Scratch by June

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In this morning's PCM, we were told that we would study the Five Keys To Scratch next week. I didn't know there was such a thing, I hope its not another stupid bunch of crap to memorize. I'm on vacation next week, and so sorry to miss this.
I hope you're kidding about this, but these days it's getting hard to tell. There's only one key to scratching my bid route: Fix the time study.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Another 8:00pm-er tonight. All I want to do this weekend is nothing.
I had one of those!!! I del 310, and picked up 227. I had air meets, and disgruntled people coz their dogs were on the porch and I wouldnt deliver. Made pickups for young guys who havent yet realized family doesnt matter (sarcasm) So yes I will stay out all night so they can go to a game I dont care. But to reattempt some guy who I have told I will not go on his porch, when his dog is tied to it,.......I dont care if it doesnt bite, it will bite me, or tangle me up in his cord, carrying 70 pds of crap to your door. I dont care if its a little dog, they have razor sharp teeth. And if I get bit, or hurt, the first thing my boss will say to me is...... why did you go there if a dog is there. I dont care if you tied the biter over there, Im not going by that one either. . Met my boss so he could go deliver mr. important, and take pics assuming I of course was lying. Ok I already have an 830 eta, wth do you all want from me Im one person.
Mr Important tried to let the dogs out, boss slammed the door on him, Amen Im vindicated.
Rain up to my earballs, like 5 inches in one hour, Im soaked to the bone, should been done, tried all day to be done on time...then you send me more work, and dont believe my integrity.
Got you a sales lead for 50 air a day, which I get morning and night, incoming and outgoing, did it change my dispatch, heck no. Talk about blinders. Plus I got screwed out of the sales lead bonus. Thanks UPS, cant question your integrity, HEE Hee.
So this is a rant about dogs, sales lead bs, over 9.5, and safety.
And thanks for handing me my 17 yr safe driving award, from February at the check in counter, glad it matters.
Stepping off my soapbox, grabbing a beer.
We have a driver who actually COACHES his kids baseball team. He is a runner and everyone around him ends up taking stops and covering his late p/u on game nights. Why is his family more important than mine? I'm a huge sports fan but I also took this job knowing I'll miss stuff. If there is a big game or dance recital or graduation I have no problem helping a guy so he can go. However 3 nights a week for 5 months well that's crap!!!!

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Careful with that advice, it's not true everywhere.

It is, but you have to be willing to play the game. The contract states that all seniority full time employees have the right to work, which entails an 8 hour paid day. Where it becomes tricky is what constitutes an 8 hour day when it comes to work. I'll use the route that I cover the most as an example.

The minimum stop count is 131 on any given day (it fluctuates from time to time so the DPS looks good in front of his bosses) and most days the route is at about 145, but as far as that "all-knowing" computer is concerned, 131 is an 8 hour planned day. If I were to arrive back at the building less than 8 hours after punching in and with less than 131 stops, then yes, they have the right to re-dispatch me but at a rate of time and a half; unless there was a planned double-trip involved. If I arrive back at the building in less than 8 hours and I had 132 stops, then I have completed an 8-hour dispatch and do not have to turn around.

The important things to remember are to be 100% certain you had enough work on the day and be prepared to prove it. Keep records of your stop count. If you are called into the office and you have evidence that offers you vindication, there is nothing they can do. In the mornings, before you punch in, check the CPU in the center office where stop counts are displayed, or if you are familiar with the ODSe system that is in buildings that utilize PAS, check on there. If your route name (i.e. 32D or 75A) is colored in yellow, the route is under an 8-hour plan. Another thing to remember is to never, under any circumstances, falsify records by "making up" stops (i.e. delivering 2 packages to Smith & Co., but sheeting them as two different stops leaving consignee field empty for one) to bolster your stop count if you are under-dispatched because you're just asking for your job to be taken.

