school delivery

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a delivery that wanted there 15 boxes of paper brought up one flight. Nope. All down stairs. Its training your customers. They will take what you are willing to do. I'm not a sucker

All of the offices that I deliver to are staffed by women. I would feel like a total dick if I left their packages by the front door rather than bringing them in to the designated delivery location.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was just wondering, if I delivered to a school that you worked at how would you get me to change my tune ?

I would start by politely requesting that you make all deliveries to a designated location.

If this failed I would call your local management team and express my concerns.

If this did not fail to "change your tune":

1-800-PICKUPS until you started whistlin' Dixie.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No custodians or maintenance people?

During the regular school year? No. I handcart everything in to the respective offices.

I had 36 boxes of Common Core testing material for our local elementary school on Friday. Made 2 trips (that's 18 boxes each trip for those using Common Core math) and stacked them all neatly against the wall just inside the office.

The schools are on break next week but the custodians will be working, even on Good Friday. They will open the office doors and sign for the packages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call 1-800-PICKUPS and tell them what? Tell them that their driver refuses to let them take advantage of him. There is a big difference between servicing the customer and letting the customer take advantage of you.

Tell them that their driver is rude and is not delivering our packages to our designated delivery location. Notice I did not say locations. I agree that asking our drivers to drop off packages at more than one location is unwarranted; however, I do not agree that it is OK to drop them off just inside the front door, especially when the office is normally close to the front door. Is it really that difficult to wheel a handcart in to an office and place their packages along the wall or on a table?

I would also tell them that if their driver did not comply with our wishes that he/she would no longer be allowed to deliver there.

bl04a

Tell them that their driver is rude and is not delivering our packages to our designated delivery location. Notice I did not say locations. I agree that asking our drivers to drop off packages at more than one location is unwarranted; however, I do not agree that it is OK to drop them off just inside the front door, especially when the office is normally close to the front door. Is it really that difficult to wheel a handcart in to an office and place their packages along the wall or on a table?

I would also tell them that if their driver did not comply with our wishes that he/she would no longer be allowed to deliver there.
I agree with you when you're talking about a 1 floor school building, but the OP question was pertaining to 3-5 floor school buildings that exist in many big cities like New York and Philadelphia. These schools almost always have no elevators or docks, so carrying lugging 20 boxes of computer paper up 3 flights of steps is not an option. Also, you aren't necessarily being rude by explaining the situation to the office staff. If they still insist on the driver lugging these boxes up multiple flights of steps after you explained how unsafe that this is for you to do then they are the ones being rude.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...and I would agree if the 3-5 floors were all considered to be the same school but the discussion has been that each floor is it's own separate school so your point is moot...

bl04a

...and I would agree if the 3-5 floors were all considered to be the same school but the discussion has been that each floor is it's own separate school so your point is moot...
It was never said that each floor was a separate school. The point that the OP was making is that the boxes are for different people who are on different floors of the same school and they wanted him to deliver to these different people on multiple floors . Also, at least in the schools that I deliver to the first floor where the office is located is always up a flight of about 20 steps. Too many steps to lug multiple boxes of paper or books etc.

bl04a

All of the schools that I deliver to have the office on the first floor.
Like I said, the schools that I deliver to also are on the "first" floor, however the first floors are actually 1 story above street level. I don't know if you ever delivered in a big city like NY or Philly but if you did you would understand completely. These school buildings usually take up a full square city block and are anywhere from 3-5 floors tall.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Wait. Contradict your self much?

That doesn't give them the right to jerk him around.

One delivery point.

You don't feel the office people have the right to "jerk" him around.

I would tell you that if I worked in the office at any of those schools that you would change your tune really quick.

I would start by politely requesting that you make all deliveries to a designated location.

If this failed I would call your local management team and express my concerns.

If this did not fail to "change your tune":

1-800-PICKUPS until you started whistlin' Dixie.

Yet, you would feel compelled to "jerk" him around.

Hence, contradiction.;)