Saturday Ground Update

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
we hired more than normal post-peak (as tues-sat drivers), so the increase in staffing going forward may not look as heavy as you'd expect, but the coverage will be there

generally for every 2 routes run on saturday, you can expect 1 route to be cut on monday
this has been the successful ratio to make service while still keeping plan days reasonable (9.1 avg)
How do you plan on combining 2 full pickup routes into one delivery route on Mondays?

Pickups have to be done in a consistent time frame. You cant just show up at a heavy pickup 3 hours early on Monday (which is often their heaviest shipping day) and expect them to be ready. Nor can you force 1500 cubic feet of pickup volume into a P-1000. Especially when that P-1000 still has 500 cubic feet of undelivered business volume from an adjacent (eliminated) route on board. We have enough problems already on Mondays during the summer when management gets cut-happy, thinning the volume out even more by delivering it on Saturdays will only make things worse.

I get that we need to provide Saturday delivery service in order to compete. But we also still need to provide Monday pickup service in order to compete.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
How do you plan on combining 2 full pickup routes into one delivery route on Mondays?

Pickups have to be done in a consistent time frame. You cant just show up at a heavy pickup 3 hours early on Monday (which is often their heaviest shipping day) and expect them to be ready. Nor can you force 1500 cubic feet of pickup volume into a P-1000. Especially when that P-1000 still has 500 cubic feet of undelivered business volume from an adjacent (eliminated) route on board. We have enough problems already on Mondays during the summer when management gets cut-happy, thinning the volume out even more by delivering it on Saturdays will only make things worse.

I get that we need to provide Saturday delivery service in order to compete. But we also still need to provide Monday pickup service in order to compete.
Whole new company and directives. Times are a changin

luke3115

Just did our first Saturday ground today. 166 stops covered about 5 or 6 different routes 115 miles. It feels like the day Was never gonna end.

I'm in year 3 of 4 for the wage progression and to be honest I feel if we are going to make the big leap to saturdays and lose quality family time we should be at top pay. UPS is benefiting tremendously from this as almost all the Saturday guys are new hires. Who knows what's gonna happen in the next four years when they eventually work to top pay.

Anyone know what the next contract will change if anything about wages?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

you didn't read my post carefully, the numbers you have in mind are all wrong, and everything you pointed out is painfully obvious to everyone

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
you didn't read my post carefully, the numbers you have in mind are all wrong, and everything you pointed out is painfully obvious to everyone
And you didn't read my post carefully. You are an IE person, so the numbers you have in mind are based upon a fantasy and not real-world experience. Anyone who has any actual driving experience knows that you cannot combine two full pickup routes into one. It doesn't work.

35years

Gravy route
They tried this after the 1997 strike. They claimed volume was way down because of the strike and 1/2 of the routes were cut out. Covering pickups for two routes will lose you many customers. Delivering business stops for two routes ensures plenty of missed stops as well.

The newbie drivers on Sat may be pushed around but the Monday drivers will take full break and lunch and bring them back missed.