Saturday Ground

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Not really, working four days straight and having three days off would work out the same for both drivers. Just look at a six-day operating schedule. Both drivers would get the Mon-Thursday slot an equal number of times.

PT Car Washer

There is a bit more to delivering on Saturday then just scheduling drivers. Is the center going to run a preload operation? How about mechanics for possible road calls. What to do with send agains? Who is going to park all the package cars for Monday?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There is a bit more to delivering on Saturday then just scheduling drivers. Is the center going to run a preload operation? How about mechanics for possible road calls. What to do with send agains? Who is going to park all the package cars for Monday?
Someone from corporate just printed out this post and everyone is freaking out. None of this was in the plan.

Omega man

I think that working four 10 hour days a week wouldn't be too bad, it would be nice to have a weekday off. It would be easier to schedule drivers if incoming volume was steady. We would need earlier start times to make this work. The downside is light days like Monday would mess up dispatches plus drivers would lose a lot of overtime.
Wow, what a way to give away available hours, overtime and a decent paycheck that our Union has always fought for.

STFXG

Our HD segment had 20% growth last year. Ground saw 8%. It surprises me it is taking so long for UPS to swallow up some of that Saturday volume. HD routes nearly double on Saturdays just from the additional amazon we are getting on the weekend.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

Our Saturday Air volume will spike once in a while with Amazon but we are still running the same number of drivers and stops that we have been running for years.

PACNW

Not that it couldn't or won't happen, but what is your source?

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

A friend that is at a much higher level at the company than me (we started out together many years ago and took different paths within the company). Management folks have been speculating on how it would affect them too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that working four 10 hour days a week wouldn't be too bad, it would be nice to have a weekday off. It would be easier to schedule drivers if incoming volume was steady. We would need earlier start times to make this work. The downside is light days like Monday would mess up dispatches plus drivers would lose a lot of overtime.

They tried to do that with the feeders guys here----it was voted down overwhelmingly.