Saturday work

BrownStains

What if you have a bid route mon-fri and they force you in on Saturday because of a shortage. Can they put you on any route or does it have to be the route of your bid area?

Cowboy Mac

What if you have a bid route mon-fri and they force you in on Saturday because of a shortage. Can they put you on any route or does it have to be the route of your bid area?
You follow your bid area. If they take you off your bid route, you can file and get 2 hours penalty pay.

Methods Man

We are starting saturday ground here soon. The problem we’ve been having is the concern of half our drivers not being able to work mondays anymore. Anyone have any input on lower seniority RPCD’s only getting 4 days a week now? This whole situation sounds like a mess.

charm299

We are starting saturday ground here soon. The problem we’ve been having is the concern of half our drivers not being able to work mondays anymore. Anyone have any input on lower seniority RPCD’s only getting 4 days a week now? This whole situation sounds like a mess.
Ours voluntairily take off, tell them to demand their 8

Cowboy Mac

You are guaranteed 40 hours a week. If they lay you off on a Monday, they better make sure there are no junior drivers working. You have the right to work before them.

It’s probably not going to be half of the routes cut. My center typically cuts one bid route per loop on Mondays. And that causes every other route to run heavy. Which means they call in most of the T-S drivers to bail people out on Mondays. It’s going to be a split-show so just be prepared for that.

Methods Man

Ours voluntairily take off, tell them to demand their 8
Here they are assigning the top half of seniority drivers to the routes they are leaving in on Monday even though the bid drivers for those routes are being laid off for the day. Many pissed off people.

PT Car Washer

The ones not working Mondays are the lucky ones. Pick up routes doubled up, delivery routes doubled up, misloads because dispatch moves areas around at the last minute. Some guys would rather stick with Tuesday thru Saturday. A few.

Methods Man

You are guaranteed 40 hours a week. If they lay you off on a Monday, they better make sure there are no junior drivers working. You have the right to work before them.

It’s probably not going to be half of the routes cut. My center typically cuts one bid route per loop on Mondays. And that causes every other route to run heavy. Which means they call in most of the T-S drivers to bail people out on Mondays. It’s going to be a split-show so just be prepared for that.
Yeah here we aren’t guaranteed 40hrs a week. Only 8hrs a day if your working.

Cowboy Mac

Yeah here we aren’t guaranteed 40hrs a week. Only 8hrs a day if your working.
B3A32A78-9B8D-4B95-8957-2ABE6F2F2120.jpeg

This is from Article 22 section 4 of the NMA. Is there some kind of regional language that conflicts with this?

Cowboy Mac

As long as work is available is the issue. Mondays the drivers will be scheduled as laid off.
Work is always available. They should be able to find something for those RPCDs to do for 8 hours, whether that be working in the customer counter, part time work, car wash, driving work, or any mixture of the above. As long as you have more seniority and the skills to do the job.

Also, keep in mind that you should be working more than any 22.4 drivers. So if they want to work the 22.4’s Tues-Sat and you’re only working 4 days, file a grievance and get paid for the time the junior employee worked.

Methods Man

Work is always available. They should be able to find something for those RPCDs to do for 8 hours, whether that be working in the customer counter, part time work, car wash, driving work, or any mixture of the above. As long as you have more seniority and the skills to do the job.

Also, keep in mind that you should be working more than any 22.4 drivers. So if they want to work the 22.4’s Tues-Sat and you’re only working 4 days, file a grievance and get paid for the time the junior employee worked.
Have you had any of those grievances at your building and it holding up? We haven’t switched over yet to saturday ground so I’m not entirely sure what will happen. As far as the as long as work is available clause I was under the assumption that it was only for your job class?

Cowboy Mac

Have you had any of those grievances at your building and it holding up? We haven’t switched over yet to saturday ground so I’m not entirely sure what will happen. As far as the as long as work is available clause I was under the assumption that it was only for your job class?
So we don’t have that problem in my center because we have always been short staffed. 22.4s work every Monday and some have been working 6 days for over a year minus vacations.

I have successfully filed when I was a part timer because they would send me home a few minutes earlier than junior employees. I was hungry for money and the grievances were for pennies each, but they resulted in the sup starting to follow seniority order.

This is what the Southern Region supplement says about layoff procedures. You should find the applicable language from your supplement.

DF39FB4B-2CF1-4FD4-983B-B98C10A691CB.png

Cowboy Mac

I can tell you in my center, we have a problem with bid routes being cut on Monday even though the work is there. Instead of being asked to take the day off or cover the route of their choice, some bid drivers are forced onto routes they don’t know, in order to cover call ins and sitting routes.

charm299

Here they are assigning the top half of seniority drivers to the routes they are leaving in on Monday even though the bid drivers for those routes are being laid off for the day. Many pissed off people.
They can’t lay you off the morning of, if they do, you can demand your 8. File a grievance if they don’t give you work on Monday