Saturday Ground Update

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Back in early November, Saturday ground was to be the "savior of Peak"! A few weeks later, not so much.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Shippers want their customers to get packages faster.
We have the best delivery system in the business.
Shippers will force UPS into Saturday delivery or they will leave.
This isn't a choice for our company, it will be done in metro areas.

upschuck

Some electronic, invisible fence in all the trucks that will make a noise when a package that wasn't meant for that truck is brought into it.
Yeah, we already have that. Has cut the misleads down a ton. Wasn't used during peak, though, because it adds a little time to each package.

ManInBrown

Back in early November, Saturday ground was to be the "savior of Peak"! A few weeks later, not so much.
I disagree. I didn't work one Saturday at peak. Was absolutely buried every Monday. Did not bother me in the least. Worked 14 hours every Monday. And everything got delivered. I'll be damned if I'm working Saturday, and then being sent to help someone on Monday when I'm finished. Or they give me a bunch of work that isn't mine. For what? Same thing happened to another driver in my loop. He was promised he wouldn't be sent to help anyone on Monday. They lied. What a shock.

OptimusPrime

Some places have tried this and discontinued it already. It isn't seeming to be a profitable solution everywhere and in every market so far.

Just recently had a PCM about this. Was told it's zero profit to the company because obviously we weren't doing it before, and we already were shipping from these companies. It's only being used to keep contracts we already had. That being said, we need to bury the USPS. Obviously we can't put much pressure on Fedex, but if the USPS is forcing us into Saturday delivery all that Sure Post volume needs to be stopped from entering their system.

Just recently had a PCM about this. Was told it's zero profit to the company because obviously we weren't doing it before, and we already were shipping from these companies. It's only being used to keep contracts we already had. That being said, we need to bury the USPS. Obviously we can't put much pressure on Fedex, but if the USPS is forcing us into Saturday delivery all that Sure Post volume needs to be stopped from entering their system.
Why can't they make Sure Post a 22.3 job?
Give someone an easy last year or two of their career?

LeadBelly

Banned
Why can't they make Sure Post a 22.3 job?
Give someone an easy last year or two of their career?
The post office Sunday delivery drivers work for a flat $16.00 dollar rate. They use inside employees and temporary employees that don't reach the required days in a calendar period. It's not going to be easy to compete with those kind of work rules.