Safety Compliance.

gandydancer

.... If you know you are going to be out for two-three or more weeks, call the union and take out a temp withdrawal card till you return to full duty. The only thing that does is save you from having to pay dues while on comp. Talk to your BA about this.

We pay dues once a month, and when I nearly died from untreated diabetes in '07 I submtted a w/d for June, July, August... They took out dues for July anyway, because I got paid for the Fourth!

I was on a belt over the sort last Thursday when someone turned it on (turns out I was wrong to think I'd secured the whole sequence, a subject not covered in any of the conveyor securing training, beyond one sentence in the video about making sure you've turned off the belt you step on) and I pronged my shoulder when I was dumped onto the down-belt. Can't get more than 15 degrees out of my right shoulder. So I insist on getting a diagnosis yesterday and the company doc thinks it's just a strain but mentions it might be a muscle tear, won't let me try to move my upper right arm when it reaches that 15 degrees and starts hurting, and prescribes pain meds, MRI and PT. But he writes it up as release-no-restrictions, so when I get to my second shift they try to send me to load instead of putting me on the Safety Co-Chair clock to keep from getting a DART. Now, I can do Revenue Recovery on my first shift with one good limb and three bad, but building walls is definately not on. Dunno what the doc was thinking...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That was lucky- with a ? mark -as in some want to get back to work and the company won't let them and some are quite content laying around collecting comp.

You're right! I'd love to be back working and thought I'd be able to do my job just as well as I did it before. Turns out that my ankle and back are a bit worse than I thought. I've got a really high pain tolerance, but since I've been slowed to a halt I can really feel pain.

I cleaned windows, moved packages/irregs, belt to belt and did loads of safety stuff. While doing the safety stuff, in the safety zone, I told my supe about his lack of seat belt use, while we were on the road. He denied that he had done this. He stepped out of the office, and when he came back upstairs, he started cursing me up and down. My center manager had sent him an email, telling him about my blog. He absolutely blew up, but then came back into the room and said he couldn't believe that I would do something like this.

He calmed down quickly, left, and when he came back, he said the center manager was on the phone to talk to us. My center manager was pissed at him for not wearing his seat belt and he (center manager) was pissed at me for taking pictures while I was driving. My center manager was really pissed that I put his (center manager's) picture on my blog. On the better side of things, the center manager acknowledged that we really need to be real, when it comes to safety. He said that it was hypocritical to talk safety and do something different out on the road.

He thought my rant was well written and to the point, but also said I was a hypocrite in not stating that we had the bulkhead door open between close proximity stops, which I thought was okay, since I never left the pkg car. I actually wanted to do good here, but in my speed to point my finger, I actually should have told my supe about the error of his ways. As was pointed out, I am a hypocrite, for what was pointed out to me. I would have done things differently in retrospect.

I really want us to be safe, as we work. This will not only be more cost effective for UPS, but will allow other drivers to be on the road as well. I'm sorry, I didn't live up to my own standards, and for this I apologize. I have not been forced to write this post, as the only one it makes look bad, is me.:sad-little:

backinbrown

respect my authority
stug

how did center manager know about blog,

should you have your steward with you

or was this just a conversation, are they looking to punish you.

as far as door open you should have seen that coming he didn't care till he needed something to use against you, you probably kept it open making it convenient for him in the close residential area instead of handing him key every stop,

Hind site you know the saying I bet you are down on yourself i get that feeling, don't be you made a decision to kinda help this guy out with the door and he called you on it, so be it you learned a valuable lesson my Friend.

If anyone here throws it back in your face shame on them. Just going to make you a better safety team member JMO

That was lucky- with a ? mark -as in some want to get back to work and the company won't let them and some are quite content laying around collecting comp.

For some reason the (?) didn't sink in. Maybe UpState needs to teach me some of that reading comprehension.

I don't mind doing light duty(TAW) within the doc's orders. The company wants you to believe that the TAW is for the employee, but it isn't. TAW helps the company on insurance and with OSHA. If it was for the employee, they would allow TAW for people that sprain their ankle playing softball....or whatever.
As far as getting back to full duty ASAP, I'm all for it. However , I'm not going to rush it and increase my chances of re-injury, that's no fun.

UPSNewbie

For some reason the (?) didn't sink in. Maybe UpState needs to teach me some of that reading comprehension.

I don't mind doing light duty(TAW) within the doc's orders. The company wants you to believe that the TAW is for the employee, but it isn't. TAW helps the company on insurance and with OSHA. If it was for the employee, they would allow TAW for people that sprain their ankle playing softball....or whatever.
As far as getting back to full duty ASAP, I'm all for it. However , I'm not going to rush it and increase my chances of re-injury, that's no fun.

I still have swelling in my ankle from a major sprain at work on Sept. 26, '08. I started physio at the first of Dec. I just recently switched from 3 days a week to 2 days a week on physical therapy.

I'm young, and I rushed getting back to work. Now I pay out the ass.

I still have swelling in my ankle from a major sprain at work on Sept. 26, '08. I started physio at the first of Dec. I just recently switched from 3 days a week to 2 days a week on physical therapy.

