Saturday Ground Delivery

35years

Gravy route
What happened to the locals all having info meetings before anything is implemented?

Apparently member input is not a high priority. The timing of this change is very suspect. It should be part of the upcoming contract negotiations, instead of this piecemeal approach. A unified national policy would be a major bargaining chip that the company would have to pay for with other concessions.

Unless it was part of the overall contract proposal my attitude would be... if you want Saturday drivers, ask for 6th shift volunteers at the overtime rate. If not, then wait till contract time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What happened to the locals all having info meetings before anything is implemented?

Apparently member input is not a high priority. The timing of this change is very suspect. It should be part of the upcoming contract negotiations, instead of this piecemeal approach. A unified national policy would be a major bargaining chip that the company would have to pay for with other concessions.

Unless it was part of the overall contract proposal my attitude would be... if you want Saturday drivers, ask for 6th shift volunteers at the overtime rate. If not, then wait till contract time.

The language is already in most, if not all, of our supplements, so there is/was no need for info meetings.

35years

Gravy route
The language is already in most, if not all, of our supplements, so there is/was no need for info meetings.
So tell us wise sage and expert on any and all supplements...

Please tell us the the answers to the following , and if the answers apply to all supplements...

1. Will drivers or routes be moved to Tuesday to Saturday?
2. Will bldg wide or center wide seniority determine who works Saturday?
3. Will seniority or area knowledge determine who works Saturday and Monday and what area they cover.
4. If I a M-friend driver and took a day off could they force me to work a Saturday if they are short staffed? At straight time or overtime?
5. If a low seniority driver has his shift switched to T-S how long does the switch to Saturday last? 1 year? 1 month? The rest of his career?

100 other questions...

Dave, I suggest you stop trying to weigh in on contract issues...Something of which you have demonstrated you have no expertise.

There is rudimentary language in some, not all supplements.

35years

Gravy route
Upstate/West New York and United Parcel Service Rider:

Work performed on Saturday as such shall be paid for at the rate of one and one-half (1 1/2) times the regular hourly rate.
- 217 - The Employer may institute a Tuesday through Saturday workweek for feeder drivers only,

I wish our region had this language!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate/West New York and United Parcel Service Rider:

Work performed on Saturday as such shall be paid for at the rate of one and one-half (1 1/2) times the regular hourly rate.
- 217 - The Employer may institute a Tuesday through Saturday workweek for feeder drivers only,

I wish our region had this language!

Nice job cherry picking supplement language to support your position.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
1. Will drivers or routes be moved to Tuesday to Saturday?
2. Will bldg wide or center wide seniority determine who works Saturday?
3. Will seniority or area knowledge determine who works Saturday and Monday and what area they cover.
4. If I a M-friend driver and took a day off could they force me to work a Saturday if they are short staffed? At straight time or overtime?
5. If a low seniority driver has his shift switched to T-S how long does the switch to Saturday last? 1 year? 1 month? The rest of his career?
1. drivers; can't move a route that doesn't technically exist yet

2. center

3. depends how strong the union in your area is

4. they wouldn't because that might :censored2: with DOT hours; it'd be straight pay if they did, unless your day off was paid

5. till the next bidding cycle

'Lord Brown's bidding'

"Routes" aren't moved to Saturday. Focus is on residential ground, thus far no commercial except what is delivered as Saturday air. Two drivers might cover the area of two loops, which may normally have 5 or 6 drivers on a typical weekday. My center has 18 assigned drivers for 15 routes, in a center that typically runs 50-60 routes.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
1. drivers; can't move a route that doesn't technically exist yet

2. center

3. depends how strong the union in your area is

4. they wouldn't because that might :censored2: with DOT hours; it'd be straight pay if they did, unless your day off was paid

5. till the next bidding cycle

Point 4. So far here, m-friend drivers have been paid OT on Saturday regardless of hours worked. Same for T-S if worked on Monday.

