satelite route

gray squirrel

There is a good route up for bid now at my center. I have the seniority to get this route. There have been 3 drivers retire from this route since I have been at this center. The problem is management is saying they want to make this a satelite route. It is 45 miles to the first stop. They want to make a driver on a route next to this one pull a trailer, and drop it at a secure location. Isn't he going to have to drive 45 miles to his first stop now. How does the truck get serviced, washed? What about my pick ups and diad at the end of the day. I would have to drive 45 miles to start my day. I can't see how this would save UPS money. Sounds like spending dollars to save nickles to me. Any info on this matter would be great, as the bid ends on friday.

satellitedriver

There is a good route up for bid now at my center. I have the seniority to get this route. There have been 3 drivers retire from this route since I have been at this center. The problem is management is saying they want to make this a satelite route. It is 45 miles to the first stop. They want to make a driver on a route next to this one pull a trailer, and drop it at a secure location. Isn't he going to have to drive 45 miles to his first stop now. How does the truck get serviced, washed? What about my pick ups and diad at the end of the day. I would have to drive 45 miles to start my day. I can't see how this would save UPS money. Sounds like spending dollars to save nickles to me. Any info on this matter would be great, as the bid ends on friday.
If you don't live on the route near where the trailer is dropped, do not bid on it, unless you are willing to move.
It has to be a symbiotic relationship.
They save miles deadheading a pkg car and you save miles deadheading to and fro to the center.
The truck gets regular PM by a swapout of trucks.
You want your truck washed, wash it yourself.
Your diad is in the trailer in the morning, you must be at the trailer in time for the trailer to pull back to the center, with your diad and pickups.
Finish what is left in your pkg car.
Punchout over the phone.
There is alot of personal responsibility in being a satellitedriver, you must keep all the dress code standards, codes of conduct and being able to self manage.
I think I am the last man standing from the original satellite program in Texas, the rest thought they were smarter than the system, since they never see a sup or the center.
I have been a satellite driver for 12yrs, it ain't easy.
PAX

Just Lurking

If you don't live on the route near where the trailer is dropped, do not bid on it, unless you are willing to move.

PAX

He could bid on the route since they are only thinking about satelliting (is that really word outside of UPS) the route. If they run it out of the center he has a good route with a lot of windshield time. Or he can vacate it when they do satellite it by bumping a junior man of his choice. Not much to lose unless he is the most junior man and I doubt it since he plans on winning a good route bid.

govols019

You smell that?
They've brought up the idea of satellite routes here the last two years. Problem is we are only $750 a year above what they consider the break even point money saving wise.

I figure they will eventually go in because fuel prices aren't going to go back down.

When they do go in I'm moving to the area they will be in. Wish they would do it tomorrow.

satellitedriver

He could bid on the route since they are only thinking about satelliting (is that really word outside of UPS) the route. If they run it out of the center he has a good route with a lot of windshield time. Or he can vacate it when they do satellite it by bumping a junior man of his choice. Not much to lose unless he is the most junior man and I doubt it since he plans on winning a good route bid.
The entire concept of a satellite route is that it is not run out of the center.
If he bids on a satellite route, there is no windsheild time. The truck will be parked at the drop point near the trailer. He would have to drive the 45 miles in his own car without pay. Just like driving to your center to start work.
Where I am there is no bumping, you bid on a route, you run that route.
I ,as a satellitedriver, can not be bid off my route by anyone.
Satellite route's are considered a center unto themselves and not under the normal bid process.
That is the way it works down here.
He had better check all the fine print on the papers he will have to sign before he bids.
PAX

satellitedriver

They've brought up the idea of satellite routes here the last two years. Problem is we are only $750 a year above what they consider the break even point money saving wise.

I figure they will eventually go in because fuel prices aren't going to go back down.

When they do go in I'm moving to the area they will be in. Wish they would do it tomorrow.
How do they figure only $750 a year?
My being a satellite driver saves the company 70 to 100 miles(on average) a day on road. At a conservative estimate of $1.00 a mile to run a pkg car, the $750 is covered in 2 weeks.
Even if it only saved them 10 miles a day, over the time frame of a year, the savings add up to much more the $750.
PAX

govols019

You smell that?
No, the actual money saved would be $8,250 a year. The savings at which putting in a satellite route becomes an option is $7,500. Were too close to the cut-off point right now to justify putting them in.

