it wasn't unusual to have 2 or 3 customers
come up to me and ask if I had a package for them today.

^^This.

However, I made a point of not abusing the ability to leave stuff other than where it was addressed. Mostly, only in bad weather.

govols019

You smell that?
Have you ever run a rural route?

Yes...I don't leave packages at peoples workplace unless they specifically ask me to on the day it's on the truck. Taking the shortcuts you do just screws the person that follows you on the route.

Those 5-10 you drop off in town crates a false impression of how long the route takes to get done.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Yes...I don't leave packages at peoples workplace unless they specifically ask me to on the day it's on the truck. Taking the shortcuts you do just screws the person that follows you on the route.

Those 5-10 you drop off in town crates a false impression of how long the route takes to get done.
In a bonus center miles are money. I only alternate deliver when asked.