Safety First!

In my opinion UPS only cares about safety when it doesn't cost anything. I'm a mechanic and they won't put in an exhaust system for the trucks because it "costs too much." In other words there is a price tag on everyones lungs.

browniehound

Hey Chan,
Without putting words in your mouth, I think you made my point. Its seems the center team is more interseted in trying to pass the ketter audit than actually making sure our employees are safe.

I'm not saying that our center team doesn't care about the well-being of its employees (I happen to think they do). I think maybe though they forgot where their priorities should be (my health:w00t: )

Brownie,
I agree with your post. I also was part of a safety committee prior to retiring. Every Staff/Division Manager was assigned a center.
If the meetings are run with an agenda, drivers who have leadership qualities and union steward involvement, they work quite well.

When I was in operations, I had to memorize and demonstrate the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary. The 5 seeing habits, I managed fine. The 10 point commentary the auditor had to come back a second time for me to pass.

Undertanding safety is a concern for all, I would like to see Ketter do on area observations or ride with the most help needed drivers, not mandate that all drivers memorize the information.

Ketter just really gets under my skin, and every year they change the audits. I suppose they are building upon what has already been audites, but whomever in Corporate agreed to this, should run an operation for about a year.

LKLND3380

Seems we need “permission” these days to attend Safety Meetings.

As a follow up, we were told at the morning PCM to let management know if we’re interested in attending a safety meeting. Management will keep a list and let you know if you’re a lucky winner. The prize? Permission to attend a safety meeting! Man, I can’t wait!

Seems we can’t have that meeting time counting against the dispatch. It’s that old numbers thing ya know.

Safety First!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Union... Not UPS decides who can be on the safety commitee... Each center must have a minimum of one meeting a month.

LKLND3380

The Union... Not UPS decides who can be on the safety commitee... Each center must have a minimum of one meeting a month.

From the NATIONAL MASTER UNITED PARCEL SERVICE AGREEMENT

Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees
There shall be Safety and Health committees to cover all full-time and part-time employees. There shall be one (1) committee per Center unless the number of employees and/or job classifications within a center dictate the establishment of more than one (1) committee. The respective committees will be comprised of a mutually agreed to number of bargaining unit representatives and up to an equal number of management representatives.

Bargaining unit members who seek to serve on the Safety and Health committee may volunteer to do so, with approval of the Local Union. The Union co-chair of the committee(s) shall be selected by the bargaining unit members of the committee.

Each committee shall meet at least once each month at a mutually agreeable time and place. The Employer shall provide committee members with adequate time to perform committee functions, as described in paragraphs 1 through 7 below.
Each committee shall perform functions including, but not limited to:

1. Creating sub-committees, on an as needed basis, to investigate specific issues of safety and health concern. These committees shall report to the full committee.

2. Developing and maintaining minutes for all meetings, with copies to all committee members and posted on designated safety bulletin boards.

3. Conducting periodic inspections of the facility to ensure that there is a safe, healthful and sanitary working environment in each center.

4. Accompanying governmental, union, and/or Company health and safety professionals on facility inspection tours. The Employer may limit the number of bargaining unit members of the committee accompanying such an inspection tour.

5. Receiving information pertaining to lost workday injury/accident causes and review results of the investigation of such injuries/accidents.

6. Receiving copies of the center's OSHA Illness and Injury logs and the facility's man-hours.

7. Receiving the Company sponsored training to enable committee members to effectively perform their respective functions as safety and health committee members.
Any information provided to a CHSP committee will not be shared outside the committee without the Employer's consent.
If the committee is unable to resolve a safety and health concern and all steps of the Comprehensive Health and Safety Process (CHAP) have been exhausted, the issue will be subject to the grievance procedure.

BuffaloDream

Bring on the Sunshine!
OH this goes on all over...After being on this site for a few days I am now convinced that other employees like myself have the same issues with safety, management harrassment,
numbers game etc...We must stay unified to stay strong! They don't care its fer sure!

