Safety first

bacha29

I read it .Still the same basic DOT specification commercial light duty vehicle as what GM had back in the nineties . And are clearly built for city streets and in accordance with DOT specs and built the cheapest way possible Contractors out my way use them and step vans because XG determines the type of vehicles they are allowed to purchase but they wear out quickly due to operating environment and because there's simply nobody else out there who can help out every single box that can be stuffed in one gets stuffed in one.

bbsam

Staff member
I read it .Still the same basic DOT specification commercial light duty vehicle as what GM had back in the nineties . And are clearly built for city streets and in accordance with DOT specs and built the cheapest way possible Contractors out my way use them and step vans because XG determines the type of vehicles they are allowed to purchase but they wear out quickly due to operating environment and because there's simply nobody else out there who can help out every single box that can be stuffed in one gets stuffed in one.
Do you think a UPS Chevy P700 is spec’d differently?

bacha29

Utilimaster built bodies according to UPS specifications. Some were built to track a bit wider. A UPS driver showed me the modifications to the rear axle assembly. Whether they still do that or not you'd have to ask them.

bacha29

UPS trucks are set up for a 20 year life span of daily service. Do you think those little off the shelf GM cutaways are designed to do that. Perhaps in a no road salt non snow belt environment you might make it to double digits little chance elsewhere.

bbsam

Staff member
UPS trucks are set up for a 20 year life span of daily service. Do you think those little off the shelf GM cutaways are designed to do that. Perhaps in a no road salt non snow belt environment you might make it to double digits little chance elsewhere.
The only thing that gives them a 20 year life span is the aluminum body.

And if you’ve ever looked under a Fedex P1000 it’s evident that parts are made to be replaced.

Stood with a mechanic as he replaced a clutch in a ‘98 international. Hour and 45 minutes start to finish.

So what are you really talking about with the cutaways? Will they last 20 years? Sure they will. Most will probably move on from them far sooner because we don’t have the “in house” mechanics that UPS has and maintenance costs outweigh practicality.

You weren’t implying that those 20 year UPS trucks didn’t need maintenance and parts replaced were you?

bacha29

The only thing that gives them a 20 year life span is the aluminum body.

And if you’ve ever looked under a Fedex P1000 it’s evident that parts are made to be replaced.

Stood with a mechanic as he replaced a clutch in a ‘98 international. Hour and 45 minutes start to finish.

So what are you really talking about with the cutaways? Will they last 20 years? Sure they will. Most will probably move on from them far sooner because we don’t have the “in house” mechanics that UPS has and maintenance costs outweigh practicality.

You weren’t implying that those 20 year UPS trucks didn’t need maintenance and parts replaced were you?
Question: For you how long do one of those cutaways last you before they're simply worn out?

bbsam

Staff member
Question: For you how long do one of those cutaways last you before they're simply worn out?
I have a 2009 and just got rid of a 2010. Just replaced the engine in the 2009 so probably have it another 3 years. At that time either get rid of it or keep it around as a spare.

The 2010 had a bad engine but I had another contractor interested in buying parts off it and it wasn’t really needed since I bought three more in 2019.

Now could I have kept the 2010? Sure. $7500 for an engine, $4500 for a paint job. No reason it couldn’t keep going.

bacha29

I have a 2009 and just got rid of a 2010. Just replaced the engine in the 2009 so probably have it another 3 years. At that time either get rid of it or keep it around as a spare.

The 2010 had a bad engine but I had another contractor interested in buying parts off it and it wasn’t really needed since I bought three more in 2019.

Now could I have kept the 2010? Sure. $7500 for an engine, $4500 for a paint job. No reason it couldn’t keep going.
Out here 3-4 years and they're smelter bait. Corrosion and the mileage on the power train makes trying to fix them up or not a coin flip. It's all a matter of miles and whether it's they're easy miles or hard miles. You see out here it's gas drilling country and if you have bit of acreage and the gas driller hits gas on it you'll get free gas for your residence. So what do people do? The stick a house out in that god forsaken place and use the gas line right of way which can go for miles as their ingress and egress. And if they don't use that it's often an abandoned strip mine haul road or a old logging trail. Nothing outside of a Quigley, a deuce and a half or a Marmon Herrington lasts long when exposed to that kind of operating environment.

bbsam

Staff member
Nothing outside of a Quigley, a deuce and a half or a Marmon Herrington lasts long when exposed to that kind of operating environment.

I actually have a Quigley. I happen to know what parts are used to build the front end. Do you know where the parts come from? Ford’s Superduty line. Except the brakes. Those are from the old GM heavy duty line. Not sure why that is but not exactly specially made parts for a super duper delivery vehicle.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
About everything we have at team brown is built on a Ford, Freightliner, International or Workhorse chassis (with a few oddballs for giggles).

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I actually have a Quigley. I happen to know what parts are used to build the front end. Do you know where the parts come from? Ford’s Superduty line. Except the brakes. Those are from the old GM heavy duty line. Not sure why that is but not exactly specially made parts for a super duper delivery vehicle.
Sounds like quite a mongrel. Good you don't have the Ford brakes. They wear really fast in PC duty.