Scanners being phased out???

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
No,what will happen is when misloads are out of control drivers will be instructed to bring them in and given to the clerk for an exception scan of some sort done in the center. Management will never admit system failure, rather service failures will be hidden in a Smoke and Mirror fashion
you can't really do that on a systemic level, the OE boogeymen will come for you

scoot_

There are supposed to be many benefits to switching over to RFID tags. I've been seeing the cost per tag to be anywhere from two to ten cents.

To be honest it does seem pretty foolproof if used correctly.
At if say, 10¢ per piece, 10,000 pieces for a sort is a thousand bucks. Sounds like a lot, but if you had to run 10 inopportune misloads that easily could lead to 1000 dollars or more.
Not to mention the ease of a truck telling you there's a misloads in there or not. Instead of using downtime with a sharpie, and a lot easier than getting 95.5% on the ss

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This system should pay for itself in no time. The Preload would know if a Missload was in a package car before it left the building. Paying a driver time and a half to run off a Missed at the end of the day is very expensive.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What’s an RFID tag?
Radio Frequency ID, smart tags that transmit data to a receiver. They were developed about 20 years ago but were considered too expensive to use until they could be made for about ten cents. It's kind of like a barcode with a little radio built into it. Packages can be tracked live and it will be simple to find Missloads with a scanner.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Radio Frequency ID, smart tags that transmit data to a receiver. They were developed about 20 years ago but were considered too expensive to use until they could be made for about ten cents. It's kind of like a barcode with a little radio built into it. Packages can be tracked live and it will be simple to find Missloads with a scanner.
Wally world was bragging about using these for groceries years ago. Still waiting

DOK

Is it something that can get torn off of the package while the package is riding through our system? Those gps thingys that they stick on the Covid-19 vaccine pkgs look like they’ll get ripped off the box, I’m always surprised that they’ve lasted the whole journey stuck to the box when we have pal labels transferring to other packages all the time while riding the conveyors.

scoot_

Is it something that can get torn off of the package while the package is riding through our system? Those gps thingys that they stick on the Covid-19 vaccine pkgs look like they’ll get ripped off the box, I’m always surprised that they’ve lasted the whole journey stuck to the box when we have pal labels transferring to other packages all the time while riding the conveyors.
Those GPS things have a little note saying it's part of a trial program. I assume they'd make it a more streamlined sticky