Salary vs hourly

30andout

I didn't start this thread to argue or bicker with management, I was just trying to figure out if salary people were as disgusted with the way OUR company is being run now. With audi, I guess its the mindset of some of management people they are better than the rest of us and work much harder. Seems as though these people have always been around, but are more prevalent now that people are hired into management and don't have to work their way up any longer.

aspenleaf

In my center you can tell that some of the management staff are jealous of the senior drivers pay. I am always hearing them spew out how much the drivers make. To make matters worse I feel that my management team is trying to turn the preload against the drivers. Why else would they say things like “you are worth just as much as the drivers who get 27 bucks to stand around while you load.” Well excuse me but it is not the drivers’ fault that the preload can’t go down on time. I don’t care what the drivers get paid; driver pay no influence on how I load my trucks. However this negative attitude has trickled into the mind set of some of my fellow preloaders.

The day after Thanksgiving we were loading a few trucks for the air runs and I was disgusted with how the other loaders were loading the trucks. Actually they were just tossing packages on the shelves. I took time to put them in order; which started an argument between me and my coworkers. This guy was tossing packages on top of what I loaded. I pulled the packages out and found 2 misloads. I, being the overly dramatic individual that I am, started yelling for the sup that just shrugged his shoulders and said “let the driver sort it out.” So given the fact that some preload sups and now preloaders are against the “highly” paid drivers I have to say you drivers are not paid enough to put up with this crap. Shouldn’t we all be on the same side?

Another thing I’d like to know is when did supervisors get bionic noses? I have had several leaking packages that I brought to my sups attention. He sniffed and said “it’s okay put it on the truck.” I refused; stuff was dripping off the package so whatever was in there was a mess. I was also told that a package marked “fragile, glass, do not toss” that sounded very broken could also be loaded. I told my sup that it sounded broken and asked him to take a look. I would not want to be the driver who shows up with a package that is obviously broken. I note the PAL number and last 4 of the tracking and let the driver know that the package was damaged and what I did with it; this way if someone sneaks on my truck after I am sent home they know I didn’t load it.

To address the pay for the part-timers a little more would be nice. However when I had my group interview the HR guy said this job is not for anyone that needs it to make a living. So everyone should know going into a part-time job the money is not that great (if you planned to work so you eat and pay your rent). If you just want the benefits it is a great job.

trickpony1

"Shouldn't we all be on the same side?".
Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus.
In 28 years, I've never seen everyone on the same side.....it's the nature of the beast.

As I have mentioned before, don't cast your pearls before swine.

aspenleaf

trick, I meant drivers and preloaders (being on the same side); I am not hoping for some miracle in which everyone is on the same side or that people will care about the work they do. I will be happy if other loaders stay out of my trucks. . . and I like the way the swine trample the pearls; makes a nice powder!

aspenleaf

I am sure I did miss your point as my brain is not functioning properly. School is great (and by that I mean very overwhelming but I am learning a lot); 2 more weeks until winter break! So I can’t wait to be in the middle of peak as it means I am done with finals and will only have one more semester!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
In my center you can tell that some of the management staff are jealous of the senior drivers pay. I am always hearing them spew out how much the drivers make. To make matters worse I feel that my management team is trying to turn the preload against the drivers. Why else would they say things like “you are worth just as much as the drivers who get 27 bucks to stand around while you load.” Well excuse me but it is not the drivers’ fault that the preload can’t go down on time. I don’t care what the drivers get paid; driver pay no influence on how I load my trucks. However this negative attitude has trickled into the mind set of some of my fellow preloaders.

The day after Thanksgiving we were loading a few trucks for the air runs and I was disgusted with how the other loaders were loading the trucks. Actually they were just tossing packages on the shelves. I took time to put them in order; which started an argument between me and my coworkers. This guy was tossing packages on top of what I loaded. I pulled the packages out and found 2 misloads. I, being the overly dramatic individual that I am, started yelling for the sup that just shrugged his shoulders and said “let the driver sort it out.” So given the fact that some preload sups and now preloaders are against the “highly” paid drivers I have to say you drivers are not paid enough to put up with this crap. Shouldn’t we all be on the same side?

