Saturday Ground Update

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
While I'm not a fan of forced 6 day workweeks, if it was an issue when I started driving, I might have bid that shift if the route was decent.

One problem with the M-friend week is that if you need to go to a govt office (drivers licence, auto license etc.) attorney, bank, whatever some still aren't open on weekends.

Plus, it would give drivers a weekday off with their kids to possibly allow you to attend that recital or ball game you always miss.

Another plus, it's likely to be a shift with limited supervision, due to mgmt still mostly working M-friend.

That's just a few of the driver advantages I could see as a possibility.

LeadBelly

Banned
I know. What's the answer?
Well members need to understand first that this is a service that we need to compete with our our competitors. People want faster deliveries and on the weekends.

In the central we have had the language since the early 90's to do this. Instead of blaming and I'm not saying you, we need to go understand the ever changing nature of the industry.

This will go by seniority as far as who's affected. Obviously this might enable the company to cut more routes on Monday. Where I'm at though it's not possible to cut more routes because covering the pickups is at the lowest point (I think) possible.

So I guess we need good some good contract proposals as negotiations start. Grievances help with these proposals. Let's learn from others in the past that if you really want to help everyone and not your own campaign that you need to grieve these issues so they are brought out into the open.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just recently had a PCM about this. Was told it's zero profit to the company because obviously we weren't doing it before, and we already were shipping from these companies. It's only being used to keep contracts we already had. That being said, we need to bury the USPS. Obviously we can't put much pressure on Fedex, but if the USPS is forcing us into Saturday delivery all that Sure Post volume needs to be stopped from entering their system.
Lol you do realize all of that stuff would just go straight to the post office and we'd never touch it.

Oak

Lol you do realize all of that stuff would just go straight to the post office and we'd never touch it.
Amazon packages already being delivered on semi trailers straight to USPS for M-friend delivery here. I'm told it's being done in select areas. Our building has only one or two zip codes for amazon stuff now.

Sucks, as we suddenly have too many FT drivers.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
How far do you have to drive to work, I imagine even making 100k a year san Fran is still too expensive?

I don't live or work in SF. I guess I should have just said the Bay Area. Yeah SF is expensive as :censored2:. Some of the surrounding areas are as well but thankfully my area isn't too bad.

MC4YOU2

That's happened a few times before. Deferred delivery was one great idea that went into the crapper after about a year of failure.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's happened a few times before. Deferred delivery was one great idea that went into the crapper after about a year of failure.

"Rural remote" was a very sound concept until management started to use it as a dispatch tool.

When they first started RR in my center they would put the held packages under the belt and we would dig through them to see if we could get rid of any of them "in town". They then began to hold entire towns and reloaded those packages in to an empty trailer.

MC4YOU2

Another issue with Deferred was, our rural routes were sectioned into 2 rural "halves" each, with say, East side getting del Tues and Thurs and the West side on Wed and Fri.

Then, if you got an air pkg on the "off" side one day, you were allowed to del everything up that point, but no further.

Then, there were rural businesses to consider. Farms, repair shops etc. They hated it and rightly bitched about the change.

Then, it also became OK to deliver a birthday present on the off side. Then, if anyone simply said they really needed their pkg. Etc etc etc.

Dispatch tool is correct though. There was a real tendency to use it in an attempt to curtail OT when the whole center was slammed, in the metro areas, regardless of whether or not it fit the actual plan. Many times it did not.