Sad part is the driver will get blamed for this accident

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What I find odd is that nowhere in the video do we ever see the driver get out and see if the guy is OK or inspect the damage to the rear door, which appears to be significant.

bbsam

Staff member
See how fast that happened? As a former motorcycle rider, it amazes me how many ride without helmets.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Watch the video and see if u see any brake lights I really couldn't tell. Also if he is stopping in the middle of the road for a stop his hazards should be on well in advance. Now it may just be a t in the road with a stop sign or something else can't really tell from the video.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok just watched it like 5 times I did see brake lights but the driver did stop abruptly because it looks like he drove past his stop. Not saying its right at all but I could totally see him being fired over this no signal no hazard and I would say probably wasn't checking his mirrors and didn't know someone was behind him. Also I agree with upstate I would have been out of that truck so fast to check and see what just happened it wouldn't be funny.

rod

Retired 22 years
Around here the motorcycle dude would would get a ticket for inattentive driving or following too close or maybe both.

westin

"the sun has no prisoners" whack! lol. That was awesome. I have to admit, I once had a teenager chasing my truck trying to hop on my bumper, he was running full speed. I could see him reaching and I then slammed on my brakes for a speed bump. Evil timing on my end but the loud thump had me laughing my ass off. His two friends walking with him fell to the ground laughing their ass off too. It had to hurt but I doubt he ever tried that again.

bluehdmc

See how fast that happened? As a former motorcycle rider, it amazes me how many ride without helmets.

He looks down at the handlebars at about the 14-15 second point of the video then has his OH SH*IT moment at 16 seconds
just before he looks down the brake lights seem to go on.

What I find odd is that nowhere in the video do we ever see the driver get out and see if the guy is OK or inspect the damage to the rear door, which appears to be significant.

The video "fades to black" about 20 seconds after the hit. Maybe the driver secured the vehicle and got out the curbside (behind the camera)

Around here the motorcycle dude would would get a ticket for inattentive driving or following too close or maybe both.

Following to close for sure, inattentive driving especially if he tried using the video in his defense!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is very hard to make a judgement without knowing what is in front of our guy--we don't know if he is stopping to make a delivery or stopping because of what we can't see. But, from what we can see, he is on a narrow divided two lane roadway with little to no room to pull over to the side of the road. He does not put his 4-ways on and stops suddenly, which leads me to believe he is either stopping because of what is in front of him (hopefully) or perhaps trying to get the rider to stop tailgating.

rej277

I don't think the rider was following too closely. He had plenty of room to stop. It just appears so because he was so late on hitting those brakes, plus the UPS seemed to stop quickly as well. He had about 1 second of space, which is enough space to stop at those speeds they were traveling.

He would have been fine had he reacted faster. But I've messed up while riding too so I know how it feels. I hope he learned from this.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It is very hard to make a judgement without knowing what is in front of our guy--we don't know if he is stopping to make a delivery or stopping because of what we can't see. But, from what we can see, he is on a narrow divided two lane roadway with little to no room to pull over to the side of the road. He does not put his 4-ways on and stops suddenly, which leads me to believe he is either stopping because of what is in front of him (hopefully) or perhaps trying to get the rider to stop tailgating.
I think the sun should've been included in the "what ifs"?