Another thing I’d like to know is when did supervisors get bionic noses? I have had several leaking packages that I brought to my sups attention. He sniffed and said “it’s okay put it on the truck.” I refused; stuff was dripping off the package so whatever was in there was a mess. I was also told that a package marked “fragile, glass, do not toss” that sounded very broken could also be loaded. I told my sup that it sounded broken and asked him to take a look. I would not want to be the driver who shows up with a package that is obviously broken. I note the PAL number and last 4 of the tracking and let the driver know that the package was damaged and what I did with it; this way if someone sneaks on my truck after I am sent home they know I didn’t load it.

To address the pay for the part-timers a little more would be nice. However when I had my group interview the HR guy said this job is not for anyone that needs it to make a living. So everyone should know going into a part-time job the money is not that great (if you planned to work so you eat and pay your rent). If you just want the benefits it is a great job.

At least they had preloaders loading the trucks, in my center it was just drivers and we were only allowed 10 minutes, and the belt ran 25.

You did the right thing just set the leaker under the belt, and let them worry about it later. It has to be fixed, dangerous hazmat or not, you cant deliver a pkg in that condition. Good luck with school, I know winter break is a welcome thought!!!

30andout

Believe me, and I think I can speak for all drivers, we know when we have a good loader and really appreciate them.:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

P

paul

Steve comparing Ups to Fed-Ex or Dhl is like apples to oranges, they don't have nearly the volume we do their areas may be bigger and they may pay for their own trucks, but the network Ups has built has given the opportunity for more prosporous wage and benefit package. When a company makes billions of dollars a year, these benefit packages should be good.

I have been with Ups for 20 yrs and fill proud to be a driver, I've been thinking about the managment career with only 12 yrs to go as a driver or 15 yrs as supervisor, What would you suggest?

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1;140188[COLOR=red said:
]"Shouldn't we all be on the same side?".[/color]
Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus.
In 28 years, I've never seen everyone on the same side.....it's the nature of the beast.

As I have mentioned before, don't cast your pearls before swine.[/quote]

.....you may have missed the point I was trying to make.

I wouldn't be surprised if she did. Looks like a quilting bee of expressions pasted together.

Yes virginia there is a santa claus

then a comment on how you have not seen everyone working togther in 28 years

then your cast pearls in front of swine line which is certainly out of context with both lines.

I see someone like yourself every now and then. they past various unrelated phrases together to try to sound educated. you could have tried to explain it to her but I don't think you can.

You are entertaining if nothing else.

Griff

I will do that. When im sitting at a meeting with others who actually have graduated from College and dont just have their GED, and we are talking about how to make money at this company despite the overpaid drivers, ill bring that up. We will discuss it right after we talk about how we have to tell drivers have to dress, shave, wear their clothes, etc. We all usually laugh pretty hard because it reminds us of our little kids. They usually want to look like misfits too.

I find your hatred for drivers funny, considering you wouldn't have a paycheck without them. Everyone in management needs to remember who really represents this company on a daily basis. It's not you or your college educated friends that sit up in the conference rooms. You went to college and hold a management job, how wonderful it must to brag about these things outside of work (you're really important). If you feel drivers are overpaid derelicts, why continue to work for an organization that underpays your college educated self? If I were you I'd be out looking for a company that values education more, since that seems to be your trump card. I went to college, therefore I'm entitled to...

Please don't play stupid and claim you don't feel underpaid. Nobody who is happy with their salary would go around claiming other people are overpaid. Using reference points of what other people are paid in the industry hold absolutely no weight. I talk to DHL, USPS, FedEx drivers on a consistent basis and ask about their jobs; we have the most physically demanding job, it's not even close. We are also the safest bunch of that group on the road (unless things have changed) and that is priceless.

