Safety vs. privacy issues arise as FedEx Express installs driver-facing cameras in vehicles

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Safety vs. privacy issues arise as FedEx Express installs driver-facing cameras in vehicles - Memphis Business Journal

FedEx Express recently started putting driver-facing and front-facing cameras in its pickup and delivery vehicles. The company said it helps protect against fraudulent accident and unsafe driving claims, enhances safety, and serves as a training tool for new and seasoned professional drivers.

But, the move doesn't sit well with some of its employees, who call it an invasion of privacy.

“You’re putting a camera in to look at me,” a longtime courier, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told MBJ. “We’re not doing anything wrong, but you don’t want that on you. … We all feel like we’re being watched.”

A FedEx spokesperson confirmed in a statement to MBJ that the company had begun installing the in-vehicle cameras, asserting that it already uses similar technology with its tractor-trailer and straight truck fleet, and that safety and security are its "highest priorities."

Karma...

perhaps you folks should unionize....otherwise this harassment will continue....by not unionizing you have only yourselves to blame....remember the words of joe hill

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
perhaps you folks should unionize....otherwise this harassment will continue....by not unionizing you have only yourselves to blame....remember the words of joe hill
E953BA1D-E920-41FD-8B96-D9F37F2FD4A8.gif

Anyone who knows what’s going on knows it’s almost impossible for Express employees to unionize.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
That'll show 'em. Lol!

Marinassu

ДЕЛОВОЕ ПРЕДЛОЖЕНИЕ АДМИНИСТРАТОРУ browncafe.com
Where is administration?
It is about advertisement on your website.
Regards.

meritocracy

Has there been a long term study done on cameras in commercial vehicles? I am willing to bet that they cause people to make more mistakes than they would without the camera there. If I have a camera watching me, instead of concentrating on the road, I'm gonna be concentrating on anything and everything the camera might have caught me doing.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
“The driver-facing camera covered by the ruling is part of the powerful fifth generation of the SafetyDirect processor platform, which Bendix launched in 2019. SafetyDirect is the user-friendly web portal that provides fleet operators with comprehensive feedback on their fleet and drivers, along with videos of severe events. The system wirelessly transmits real-time data and event-based information from a vehicle’s J1939 network to the fleet’s back office for analysis.”

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
What are you talking about ups has had these for over a half of a year...

wilberforce15

Safety vs. privacy issues arise as FedEx Express installs driver-facing cameras in vehicles - Memphis Business Journal

FedEx Express recently started putting driver-facing and front-facing cameras in its pickup and delivery vehicles. The company said it helps protect against fraudulent accident and unsafe driving claims, enhances safety, and serves as a training tool for new and seasoned professional drivers.

But, the move doesn't sit well with some of its employees, who call it an invasion of privacy.

“You’re putting a camera in to look at me,” a longtime courier, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told MBJ. “We’re not doing anything wrong, but you don’t want that on you. … We all feel like we’re being watched.”

A FedEx spokesperson confirmed in a statement to MBJ that the company had begun installing the in-vehicle cameras, asserting that it already uses similar technology with its tractor-trailer and straight truck fleet, and that safety and security are its "highest priorities."
I would have my finger in my nose for 10 straight hours. Every day.
The petty doesn't stop.

If they want to film it, I can make them not want to watch.