I'm young, and I rushed getting back to work. Now I pay out the ass.
Thank you for your testimony.
Seriously though, sorry you are still having troubles. Hope it gets better with the PT.

iowa boy

Steve, im in no way condoning the "mistake" you made about leaving the bulkhead open, but to me it seems that it was pretty chicken**** of your sup to deflect criticism for his failure to wear his seatbelt back to you cuz you left the bulkhead open. Your immediate sup is just as culpable for this error as you are as he allowed you to leave the door open without saying something to you about it. You should have asked center manager why your sup never said anything about the door being open? Just doesn't seem right to me.

mnnice

Pull up to a hose, at your center or on area, and while running your windshield wipers, spray the water at the windshield. That's the easiest way. Another way is climbing up on your bumper with a rag, and going to town.
Be careful when you climb up on the front bumper because the water from the hose can make this very slippery when you reach for the windshield.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Be careful when you climb up on the front bumper because the water from the hose can make this very slippery when you reach for the windshield.

Don't use a hose much anymore. It's been removed from its regular location for some reason. I usually climb up, spray window cleaner, scrub and wipe with a sqeegee. This gets the windows sparkling.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
OK, Ive caught up with this thread, so here I go. I am on the safety committee in my building and I have to agree with Sober, to a certain extent. The committee is there for OSHA. I WILL NOT be going into management, nor do we get a lighter dispatch, or preferential treatment, ( I still get my 10 hr days). Ya sure we put together demo's and safety PCM's, but when it comes to the real meat & potato's, that's were it grinds to a halt. The meaningful safety issues that are brought up are met with "We'll have to run that by So and So. I'll agree there. As far as the 3-point seat belt, no one has brought it to the attention (at least to me) of the committee. I may be selfish but I hadn't really thought about those w/ out one. We get 35 minutes, on the first Friday of the month, to review 1 1/2 hrs. of info, because "we can't have 5 people on the clock that long". As long as we fill the 3 month calender with demo's were good in the eyes of management. I actually thought of giving up my position but then I went and got hurt.

As of 2/3/09, I have been on TAW from a fall I had at work. Turns out that I didn't break my wrist, but I do have nerve damage that will keep me out for at least ANOTHER 6 weeks. This is really P***ing my on-road off. I'm fortunate that I can go in and get my 8 hrs every day, by doing of all things, SAFETY stuff. I, with some help from a brother, have put together a book of demo's to be used in the building. As long as they keep giving me work I'll take it.

STUG, I think what you did to your on-road was spot on! To bad I didn't see the pictures. Practice what you preach! My on-road was with me and he kept spitting in my truck. Say what you want, but I'm in that truck 40+ hrs. a week, it's MY TRUCK. I told him to knock it off, that it was a Bio-hazard and I refused to walk through it. After that he stopped.
Also STUG, I hope that all goes well with your daughter, and hope you make a speedy recovery...Don't rush it...I'm not! LOL

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
STUG, I think what you did to your on-road was spot on! To bad I didn't see the pictures. Practice what you preach! My on-road was with me and he kept spitting in my truck. Say what you want, but I'm in that truck 40+ hrs. a week, it's MY TRUCK. I told him to knock it off, that it was a Bio-hazard and I refused to walk through it. After that he stopped.
Also STUG, I hope that all goes well with your daughter, and hope you make a speedy recovery...Don't rush it...I'm not! LOL

I'm feeling the same as you. Blah Blah Blah, and this is the same thing drivers are hearing. I wanted to make a difference, but there's so much "stuff" that fills in your minutes, that you don't get a chance to do anything else. Thanks for the back up, I actually apologized to that supe for not confronting him before my post. That post made the "spit" hit the fan though. I don't play that anonymous crizap, so they knew where to find me. Saw my convenient pictures on here and, POW! Guess I'll concentrate on smacking them in the backs of the heads with my rolled up habits poster.:peaceful:

backinbrown

respect my authority
PAIDOVER

thats to bad 6 more weeks i might be back before you.

Is that sup who spit your reg sup i (wont say his name)?

Is driver who was hit head on (wont say his name) back driving yet

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As of 2/3/09, I have been on TAW from a fall I had at work. Turns out that I didn't break my wrist, but I do have nerve damage that will keep me out for at least ANOTHER 6 weeks. This is really P***ing my on-road off. I'm fortunate that I can go in and get my 8 hrs every day, by doing of all things, SAFETY stuff. I, with some help from a brother, have put together a book of demo's to be used in the building. As long as they keep giving me work I'll take it.

I thought TAW was only good for a month?
Oh yea, screw your on road supe!!
Had a guy in my center hurt running from a dog yesterday.
Supe actually made the comment that I didn't understand the pain that it causes.
I asked "for the driver"?
He said in all seriousness, "no for us managers".

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I thought TAW was only good for a month?
Oh yea, screw your on road supe!!
Had a guy in my center hurt running from a dog yesterday.
Supe actually made the comment that I didn't understand the pain that it causes.
I asked "for the driver"?
He said in all seriousness, "no for us managers".

Poor supervisor's, don't you all understand, they're people just like us. I don't think anyone understands the plight their people have been through. They emigrated here just like the Jews, Irish and the Germans.