Buffy!

diesel96

What a difference "safety first" means in Feeders than with Pkg Cars.In Feeders if we have a safety issue mechanically, we code it out under "other activity" and let dispatch know how much time it took to resolve.In traffic we just pick up the phone and tell dipatch we won't be on time.They understand,we can't speed(our trucks are governed anyway).We have schedules to maintain but safety truly comes first.It has to or people die!

In pkg's,safety is a top priority,however sometimes I wonder in many cases performance issues and goals and the in-ability to be flexible sacrificies safety.

For Ex:Road calls are avoided until all remedies are exhausted.I've been ask to drive with flat tires,been ask to drive when shifter is stuck in 3RD gear,been ask to drive with truck running all day(battery issues),I had no 2ND gear for a week until part came in.ETC...Why should Road calls count against the Mechanics Dept? I seen bad drivers tearing up vehicles on road, and driver's who dont write up their vehicles in the DVIR book.

Another EX:Pressure from Mgrs to Perform:(Not all mgrs but a good percentage)I used to be compared to the swing driver who covered my route"why does he do the job so much faster than you"?My un-acceptable answer was "Cause I'm Safer,remember Boss safety first".Then I reminded him I have 20 yrs safe driving(Cover driver has about 3 Accidents in 5 yrs)also I have'nt been on Workers Comp since the 80's(cover driver just came off comp -back injury).Cover driver was caught with his bulk head door wide open a few times,never written up cause he's a numbers guy.Mgr still felt I was stealing time cause I'm fequently "over-allowed".

Do you think Mgnt would "look the other way" if I got caught with my bulk head door open.

Has anybody recieved this message in the DIAD"You Must Make 9 five tonight".If I was a new guy that message is pretty threaten if I dont make it.Will drivers compromise safety to make 9 five at all cost?This driver won't because you know what Boss "SAFETY FIRST"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darlene

Safety First. The ladders where I work and all the mechanics used are all bent, the management was up set that the ladders are broke, but let them be used anyway. I said what about Safety First and he said "they cost too much money!" Go for Safety First- Money is first.

Feeder Hawgg

Feeder Hawgg
I am the management co-chair of our Health and Safety Committee, in the Feeder Department. The involvement here is at an all time high with 10 to 12 memebers participating each month. Over the course of the past twelve months, we have spent well over $10,000 dollars addressing safety concerns from the drivers, in facility improvements. Each meeting we review the accidents and injuries since the last meeting and see if there are any areas needed to be addressed to prevent the same type in the future. This is after an investigation has been completed of the incedent and the names and any blame has been removed from the report.
I feed the drivers, fruits and healthy alternatives to regular breakfast foods. After all we are here to promote a healthier lifestyle. My non-management co-chair is a certified physical therapist and has many helpful tips to improve the driver's quality of life. And they are paid at an overtime rate when they attend. It has been money well spent. Currently our accident frequency for 128 drivers is a 3.2 and injury frequency of ZERO. Why such good results. They talk, I listen, we all act on the issues and safety has a personal value to all of us. The group I am directly responsible for will be one year accident free on 5/26/07 over three million miles. In my operation we work together not against each other.

local804

Feeder Hawgg,
The numbers you post are amazing. It actually looks like you guys work on the same page and are a team. There is one minor difference. Feeder dept is a total 180 from package. There are no rookies looking to make book, no runners trying to make a bonus, and guys with usually 15+ years with the company on the downward spiral towards retirement. One day in a pcm we asked why 5 trucks went into a pickup and how come they didnt send 1 feeder truck. He explained that he called and it was like dealing with another company. Keep up your good work and this buds for you :)

LKLND3380

OH this goes on all over...After being on this site for a few days I am now convinced that other employees like myself have the same issues with safety, management harrassment,
numbers game etc...We must stay unified to stay strong! They don't care its fer sure!

Buffy!

You would think people would file grievances or talk with their business agent... We are all under the same Union but management keeps us feeling like these are isolated incidents...

It is Nationwide...

One day maybe the truth will get out to everyone...