Scheduled draft

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I've never seen this used at my station. If they tried forcing me to work if I didn't want to, I'd just say that I have a medical test scheduled. That's one advantage of beating cancer.

I'm not the biggest believer in karma, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to milk such a serious medical condition for such a petty reason.

Nolimitz

I got a PP message one Fri at 16:30 stating I was drafted for a Sat (on a Holiday weekend) my PP message back was Sorry leaving town w/ family at 18:00 tonight will see you on Tues.

Response from mgr was please call me at the station.
Sorry no phone. I will be back to work on Tues.
never heard another word..

whenIgetthere

I got a PP message one Fri at 16:30 stating I was drafted for a Sat (on a Holiday weekend) my PP message back was Sorry leaving town w/ family at 18:00 tonight will see you on Tues.

Response from mgr was please call me at the station.
Sorry no phone. I will be back to work on Tues.
never heard another word..[/QUOTE

Heard from a friend in another district, MD told them managers are now forbidden from calling employees on their cellphones.

Oldfart

Yeah, how dare they try to spend extra time with their child at Christmas...
If you don't like working during the holiday season, why would you accept a job at a package delivery service. Kind of like someone that doesn't like working in cold weather or in the rain taking a courier job.

Maui

Draft lists are reverse seniority and can be used everywhere. 24 hour notice is required, but you generally have several days notice. Ideally no one is ever forced to work Saturday, but if you are then it is best if it is done by seeking volunteers by Wednesday. When it gets to that point, you sort of know you are next and the excuse of medical testing would not fly because if you could prove that with a doctor's note, then you would be skipped and still be next up in the rotation.

By policy PT is exempt. Swings are also exempt from the regular FT list. Some locations have a separate, distinct swing list, but it is uncommon. Not being drafted for Saturday is one of the few benefits of being a swing.

Employees can never get time off around Christmas. They may never get a Christmas with their child without FMLA. It sucks for everyone else, but I can't blame someone for spending their at least the first Christmas together by using FMLA if s/he can.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Draft lists are reverse seniority and can be used everywhere. 24 hour notice is required, but you generally have several days notice. Ideally no one is ever forced to work Saturday, but if you are then it is best if it is done by seeking volunteers by Wednesday. When it gets to that point, you sort of know you are next and the excuse of medical testing would not fly because if you could prove that with a doctor's note, then you would be skipped and still be next up in the rotation.

By policy PT is exempt. Swings are also exempt from the regular FT list. Some locations have a separate, distinct swing list, but it is uncommon. Not being drafted for Saturday is one of the few benefits of being a swing.

Employees can never get time off around Christmas. They may never get a Christmas with their child without FMLA. It sucks for everyone else, but I can't blame someone for spending their at least the first Christmas together by using FMLA if s/he can.

Christmas is on a Sunday this year so there is really no need to take unpaid time off to spend time together as a family.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Swings are also exempt from the regular FT list. Some locations have a separate, distinct swing list, but it is uncommon. Not being drafted for Saturday is one of the few benefits of being a swing.

An exception is any Saturday that everyone else has to work, which typically means the last Saturday of peak.

dex 84

Great idea!!!! Everyone should do it!!! Who doesn't like extra time off during peak????

Hey, you didn't hear me complaining when we only got a little more than half our inbound freight on Christmas eve last year. That was a big :censored2: up that got me home hours early to start my holiday festivities...

dezguy

Hey, you didn't hear me complaining when we only got a little more than half our inbound freight on Christmas eve last year. That was a big :censored2: up that got me home hours early to start my holiday festivities...
Exactly! Time away from work, to be with family and friends is precious. If I can get more time off, especially on holidays, I'd do it.

Maui

An exception is any Saturday that everyone else has to work, which typically means the last Saturday of peak.

True, but at that point it really is no longer using the draft list since everyone has to work.

Christmas is on a Sunday this year so there is really no need to take unpaid time off to spend time together as a family.

It is about more than one day. It really sucks for everyone else, but this child only gets one first Christmas and the parent may not get a chance to spend significant holiday time again until the child is an adult. There may be family out of town (or state) that want to see this new baby at Christmas. A driver will spend plenty of peak seasons working many, many hours away from family. FMLA is the ONLY chance to spend time leading up to Christmas and for many low to mi- range employees even the week between Christmas and New Year's. These are legitimate reasons in my book.