Just Lurking

The entire concept of a satellite route is that it is not run out of the center.
1If he bids on a satellite route, there is no windsheild time. The truck will be parked at the drop point near the trailer. He would have to drive the 45 miles in his own car without pay. Just like driving to your center to start work.
2Where I am there is no bumping, you bid on a route, you run that route.
I ,as a satellitedriver, can not be bid off my route by anyone.
3Satellite route's are considered a center unto themselves and not under the normal bid process.
That is the way it works down here.
He had better check all the fine print on the papers he will have to sign before he bids.
PAX

I have put number in to your post to follow along.

1. He said that they are thinking about making it a satellite route. So they have not bid it has a satellite route. They may or may not bid it that way or they may bid it has a possible future satellite.

2. Under national language he does not have to follow a satellite route. It is a change of operations - he can vacate and bump a junior person.

3. Under panel decisions in Central States (I am assuming your under Cs since your in Texas). All satellite centers are attached to their original centers. Drivers should fall under that enters seniority lists for all purposes (vacation, 8 hr request, etc). Coverage drivers that run your route when your absent should have option of starting at at satellite center or their present center.

10 percent of the 70 drivers in my center work at satellite centers that were once attached to our building. We just took 6 months of the company deciding to we want to satellite 2 more routes, no we don't, yes we do heres our 30 days for change of operations. Drivers pissed that we were forcing them to bump because of the change of operations. WIth the sad thing being that we were at fault (Union) because the company caused the change.

I will try to find the panel decision and post the exact wording for satellite routes. Sorry if I sound pissed but these satellite routes most of the time do not make sense unless your playing the UPS number game.

govols019

You smell that?
They make sense to me because where they want to put them works perfect for my retirement plans.

But, I understand people not liking them.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
It may depend on your local, but here, you could bid on the route and then bid off it and go to utility driver if it does go satellite. Once you win a bid on a pkg route, its yours until you bid off it you can never be bumped off.

All the best routes in my building are getting satellited and are now becoming the least desirable.
My center just "satellited" the top two routes right after the 1 and 3 senior guys retired. They are now the lowest senior routes. The lowest utility drivers get put on those routes now since no one bid on them.
They cannot be assigned permanently, and the company must pay mileage to the drop point from the building to whoever they send out to cover them. All the allowances change and what used to be a 12 hr plan day will become more like a 6 to 7 hr plan day. Even the feed routes' allowances get jacked.

My route happens to be a feed route. I went from hardly any o/t to having to watch my ICC hours. Two drivers were supposed to be in my trailer, but now its only one due to containment issues that we forewarned the IE guy about-Hate to say I told you so to an IE guy! Wait a minuite, no I don't:w00t:-no offense Dudebro:wink:
(Dudebro, any relation to db apparel?)

gray squirrel

It is not up for bid as a satelite route. It is being bid as a regular route. I just want to be sure I have all the facts before I bid on this route. It is a good route that I could retire with. I was told it has been on the satelite list for two years now. I was told it will be considered this Oct. or next Oct. We will be getting the PAS system in the next couple of weeks, so I can't see them cramming this satelite thing that soon. We are under the central states union contract. I can't find anything in the book about this. I have sent e-mails to the union, but they were sent back, maybe changed their address so they don't have to worry about our extended center with mega union violations. They have threatened running satelite routes before, but I think mainly to get some of the older guys to retire. I will try to contact the union again today.

Bid it if they make it a sat route later it will fall under art 38 change of operations and if you read that article it will explain your rights in following your work and bumping.

speedbug

I think it is funny when I see someone offer advice when they don't have a clue. I do not know of anyone who works under the CENTRAL STATES CONTRACT. I am in Texas and work under the NATIONAL MASTER AGREEMENT and the SOUTHERN CONFERENCE SUPPLEMENT. Central States only handles my pension and health and welfare. If you want to be inform read the contract agreemant and become involved in your local union.

