Safety Compliance.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
OJS's again today. I think mgmt is under the impression that when I "smoke" my route, it's the norm. I'm done smoking the route. So now they think that my over allowed is caused by me dragging my feet. Somewhere along the line the time allowance has changed and what used to be 0-20 under is now 30-50 over, and yes, this is a bonus center.

Anyone ever have to stop short on an OJS, just to have the supe run right into the back of them? Would you consider this harassment? I've grieved this behavior before and think I'm going to grieve it again. What say you?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
OJS's again today. I think mgmt is under the impression that when I "smoke" my route, it's the norm. I'm done smoking the route. So now they think that my over allowed is caused by me dragging my feet. Somewhere along the line the time allowance has changed and what used to be 0-20 under is now 30-50 over, and yes, this is a bonus center.

Anyone ever have to stop short on an OJS, just to have the supe run right into the back of them? Would you consider this harassment? I've grieved this behavior before and think I'm going to grieve it again. What say you?
I guess it would depend on how the day is going overall. If he's really riding you and it's part of an overall pattern of harassment and intimidation, file away. If he was just not paying attention and bumped into you, no harm no foul.
I've had my share of 3 day rides, they always started out confrontational and ended with me being told what a good job I was doing. They never bother locking me in because my sporh always goes down during the ride. Funny how that works :wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I guess it would depend on how the day is going overall. If he's really riding you and it's part of an overall pattern of harassment and intimidation, file away. If he was just not paying attention and bumped into you, no harm no foul.
I've had my share of 3 day rides, they always started out confrontational and ended with me being told what a good job I was doing. They never bother locking me in because my sporh always goes down during the ride. Funny how that works :wink2:
This was a one day OJS harassment ride. In other words, we don't like that you're overallowed so take that. I did the book. Stops signs, speed limit and such, which I always do, btw. This "bumping" into, happened twice, so I think it was more intentional, than not.

Here's a funny story, ah, I'd better PM you with the story so no one tries to fire me for what I said on the internet.

tourists24

Steve, Ive just come off another 3 day ride myself last week. It was a very harrassing 3 day... this is the 3rd time this year and this was the worst one yet. No bumping into me though. Not sure how I would handle that one. Definitely a grievance to start. If you feel it was on purpose the first time, maybe let them know you are not going to put up with it a second time.

Call them out on it. "why do you keep bumping in to me? Are you not getting the big picture,keeping your eyes moving,leaving yourself an out?"

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Steve, Ive just come off another 3 day ride myself last week. It was a very harrassing 3 day... this is the 3rd time this year and this was the worst one yet. No bumping into me though. Not sure how I would handle that one. Definitely a grievance to start. If you feel it was on purpose the first time, maybe let them know you are not going to put up with it a second time.

What if you were to fall down and hurt yourself as a result of this "contact"?
Imagine if they had come off the route with you to go to the hospital.
What kind of light would that shine on this tactic?
I have morphed this basic principle of physics into a good work place policy for us hourlies.

For every knee jerk reaction there is an equal and opposite knee jerk reaction.

Approach things with this in mind, within the lines of course, and you can beat them at their own game.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Step one: ask your supervisor how many SPORH he is expecting you to maintain.

Step two: hand him the keys and DIAD, and request politely that he demonstrate this level of production to you.

Step three; on your own clipboard or piece of paper, document any safety or methods infractions that you see him commit, and point them out to him. Keep track of his ongoing SPORH and continually remind him whenever he is falling behind the pace he expects you to maintain.

I utilized this method on the last production ride I ever had...which was over 10 years ago.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I ran 46 over allowed yesterday. I had 133 stops 275+ delivered and 30 p/u's 80 some od pkgs. Today I went out with 113 stops, which is the norm for my route.