Saturday force in for minimum

vantexan

"Vantexan" related a situation much like this sometime ago.

Since minimum pay requires an employee to work all hours scheduled and OFFERED, if you are below 35 hours in your normal 5 day work week - and are offered work on your scheduled day off, and you refuse, I believe it constitutes an automatic waiver of minimums.

Take a look in PEOPLE, section that deals with pay, then requirements for minimum pay. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the key phrase "offered" is still in there.

PEOPLE is also changed according to the whim of Express without them notifying the employees of a change, so just because something is policy at one time, doesn't mean it is written in stone.

Actually if you are on either a 4 or 5 day schedule and don't get a full 35 hrs they can't make you work a day off to get at least 35. In my case mgr was forcing me to work less than 35 hrs and waiving my minimum. I volunteered to work Saturday to get more hrs and usually ended up with 36-38 hrs on 6 days. Went to the company about it after transferring. I felt all those weeks where I worked less than 35 on 5 days I should've been paid the difference. If I worked 32 hrs, should have been paid for 3 hrs. But company said the hours I worked on Saturday could be applied to my minimum so I only got reimbursed for 2 weeks I didn't work Saturday. Southern V.P. told me week was 7 days, not 5, and plenty of employees get their guarantee on more than 5 days. I've been all over the country with FedEx and never saw that once.

vantexan

They can't COMPEL you to come in to work on a scheduled day off - unless they implement the draft procedures.

However, if you have worked less than minimums in a given week AND are offered additional hours to work on your scheduled day off (automatic OT), AND you turn down the additional shift - you automatically forfeit minimum pay for the week.

You manager will keep track of your hours, and on your last scheduled day of the week, if it looks like you will work less than minimums for the week - they will "ask" you to come in on Saturday (run overflow, help on the sort , twiddle your thumbs....).

You have the ability to turn down this offer, but if you do, you've also turned down you ability to collect minimum pay.

I'm trying to get precise verification on this, but at this stage, I'm all but certain this capability exists.

Sorry, have to disagree with you. There would be no guaranteed pay at all under this criteria. It's the mgr's duty to make sure you get at least 35 hrs on your regular schedule. They may be able to apply your volunteering to work Saturday to your minimum, but they can't compel you to work it to get your minimum. If you have already worked 5 days and got 33 hrs, but aren't willing/able to work the 6th day, they owe you 2 hrs of pay.

vantexan

On the other hand, I used to work with a courier who was constantly looking to get rid of freight. He'd get angry if you wouldn't take stops from him. He was getting less than 35 hrs consistently until finally mgr claimed he pupped a drbx before it's ready time, which he denied. Fired him. 17 yr employee. Got himself listed on an age discrimination lawsuit against FedEx.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Most stations and ramps have a computer which they set aside for "training" purposes. This computer is usually left unlocked, or if it is locked, you can log in by selecting the training option. This will give you access to the Express intranet, and therefore PEOPLE online.

The elimination of the hard copy of PEOPLE from the employee break rooms isn't coincidental - it is by design.

Exactly. Look around your station and see if there is a hardbound PEOPLE binder anywhere. Good luck.

XFILED

Exactly. Look around your station and see if there is a hardbound PEOPLE binder anywhere. Good luck.

Yeah I agree...I got lucky about 8 years ago when me and this MGR used to butt heads all the time on Labor law and Company Policy and he gave me a People Manual to look at...Ive been trying to find it but I haven't been able to...I never really cared too much for their "policy" cause they can always just say "operational needs" to weasel their way out of most things so I spent most of my time learning the State Labor Laws...Funny thing is they have shown a disregard to State Labor Laws since I started at Fedex.....Thats why they have been sued so much since I've started working here..
I feel bad for some of you guys who work in those states that are anti worker...I can only imagine how much worse it is for you then us workers in California..

LTFedExer

Swing driver this past week was SCHEDULED for 24 hours. Called HR and was told would be paid for 35. Did not need to work Saturday.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Swing driver this past week was SCHEDULED for 24 hours. Called HR and was told would be paid for 35. Did not need to work Saturday.

Bingo. Had he worked Saturday he would have gotten 35 hours pay PLUS OT for all hours worked on Saturday.