As always, consult a shop steward with questions.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It is, but you have to be willing to play the game. The contract states that all seniority full time employees have the right to work, which entails an 8 hour paid day. Where it becomes tricky is what constitutes an 8 hour day when it comes to work. I'll use the route that I cover the most as an example.

The minimum stop count is 131 on any given day (it fluctuates from time to time so the DPS looks good in front of his bosses) and most days the route is at about 145, but as far as that "all-knowing" computer is concerned, 131 is an 8 hour planned day. If I were to arrive back at the building less than 8 hours after punching in and with less than 131 stops, then yes, they have the right to re-dispatch me but at a rate of time and a half; unless there was a planned double-trip involved. If I arrive back at the building in less than 8 hours and I had 132 stops, then I have completed an 8-hour dispatch and do not have to turn around.

The important things to remember are to be 100% certain you had enough work on the day and be prepared to prove it. Keep records of your stop count. If you are called into the office and you have evidence that offers you vindication, there is nothing they can do. In the mornings, before you punch in, check the CPU in the center office where stop counts are displayed, or ifriend you are familiar with the ODSe system that is in buildings that utilize PAS, check on there. If your route name (i.e. 32D or 75A) is colored in yellow, the route is under an 8-hour plan. Another thing to remember is to never, under any circumstances, falsify records by "making up" stops (i.e. delivering 2 packages to Smith & Co., but sheeting them as two different stops leaving consignee field empty for one) to bolster your stop count if you are under-dispatched because you're just asking for your job to be taken.

We call that the 'blue cart computer'. I know how to plan a day for the entire center upstairs on the other computer.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

The important things to remember are to be 100% certain you had enough work on the day and be prepared to prove it. Keep records of your stop count. If you are called into the office and you have evidence that offers you vindication, there is nothing they can do. In the mornings, before you punch in, check the CPU in the center office where stop counts are displayed, or if you are familiar with the ODSe system that is in buildings that utilize PAS, check on there. If your route name (i.e. 32D or 75A) is colored in yellow, the route is under an 8-hour plan. Another thing to remember is to never, under any circumstances, falsify records by "making up" stops (i.e. delivering 2 packages to Smith & Co., but sheeting them as two different stops leaving consignee field empty for one) to bolster your stop count if you are under-dispatched because you're just asking for your job to be taken.

I know that under certain specific supplements you cannot be disciplined for refusing to go back out once you have completed your dispatched work, but it's not that way here. As long as you are still on the clock they can turn you around, and if you refuse you'll be getting a walk to the gate as soon as they find a shop steward for a meeting. It has nothing to do with your planned day, your min/max, what color the computer says your route is or anything else.

Griff

Re: Loyalty is Laid to Rest; Grave is Next to Partnership’s; RIP My Old Friends

The so-called time studies that our "world class IE dapartment" does were never intended to be fair or realistic in the first place. They were carefully and meticulously designed to create a "standard" that can only be met by working off of the clock. They are a scam. Manipulating employees into working off of the clock is the foundation of UPS's entire business model, and has been for decades.

Yep, it can't be said any better. I have more guys than ever coming to me saying how they either skip their entire lunch or skip half of it and they are still overallowed. "How can this be?? I'm running fullspeed all day, i'm leaving stuff at mailboxes of long driveways, i'm skipping break times." It's all a joke and they sit up in the conference room every single morning plotting, scamming and scheming on how to squeeze more free labor out of the "union" workforce. I tell these drivers to do the job the correct way, but they refuse because they are under this guise of fear placed upon them about "overallowed" and "making 9.5 cutoffs". What a joke.

Throw 1,000 stops on my truck. I'll take my full lunch and break. I will message you in the afternoon letting you know that I will be in at the 12hr DOT cutoff with about 800 stops to sheet as missed.

We have a collective group of drivers in this country who literally have no balls and that is why this union is getting steamrolled. They want the stewards and business agents to fix their lack of manhood, stand up and be a man for once in your life. Being overallowed is not a drivers problem, being over 9.5 is not a drivers problem, these are management issues -- don't make them your problem. That is my message to the bonus babies and lunch skippers.

