Saturday Ground Update

ManInBrown

It's all about your local. This is absurd. They can't just move you automatically. Get in your local's President
face and demand to know what is going on.
Believe me. I'm going to do just that, once the official word comes down about how this is going to be implemented.

The scenario I explained of just automatically moving bid drivers who don't have a home on Monday is absurd. ABSURD. I'm a cover driver already on Mondays. I would just as soon go back to being a FT cover driver, then keep my bid and work T-S. Because you know, instead of it just being cut Mondays, it's going to be cut even more days, with work being moved Saturdays. I'll probably be lucky if it's in 2-3 days a week.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

I don't why UPS just assumes that no one would want a Tues-Sat. bid. I'll bet there will be more than enough
drivers who want it.
Exactly. I know for a fact, plenty of drivers in my center would work T-S. Drivers with more seniority than me. The "panickers" as I like to call them. The ones who you can see it in there face every morning dreading all the problems they might face that day. The ones on the computer screen 45 minutes before start time going over there whole entire day. Those drivers would work Saturday in a heartbeat, to get away from the mess that is Monday now. Imagine how big of a mess Mondays are going to be once this kicks in.

ManInBrown

And like I said previously. If they take volunteers, and then force from the bottom up and I have to do it. I would be fine with that. It is what it is. I wouldn't be happy, but I'll do it. Seniority rules.

But to just automatically take Monday cut bid drivers is INSANE

ManInBrown

Here's where I think they are running into a problem. If they do it, strictly by seniority. Let's say bottom 25% in each center are now T-S. Almost all cover drivers will be off Monday. For the most part all the bottom people are cover drivers. So if they do that, and have no cover on Mondays, what happens when they get 7 sick calls? Or summertime when 10 drivers have the week off, and 5 call out sick on Monday? Who's pulling those routes if every cover driver is off Monday?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Might be some language you can use in Art 45, sec 2, par D
Change in Starting Time.
Where the starting time of an area is changed, the regular driver, may elect to remain on the area. If the change is from an
earlier start time to a later start time and driver elects not to go with the area, he or she may nevertheless claim the area
back if it is changed to the original starting time within the thirty (30) working day period. Where a driver’s area is changed
from a later start time to an earlier start time, a more senior driver may displace the driver being changed. The area that
becomes available as a result of this displacement shall be bid. Additional moves, if any, will be assigned by the
Employer. There shall be a ten (10) day probationary period of the driver on the new area

Shouldn't be too hard to make the case that exchanging a Monday for a Saturday constitutes a change in start time.

ManInBrown

I'll bet you're wrong.

There may be a couple of guys that don't mind but I majority of us want nothing to do with working Saturdays.
About a year ago they sent out feelers in my center for 2 FT drivers to be moved to T-S. This was well before the Saturday ground talk even started. They wanted two drivers to deliver Saturday air. And do known heavy pickups to lighten things up for Mondays pickup. Both drivers who ended up taking T-S are 25+ year drivers. Many other high seniority drivers were willing to switch also.

They knew Saturday would be cushy work and would not be a full 8 hour day. Both were willing to wave the guarantee to get an easy day.

I agree with you that it's not for everyone, but I think you would be surprised at how many would be willing to if asked.

The "panickers" are afraid of the CUT CUT CUT Mondays
And the long time guys are tired of the BS Mondays

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
About a year ago they sent out feelers in my center for 2 FT drivers to be moved to T-S. This was well before the Saturday ground talk even started. They wanted two drivers to deliver Saturday air. And do known heavy pickups to lighten things up for Mondays pickup. Both drivers who ended up taking T-S are 25+ year drivers. Many other high seniority drivers were willing to switch also.

They knew Saturday would be cushy work and would not be a full 8 hour day. Both were willing to wave the guarantee to get an easy day.

I agree with you that it's not for everyone, but I think you would be surprised at how many would be willing to if asked.

I think it depends a lot on the center. I was willing to go Tuesday thru Saturday for a full time air job but I would of been done by noon every Saturday.

I'm interested to see how Saturdays go. Anyone that has worked a Saturday knows it's totally different. The pace is stupid relaxed and there isn't a care in the world for anyone there.

However with Saturdays already looking like a big profit sucker I expect the laid back attitude to change on Saturday

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I think it depends a lot on the center. I was willing to go Tuesday thru Saturday for a full time air job but I would of been done by noon every Saturday.

I'm interested to see how Saturdays go. Anyone that has worked a Saturday knows it's totally different. The pace is stupid relaxed and there isn't a care in the world for anyone there.

However with Saturdays already looking like a big profit sucker I expect the laid back attitude to change on Saturday
Saturdays are NOT relaxed here. We run 50-54 routes tues to fri. Sat we are running 11 or 12. So, about 180 stops spread out over 6 or 7 loops worth of area. Turn on Orion and have at it!

oldupsman

BS Mondays have been going on for 20 years. And I'd waive the guarantee too for an easy day. Really. I'm jealous.
Wish they would have done this when I was still working.

Here's where I think they are running into a problem. If they do it, strictly by seniority. Let's say bottom 25% in each center are now T-S. Almost all cover drivers will be off Monday. For the most part all the bottom people are cover drivers. So if they do that, and have no cover on Mondays, what happens when they get 7 sick calls? Or summertime when 10 drivers have the week off, and 5 call out sick on Monday? Who's pulling those routes if every cover driver is off Monday?

Not your problem.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
BS Mondays have been going on for 20 years. And I'd waive the guarantee too for an easy day. Really. I'm jealous.
Wish they would have done this when I was still working.
Saturdays may be easy for a few months or even a year or two but I promise you moving forward guys will be working til 8 pm on Saturday also.