Saturday Ground Update

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are already delivering two stops at Walmart every day. Store and volume to be picked up by customers at the store location. Also they have been talking about 6 day Ground operations for a couple years now so my guess is Walmart will definitely be on the forefront of the 6 day operations.

We also deliver "Ship to Store" (but not nearly as much as you guys).

ManInBrown

So the rumor of Saturday ground hit my center last week. And the word is, all bid drivers, who's route is cut on Monday will automatically be moved to T-S.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. How in the world can they get away with that? Wouldn't the proper way to implement it be, take volunteers, and then force from the bottom up?

So a 15 year bid driver with a route that is cut on Mondays is now T-S. While a daisy fresh rookie cover driver stays M-friend? Are you kidding me? And yes there are 15 year drivers who's routes are cut Monday. Not me, but they do exist.

I'm :censored2: because I am a newer driver who's route is cut Mondays. But I probably have 20-25 drivers below me. And I know for a fact there are drivers in my center who would jump at the opportunity to have Monday's off.

It would be one thing if they took volunteers, and then forced from the bottom up, and I had to work Saturday. I would be OK with that. But to just take every driver who has a route cut Monday and move them to T-S is insane. How can they get away with that?

Can someone in a center where this has begun, confirm or refute that this is how it was implemented please?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
How many of you have shipped a package by UPS? Let me tell you we are damn expensive. The only thing we have going for us over them is our service and technology (and looks... we are totally a better looking bunch). There are times, when I am expecting a package that I hope they use a competitor, because I know I will get it on the weekend. We have to compete, and that means delivering on Saturday. It's a new world and we have to change with it.
I shipped a Next Day Air Saver Letter to Denver last Tuesday that cost me about $43. It was delivered about 6pm Wednesday. Had to overnight another letter on Thursday and chose the USPS. Priority Mail Express was only $23.75 and it arrived about 11am Friday. Guess I'm a little shocked at how much more our services cost.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So the rumor of Saturday ground hit my center last week. And the word is, all bid drivers, who's route is cut on Monday will automatically be moved to T-S.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. How in the world can they get away with that? Wouldn't the proper way to implement it be, take volunteers, and then force from the bottom up?

So a 15 year bid driver with a route that is cut on Mondays is now T-S. While a daisy fresh rookie cover driver stays M-friend? Are you kidding me? And yes there are 15 year drivers who's routes are cut Monday. Not me, but they do exist.

I'm :censored2: because I am a newer driver who's route is cut Mondays. But I probably have 20-25 drivers below me. And I know for a fact there are drivers in my center who would jump at the opportunity to have Monday's off.

It would be one thing if they took volunteers, and then forced from the bottom up, and I had to work Saturday. I would be OK with that. But to just take every driver who has a route cut Monday and move them to T-S is insane. How can they get away with that?

Can someone in a center where this has begun, confirm or refute that this is how it was implemented please?

This is not how it is supposed to work.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

What's your supplement say? Here those routes would have to be rebid.

ManInBrown

What's your supplement say? Here those routes would have to be rebid.
I'm going to check my spiral notepad local rules. What would this particular circumstance be classified under?

Another thing is when you say rebid. How can they put a route up for bid, that belongs to a driver? I didn't vacate the route. I could see future routes being bid as T-S.

This is going to be an absolute cluster:censored3:

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm going to check my spiral notepad local rules. What would this particular circumstance be classified under?
Check for it in whatever section covers package area bids, see if there's any language pertaining to permanent start time changes or permanent change in work week.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yeah I was just looking through that and I'm not seeing much language you can use, probably because you guys bid for life.

SECTION 5
Before changing the weekly scheduled starting time of any package driver more than one-half hour beyond 8:30 A.M. or
more than one hour regardless of the time, the Company shall notify the Union of said change and, upon the prompt
request of the Union, will discuss the matter with the Union prior to said change. In the event the change is made without
Agreement from the Union, the Union may grieve the issue of whether the change was arbitrary or unreasonable.

I'm assuming they already discussed it with the local so you might be stuck.

ManInBrown

Yeah I was just looking through that and I'm not seeing much language you can use, probably because you guys bid for life.

SECTION 5
Before changing the weekly scheduled starting time of any package driver more than one-half hour beyond 8:30 A.M. or
more than one hour regardless of the time, the Company shall notify the Union of said change and, upon the prompt
request of the Union, will discuss the matter with the Union prior to said change. In the event the change is made without
Agreement from the Union, the Union may grieve the issue of whether the change was arbitrary or unreasonable.

Thx for your input. Hopefully some other drivers where this has been implemented already can chime in. I know different rules, different locals but I would still like to hear how it was handled. This just seems completely :censored2: up. I see no scenario where these jack wagons get this right. I don't know how they can get away with implementing it this way.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You guys really should download your supplements to your phone or PCs in a PDF form. Under iPhone you can simply download the Master and your Supplement under iBooks and do a keyword search.

UPS Agreements, 2013 – 2018

oldupsman

SECTION 5

It's all about your local. This is absurd. They can't just move you automatically. Get in your local's President
face and demand to know what is going on.