DS

Fenderbender
I agree with Griff. Mr audi2006.You talk down to us from your high horse like you are better than everyone. Since I'm a moderator here, I have to remind everyone,(including myself),that name calling is frowned upon .
Why would anyone of any importance at all,waste his time insulting the front line workers that make his paycheck possible in an online message boards forum? Are they really the kinds of things you discuss at those meetings? I suggest sir,that your post was lacking all the punctuation that was taught in grade 4 English class,because you are used to text messaging your friends at the audi owners fan club.That horse you are riding is actually a rocking horse,because some day the gods above will decide that your value in that boardroom has diminished to the point of obscurity,just like the TSG department,and you just may find yourself on monster.com~On the other hand,us drivers never have to worry about that crap as long as we do our mindless little jobs every day.

tieguy

Banned
I find your hatred for drivers funny, considering you wouldn't have a paycheck without them. Everyone in management needs to remember who really represents this company on a daily basis. It's not you or your college educated friends that sit up in the conference rooms. You went to college and hold a management job, how wonderful it must to brag about these things outside of work (you're really important).

Interesting that someone who hates his job so much is so free with advice for others that he should have used himself.:peaceful:

tieguy

Banned
I agree with Griff. Mr audi2006.You talk down to us from your high horse like you are better than everyone. Since I'm a moderator here, I have to remind everyone,(including myself),that name calling is frowned upon .
Why would anyone of any importance at all,waste his time insulting the front line workers that make his paycheck possible in an online message boards forum? Are they really the kinds of things you discuss at those meetings? I suggest sir,that your post was lacking all the punctuation that was taught in grade 4 English class,because you are used to text messaging your friends at the audi owners fan club.That horse you are riding is actually a rocking horse,because some day the gods above will decide that your value in that boardroom has diminished to the point of obscurity,just like the TSG department,and you just may find yourself on monster.com~On the other hand,us drivers never have to worry about that crap as long as we do our mindless little jobs every day.

DS I humbly ask you to rethink your position. In this case you selected to support Griff who has always shown the attitude you correct only in reverse. Were you to speak against audi's perspective on your own I would not object. But since you do so in support of Griff I must point out that the person you just supported is no better and no different then the person you correct.

lost

Hi everyone,I'm new to these forums, and since I am a P/T local sort sup I figured I'd start here.
Background: 11 yrs at ups, 5 as a pre-loader, and am in my sixth yr as a local sort sup. I work in a small (19-22 runs) center, and am glad to see that every place else seems just as screwed up as we are. Our manager is the cheapest man alive, on-road sups are like Gestapo officers, and I hate em all! Actually, i'm suprised I got promoted, cuz although I did my job as a preloader, and did it well, I dont kiss ass, and in fact did and still do try to find ways to buck the system any chance I can. Apparently my body rejected the brown blood infusion.
I did my job and still buck the system a pt sup in my 6th yr too

trickpony1

Amazing how such an old thread found it's way back to the front page!!

I'm amazed too....especially when a frequent management poster seizes this opportunity to excerpt/post select quotes I have made to try and prove his point as he takes an unprovoked jab at me.

Griff

Interesting that someone who hates his job so much is so free with advice for others that he should have used himself.:peaceful:

What's "interesting" is how you got this far in life with a preschoolers reading comprehension level. I don't think I have ever claimed that I despise my job here. I've made it clear I don't think the job is the best thing since sliced bread though (who the hell does?). I don't get how that translates to me hating my job, please fill me in? If I truly hated the job itself I would no longer be working for UPS. I never take managements problems with me out on packages or customers. I don't like the way I'm treated and I'm certainly not alone in those feelings. We have been having some real problems here after our recent local elections. The company is really testing the boundaries to see what they can get away with and nobody seems to care. I guess if you aren't a masochist you have no business working for UPS, is that it Tie? You should suggest that for the next memo or text message: "Hey if you don't thoroughly enjoy being browbeat, degraded, lied to, stolen from, intimidated or harassed -- you don't belong at UPS".