I think its really funny too that you have no idea what you are talking about. Article 38 in the National Master agreement deals with change of operations which was used in my center when a satelite run was implented. We also use the Central States Supplement and The Ohio Rider. By the way the satelite route was disolved because it did not work.

So what are you talking about because us Ohioans don't understand that Texas Talk.:thumbup1:

speedbug

3. Under panel decisions in Central States (I am assuming your under Cs since your in Texas). All satellite centers are attached to their original centers. Drivers should fall under that enters seniority lists for all purposes (vacation, 8 hr request, etc). Coverage drivers that run your route when your absent should have option of starting at at satellite center or their present center.

I think it is very funny when someone tries to offer advice and have no idea what they are talking about. I work in Texas also but I work under the NATIONAL MASTER AGREEMENT and the SOUTHERN CONFERENCE SUPPLEMENT. Central States only handle my pension and health & welfare. If you read your contract book you can find the answers to most questions. Also try becoming active in your local union.

I think it is very funny when someone tries to offer advice and have no idea what they are talking about. I work in Texas also but I work under the NATIONAL MASTER AGREEMENT and the SOUTHERN CONFERENCE SUPPLEMENT. Central States only handle my pension and health & welfare. If you read your contract book you can find the answers to most questions. Also try becoming active in your local union.

Absolutely correct

satellitedriver

Ok,
This is a fun thread to read.
So far, I am the only satellite driver to jump in the discussion.
I amazed at all the wisdom being dispensed.
When the satellite route in my center was first preposed, 13 yrs ago, it was the same discussions. I backed away, I only had 10 yrs seniority and all the union stewards were wanting it.
By the time all the details were worked out, after 3 months of in-fighting and rule making, all the drivers realized they would have to move or drive their personal car 50 miles away.
As I was getting in to my pkg car one morning, the center manager came up and said "We need to talk in the office". My response was " What the Hell did I do"?
He laughed and asked if I was interested in the satellite route. I said ,"Yes".
When we walked into his office, the first person I saw was the DM behind the desk.
"Big Daddy Dave",
and along the wall were the twelve drivers that had been fighting amongst themselves and demanding how the satellite system should be set up.
Big Daddy, asked me( without preamble) if I wanted the satellite route.
I knew I was the lowest senoirity person in the room.
I pointed at each one of the drivers( one by one) in the room and asked them the question
"Do you want this route?"
All answered ,no.
I looked at the DM and said, "OK, where do you want me to be on Monday?"
He told me.
I then said, "Y'all work out the paperwork. I still have a route to run today."
Y'all keep posting about satellite routes.
PAX

Gman24

2 satellite routes were created at my center a little over 1 year ago. I won the bid on one of the routes and ran it for 10 months. It was a WIN WIN situation for me since the routes were moved to my hometown, just 10 minutes from my house. However, under our LOCALS approved and ADDED Satellite language, the satellite routes fell under the same bid as our regular centers routes and were included in our most recent bid. I was bid off by seniority and fell under the same seniroty rules list as the satellite routes home center.

I would see what your local says in regards to your situation, because from the research I have done, it is not done the same way in some regions.

dudebro

My route happens to be a feed route. I went from hardly any o/t to having to watch my ICC hours. Two drivers were supposed to be in my trailer, but now its only one due to containment issues that we forewarned the IE guy about-Hate to say I told you so to an IE guy! Wait a minuite, no I don't:w00t:-no offense Dudebro:wink:
(Dudebro, any relation to db apparel?)
Hey, we can be wrong. On my desk is my favorite motto, "Go look". I can run all the queries in the world and they may point me in a direction, but personally, I won't take that direction until I "go look".
And the Dudebro has no specific meaning. When I ran the MEANJ N air sort I had a real character as my container supervisor. Quite a few of his sentences started that way when he was stalling to think of an answer to a question. As in, "Why is it going to take you until 5AM to wrap up?". "Dude, bro, I had two less people....etc." It always struck me as funny. He married my clerk and became a Newark NJ police detective. Ah memories.