ManInBrown

I really don't understand their confusion. All they really need to do is make the routes that are normally cut on Mondays a T-S job. Not a single person has any solid information on the subject. It's like they are going in blind.
My route is cut Mondays? Why should I have to work T-S? I still work on Mondays. I cover drive. It should be volunteers, and then force.

ManInBrown

Apparently production is in the toilet in our building on saturdays. Part of the problem is most of the guys forced to do saturdays are lower seniority guys who have very little area knowledge, and the routes are spread all over creation. The stop counts, on paper don't look unreasonable, it just takes a ton of time to drive all over creation. Most of us follow Orion 100% almost to prove a point. A lot of guys coming in 20-30 miles over on some routes and, legitimately, have no idea why. Lol.
Good. Hopefully those drivers keep up the good work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Dude the union doesn't have a clue what's going on. Last meeting I ask about Saturday. "Oh they just recently mentioned something about it in the St. Louis area. You know ups they'll be lucky to implement it before the end of the year."

Literally 2 weeks later ups announces St. Louis Saturday ground coming next month. Smh the union is lost on this one.

35years

Gravy route
You see we already have different answers for different areas.

TearsInRain contends an occasional forced Saturday would be at straight time if it was 5th punch; MyTripsCut is getting time and a half for 5th punch Saturday ground.

TearsInRain contends that Center (not bldg) seniority will determine who is forced to work T-Sat; Our multiple Center bldg is going by bldg wide seniority.

TearsInRain contends that the T-Sat forced shift will last till "the new bidding cycle"... Well, some areas re-bid routes yearly and some areas have permanent route bids. So no consistency there.

That is why we need informational/input meetings.
These, and literally a hundred other issues with the T-Sat shift implementation should be negotiated in the broader context of full contract negotiations.

If all Sat work for MyTripsCut is now paid at time and 1/2 (even Sat ground) then pretending to "create" new T-Sat routes (TearsInRain call them new routes) by shifting the work to Saturday, is just a free concession.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
Dude the union doesn't have a clue what's going on. Last meeting I ask about Saturday. "Oh they just recently mentioned something about it in the St. Louis area. You know ups they'll be lucky to implement it before the end of the year."

Literally 2 weeks later ups announces St. Louis Saturday ground coming next month. Smh the union is lost on this one.
My guess is the locals don't want imput/info meetings till they negotiate all of it out before hand. Otherwise drivers will be mad when they implement and it doesn't go down the way they wanted. Kind of like the contract negotiations.

The Union will claim they don't have any answers till it is actually a done deal.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

My guess is the locals don't want imput/info meetings till they negotiate all of it out before hand. Otherwise drivers will be mad when they implement and it doesn't go down the way they wanted. Kind of like the contract negotiations.

The Union will claim they don't have any answers till it is actually a done deal.
It's already a done deal. There's nothing to negotiate.

Inthegame

So you find it impossible to believe UPS lied to your local union officers? To what purpose would your local benefit by witholding information about Sat delivery?

In early February, UPS told the Central Region Director (your PO at the time) Sat delivery would be starting in some locations in the Central region in 2017. The exact locations were not shared until March.

BTW, Tue-Sat schedules have been in the book since you've been in diapers. Anyone who didn't think it would eventually happen, doesn't have a clue. SMH

Brownslave688

So you find it impossible to believe UPS lied to your local union officers? To what purpose would your local benefit by witholding information about Sat delivery?

In early February, UPS told the Central Region Director (your PO at the time) Sat delivery would be starting in some locations in the Central region in 2017. The exact locations were not shared until March.

BTW, Tue-Sat schedules have been in the book since you've been in diapers. Anyone who didn't think it would eventually happen, doesn't have a clue. SMH
No one lied to anyone. It was pretty obvious either my BA had no idea what was going on or he was withholding information.

I honestly believe he just didn't have any idea. The most telling thing about all of it was him saying oh you know ups after they announce its coming it'll take them a good 6 months to implement it.

I was more asking to see how informed he was ( I suspected not very) there were a number of issues with Saturday that he had no idea how it was working in other areas.