Saturdays not optional?

Hello my center is insisting drivers have to work Saturdays all the way up to third in seniority. Is this true? I am supposed to be visiting family Saturday. I do have a lot of seniority by the way if that makes a difference at all.

Brownwind

Hello my center is insisting drivers have to work Saturdays all the way up to third in seniority. Is this true? I am supposed to be visiting family Saturday. I do have a lot of seniority by the way if that makes a difference at all.
It’s peak and they need help. Best advice is to go in early and work what you can until you have to bail.
Unfortunately it’s what you bid. If you’re comfortable in your bid then call out and pay for it on Monday.

bumped

It’s peak and they need help. Best advice is to go in early and work what you can until you have to bail.
Unfortunately it’s what you bid. If you’re comfortable in your bid then call out and pay for it on Monday.
What?!? Thats's job abandonment. Call out instead.

ManInBrown

177 strongest local in the country. No forced 6th day. Black Friday still a holiday. Call out. Fatigued can’t work. Click.

And I always love the guys who go, work Saturday. Makes Monday that much easier. Uhh no it doesn’t. You get 60 from the driver who had the balls to not come in. Never forget when I was in package 25 year driver tells me I’m working Saturday. First time ever. I want Monday to be an easy day. Tried to tell him. Tuesday morning he says, you were right. Never again. They gave him 50 stops from me, and 50 from the other route in loop.

Forced sixth day is so unsafe. We have drivers in feeders who work six days every week. I’ll never understand it. You don’t need a rest, need some good sleep? I couldn’t imagine.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
My supervisor called me at 8am and said I don't have to come in. Which is good because its damp and dreary and this hot chocolate is nice.

ManInBrown

My supervisor called me at 8am and said I don't have to come in. Which is good because its damp and dreary and this hot chocolate is nice.
You played that all wrong. First off why are you taking calls from management on your cell phone, during duty hours, or off duty? Second off screw that, if I was in a local where it was forced and I was in a giving, caring mood I still show up. Oh you don’t need me, where’s the broom closet. Guess I’m sweeping today.

I really worry about my pension. This company is doomed. Younger generation just has no idea how to play the game. PVD’s great. Make my life easier, I don’t care how. Meanwhile they don’t realize the company has an ice pick and are just chipping away little by little.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
You played that all wrong. First off why are you taking calls from management on your cell phone, during duty hours, or off duty? Second off screw that, if I was in a local where it was forced and I was in a giving, caring mood I still show up. Oh you don’t need me, where’s the broom closet. Guess I’m sweeping today.

I really worry about my pension. This company is doomed. Younger generation just has no idea how to play the game. PVD’s great. Make my life easier, I don’t care how. Meanwhile they don’t realize the company has an ice pick and are just chipping away little by little.
That’s what I’m talking about. Where is the broom closet located? All members need to step up and demand the hours they are due. If they force a sixth bunch and you show up demand the hours you are contractually guaranteed.

bumped

177 strongest local in the country. No forced 6th day. Black Friday still a holiday. Call out. Fatigued can’t work. Click.

And I always love the guys who go, work Saturday. Makes Monday that much easier. Uhh no it doesn’t. You get 60 from the driver who had the balls to not come in. Never forget when I was in package 25 year driver tells me I’m working Saturday. First time ever. I want Monday to be an easy day. Tried to tell him. Tuesday morning he says, you were right. Never again. They gave him 50 stops from me, and 50 from the other route in loop.

Forced sixth day is so unsafe. We have drivers in feeders who work six days every week. I’ll never understand it. You don’t need a rest, need some good sleep? I couldn’t imagine.
Are you guys with no forced 6th day getting double time for coming in on the 6th day?

ManInBrown

Are you guys with no forced 6th day getting double time for coming in on the 6th day?
I’m not in package anymore, I’m in feeders. 7 day operation. Saturday is time and a half, Sunday is double time. Top-down seniority gets to work. In package it was time and a half for Saturday or double time. I don’t remember. Could’ve been double time.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Stealing work from Union Porters?
Nope, I wish we had Union Porters here. Unfortunately we do not. What we do have, like many places, is a bunch of part timers doing full time work year round. That is something that needs to be worked on by the IBT and the Joint Councils is to get better language into the National and Supplements to force the company into creating more full time 22.2 and 22.3 jobs. Right now the company is also stripping all of the O/T from every full time RPCD job and giving the majority of the work to non seniority employees working less than eight hours, most of it is going to PVDs working around 4ish hours. It’s sickening to me the number of full time members that are consistently working under 8s and the amount of part time employees working over 40 hours weekly. The other neat thing they are trying is to force every RPCD, from the top of the list to the bottom, in on Saturday, when they aren’t even giving the 22.4s eight hours. 5 day workweeks and mandatory 8 hour pay guarantees for full time employees are my two biggest sticking points for our contracts coming up. It’s seems like it’s always feast or famine for the package drivers and a lot of the inside employees in my local.