Sandy Pope

"fighting on the front lines"

Is this an appropriate comment from an Employee?

Whatever if you actually were working at ups and involved in the
Union you would understand. This statement is by no means slamming your not working here its just stating the obvious. So In essence don't be
offended I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. Just saying

Local 177 goes balls out for there members if fact it's a great local who is fighting on the front lines against
Ups.

Can you please give me some "examples" of "all out for their members"....? I have no idea what the heck you are talking about(and I know you don't either). This is the problem today......people just posting "feel good" things to convince other members that things are "good" when actually things are real real bad.

Some people should try talking to full-time drivers and hear what they have to say about the "hostile" atmosphere at UPS instead of posting this BS. When are we going to have a plan to counter UPS..?? The company has one of intimidation and threats, while the 177 "leadership" has no plan at all to offer us...sad, very very sad.

Can you please give me some "examples" of "all out for their members"....? I have no idea what the heck you are talking about(and I know you don't either). This is the problem today......people just posting "feel good" things to convince other members that things are "good" when actually things are real real bad.

Some people should try talking to full-time drivers and hear what they have to say about the "hostile" atmosphere at UPS instead of posting this BS. When are we going to have a plan to counter UPS..?? The company has one of intimidation and threats, while the 177 "leadership" has no plan at all to offer us...sad, very very sad.
News flash doctor it's kinda bad everywhere right now. Every local has horror stories in these times as far as Ups is concerned. I talk to some local 177 members from time to time who are stewards and nothing is perfect. This Ups production push is everywhere not just local 177.

I remember last year when the local flew that banner over ups when all the corporate big wigs were in town. This was a bold move that alot of locals wouldn't have the balls to try. Another funny thing that stands out is ups yes ups filing a grievance against a local 177 BA that's kinda funny. I know a little
more than you can imagine because I'm kinda a union groupie who talks to not only my ba but others as well as member who arnt part of my local.

If you don't like the rhetoric on the Brown Cafe just take yourself back to Teamster net.

One thing that will never change is there is always going to be members who like to criticize and never offer any words of encouragement kinda like TDU.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

It all starts with the members.
It's been my experience the gap in process starts there, not in local or international leadership.
Too many people think that the union is there to do everything for them.
That's not how it works.
If we stand together for common goals and empower the union, we have enormous potential.
As it stands now, we have to much apathy and not enough involvement from the members.
Maybe if things continue get worse people will wakeup and unite.
As long as we sit back and wait for somebody else to do it, we won't get what we deserve.
Wake up Teamsters!

News flash doctor it's kinda bad everywhere right now. Every local has horror stories in these times as far as Ups is concerned. I talk to some local 177 members from time to time who are stewards and nothing is perfect. This Ups production push is everywhere not just local 177.

I remember last year when the local flew that banner over ups when all the corporate big wigs were in town. This was a bold move that alot of locals wouldn't have the balls to try. Another funny thing that stands out is ups yes ups filing a grievance against a local 177 BA that's kinda funny. I know a little
more than you can imagine because I'm kinda a union groupie who talks to not only my ba but others as well as member who arnt part of my local.

If you don't like the rhetoric on the Brown Cafe just take yourself back to Teamster net.

So you talk to shop stewards and you think that gives you some sort of "insider" info....? I said talk to the full-time drivers if you want to "find out" what the average member thinks about the "great 177". Most of us are on our own when we walk into UPS..that's 177's fault! They see the "great 177" as just another group we have to pay from our paycheck. They don't introduce themselves to anyone..they walk around with attitudes and have no people skills whatsoever! As for the flying banner...big deal! What did that accomplish except a waste of money. We need a plan that every building should follow in combating this company. We could do it if we had the people in charge with some brains and initiative, but we don't so rah-rah guys like you will post propaganda for some reason, while everyone's life is miserable on the floor. When people like you start holding the leadership accountable instead of making lame statements of "greatness" maybe than we can at least fight back.
For being the biggest groups of Teamsters, we are so disorganized and ineffective that UPS just rolls over us...............but that's what we get for eliminating our only real strength in the contract..work stoppage!

It all starts with the members.
It's been my experience the gap in process starts there, not in local or international leadership.
Too many people think that the union is there to do everything for them.
That's not how it works.
If we stand together for common goals and empower the union, we have enormous potential.
As it stands now, we have to much apathy and not enough involvement from the members.
Maybe if things continue get worse people will wakeup and unite.
As long as we sit back and wait for somebody else to do it, we won't get what we deserve.
Wake up Teamsters!

Shouldn't it be the Union leadership that gets us together..?? Why is it the members fault...? Stop making excuses for them all.....why did they run for office?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Shouldn't it be the Union leadership that gets us together..?? Why is it the members fault...? Stop making excuses for them all.....why did they run for office?

No, the leadership was put in place by the membership through the election process.
I'm not familiar with Local 177, but if they are lacking in some capacity they can be replaced.
I'm speaking to the lack of involvement of the members.
No officials should have to search out a driver to discover the mood or climate of the job.
They should live it along with them through the grievance procedure daily if things are bad.
We have plenty of Chiefs and not enough Indians.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I just hope Sandy isn't hurrying to add anymore to the already bankrupt NYS pension fund. We have had to give up our raises for the next 2 years to fluff the fund back up to healthy status.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just hope Sandy isn't hurrying to add anymore to the already bankrupt NYS pension fund. We have had to give up our raises for the next 2 years to fluff the fund back up to healthy status.

The pension fund is not bankrupt. It is in critical status and the rehabilitation plan (Schedule E) will bring it back to where it needs to be. The economic downturn in 2008-09 and the fact that they are paying out more than they are taking in have led us to where we are today. We have retirees making more in retirement than they were while they were working, some as high as $6K/month. Were you as confused by the paperwork that you received this week as I was? I thought the issue was resolved. I would much rather give up a few pennies today to have a healthy pension when I retire in 9 years.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I talked to Sandy in the parking lot before the sort ( she new Red from Chicago) she seemed genuine and was able to converse and have knowledge of most of the issues.I think she deserves a chance in the comming election. As stated in this thread her package person will be important to us. I think it is time for a change maybe she is the right person to take over.We need to pay attention in the months ahead.

nascar

Sooooo, what does everybody here think about Sandy Pope running against James Hoffa?
From what I've read, she looks like a good candidate that just might finally unseat Hoffa as General President.
Your thoughts?
dont think so stick with ibt people not radical tdu