Saturday work

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
@BrownMonk how you gonna fix the pension? They have plenty of money going in on each employees behalf. So other than cutting benefits how you gonna fix it?

And this is more of a union issue than a company/contract issue. They run the pensions.

Future

Victory Ride
@BrownMonk how you gonna fix the pension? They have plenty of money going in on each employees behalf. So other than cutting benefits how you gonna fix it?

And this is more of a union issue than a company/contract issue. They run the pensions.
They gave waaaay 2 much money away 2 non UPS personal .....and their company's contributed dick

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
First, you have to be aware that for years carhaul and freight had much more in contributions than UPS so we just happen to be the big contributor and it may not always be like that.
Next, in the next couple weeks there should be legislation proposed in Congress to help save what is already there. It mimics the plan that saved the Credit Unions back in the 80s and 90s when they were having huge issues. The Funds will sell longterm bonds to private investors who will forgo any payments, except interest, for a couple decades until a balloon payment way down the line. The Government will guarantee the loans so the investors have no liability. Each Fund should borrow the amount of their liability for payouts for the next couple decades and reinvest the money that they already have to make it grow in anticipation of the balloon payment. The interest rate is minimal. This gives the Funds the ability to re adjust their payout procedure and get back to financial stability. It becomes putting off the inevitable unless some real changes are made within each Fund. Trustees(both Union and Company) have to stop trying to be heroes and do the hard work. Private Funds(Company Pensions) would also have rights to the Bonds. I could see UPS borrowing money and using it as a low interest loan.
The idea is popular in Wash DC because all legislators know that the system is collapsing and the Government is on the hook and can't keep up. Also, it will put a drain on all the other government assistance programs.
I'm not sure if it will work but will give time to fix it if it is implemented. BTW BrownSlave....it isn't "my Union's" problem. It is an American problem.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
First, you have to be aware that for years carhaul and freight had much more in contributions than UPS so we just happen to be the big contributor and it may not always be like that.
Next, in the next couple weeks there should be legislation proposed in Congress to help save what is already there. It mimics the plan that saved the Credit Unions back in the 80s and 90s when they were having huge issues. The Funds will sell longterm bonds to private investors who will forgo any payments, except interest, for a couple decades until a balloon payment way down the line. The Government will guarantee the loans so the investors have no liability. Each Fund should borrow the amount of their liability for payouts for the next couple decades and reinvest the money that they already have to make it grow in anticipation of the balloon payment. The interest rate is minimal. This gives the Funds the ability to re adjust their payout procedure and get back to financial stability. It becomes putting off the inevitable unless some real changes are made within each Fund. Trustees(both Union and Company) have to stop trying to be heroes and do the hard work. Private Funds(Company Pensions) would also have rights to the Bonds. I could see UPS borrowing money and using it as a low interest loan.
The idea is popular in Wash DC because all legislators know that the system is collapsing and the Government is on the hook and can't keep up. Also, it will put a drain on all the other government assistance programs.
I'm not sure if it will work but will give time to fix it if it is implemented. BTW BrownSlave....it isn't "my Union's" problem. It is an American problem.
I spoke to someone last night who alluded to this soon to be proposed legislation, but didn't describe it in the detail you did.

Thanks for sharing.

One question, what does "This gives the Funds the ability to re adjust their payout procedure" mean???

Is this another way of saying reduce payouts to retirees?

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I spoke to someone last night who alluded to this soon to be proposed legislation, but didn't describe it in the detail you did.

Thanks for sharing.

One question, what does "This gives the Funds the ability to re adjust their payout procedure" mean???

Is this another way of saying reduce payouts to retirees?

I guess in theory they could but my best guess is that they would give less for every benefit year or change formulas that give the Funds the chance to thrive. For example: some Funds say that if you reach a number of hours, you are entitled to the same rate as everyone else that reached that number but worked numerous hours more. Other Funds give a rate on a formula for the hours you do every year.
My best guess is that the retirees would remain the same or slightly less. It would most likely be a different formula for future retirees. The balloon payment wouldn't be due until 20 or 30 years down the line so most of the retirees now would not be around at that time or have limited time to collect.
If you are paying a 1/4% interest per year on a huge loan but making 3%-5% on investments from the other money, it gives you a chance to catchup. This is based on limited rather than high risk loans. The Funds are in high risk areas now to try to stay afloat.
It is how many of the Credit Unions survived a while back but there is nothing on paper yet so I'll wait for the details.
Our Union is very interested but there are whole industries that are in worse shape. Mining, manufactoring, etc are even worse than us along with some Private Company pensions that both sides of the aisle are trying to protect so the system doesn't crash. The Credit Unions would have crashed FDIC had they failed and pension plans have a similar government agency responsible for covering lost funds.

Karma is a bitch

Be careful what you say
Originally it was by seniority, bottom guys forced in. Lasted few weeks until 2 low seniority guys, one being the steward and other alternate, were now on list. So business agent friend changed rules so his cronies could have Saturdays off and now force top guys with over 30 years in. Big conflict of interest/ corruption

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Originally it was by seniority, bottom guys forced in. Lasted few weeks until 2 low seniority guys, one being the steward and other alternate, were now on list. So business agent friend changed rules so his cronies could have Saturdays off and now force top guys with over 30 years in. Big conflict of interest/ corruption
I smell an election coming on

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I don't believe you.

Without seeing your local rider language.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Business agent friend cannot change the rules for his cronies.
He must follow and/or enforce the contract in the order of (1)your local rider, then (2)your region supplement, and finally (3) the National Master.

Nine5

My local we are re bidding now so that it's fair and then we will rebid next year so that the Biannual bid is back in track

LongIslandNewbie

In my Center I was told Saturdays are now based on Seniority. Unfortunately i am one of the bottom 16 guys that is now forced to give up my family life on Saturdays. But Why not plan better. Since they knew this was coming why not hire more Tues-Sat guys? Weekends off were one of the reasons I took this job. They better hire faster rather than slower to get me off this list.