P.S. -- Dragon did you get demoted to an oncar supervisor? I thought you were some big wig, guess you didn't spend enough "quality" time with one of your superiors. What a shame.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If a driver is more than a half hour over allowed his name goes on a list,and the on car pulls the drivers records and notes on which stops the driver is OA,and by how much time the stop is OA.The driver is then expected on the spot explain why he or she lost time.
I had a deliver to a school the other day of 40 packages of books,which each weighed around 70 pounds apiece. According to the print out I was 8 min over allowe at that stop.Explaining that i had to make several hand truck loads was not an accpetable answer,and I was told i needed to 'pick it up some ' . ...........yeah =)

iowa boy

If a driver is more than a half hour over allowed his name goes on a list,and the on car pulls the drivers records and notes on which stops the driver is OA,and by how much time the stop is OA.The driver is then expected on the spot explain why he or she lost time.
I had a deliver to a school the other day of 40 packages of books,which each weighed around 70 pounds apiece. According to the print out I was 8 min over allowe at that stop.Explaining that i had to make several hand truck loads was not an accpetable answer,and I was told i needed to 'pick it up some ' . ...........yeah =)

Have them come out and show you how to do it faster:happy-very:.

Griff

that is one of my favorite answers,as well as

I'll work on it

I;m working safely and by the methods

I used to say that, now I don't beat around the bush. Two word phrase that ends with "you". Just make sure no rats are around.

You'll see their car a few hours later tailing you. Usually with multiple brain surgeons inside, make sure to wave and smile.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
that is one of my favorite answers,as well as

I'll work on it

I;m working safely and by the methods

Another good response when they come to you whining about your "overallowed" is to apologize for the fact that they must have confused you with somebody who gives a sh%t.

Re: Loyalty is Laid to Rest; Grave is Next to Partnership’s; RIP My Old Friends

Yep, it can't be said any better. I have more guys than ever coming to me saying how they either skip their entire lunch or skip half of it and they are still overallowed. "How can this be?? I'm running fullspeed all day, i'm leaving stuff at mailboxes of long driveways, i'm skipping break times." It's all a joke and they sit up in the conference room every single morning plotting, scamming and scheming on how to squeeze more free labor out of the "union" workforce. I tell these drivers to do the job the correct way, but they refuse because they are under this guise of fear placed upon them about "overallowed" and "making 9.5 cutoffs". What a joke.

Throw 1,000 stops on my truck. I'll take my full lunch and break. I will message you in the afternoon letting you know that I will be in at the 12hr DOT cutoff with about 800 stops to sheet as missed.

We have a collective group of drivers in this country who literally have no balls and that is why this union is getting steamrolled. They want the stewards and business agents to fix their lack of manhood, stand up and be a man for once in your life. Being overallowed is not a drivers problem, being over 9.5 is not a drivers problem, these are management issues -- don't make them your problem. That is my message to the bonus babies and lunch skippers.

P.S. -- Dragon did you get demoted to an oncar supervisor? I thought you were some big wig, guess you didn't spend enough "quality" time with one of your superiors. What a shame.
Bro sorry to say it but I actually think you said it better than sober with this post.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They told me I needed to pick up my pace, when I had to have another driver bring me another truck with 129 boxes for a school, which would not fit in my truck, yes all books, the custodian was off that day, and I had to put it in a narrow hallway, with broken urinals and various other equipment. Bet we were there an hour. I had 415 that day del, and 140 something picked up. And I was late, and they told me, we dont dispatch by pieces.
Well you now what that is what we deliver, so maybe you should. . And get more drivers, and more help. Because with 90 miles thats almost 3 hrs on my route of pure driving, and you want to call this I think a 9.05 day? You are dreaming. Letter, ok, heres my addy. I did my best, I chose safety over prioduction and I still ran like hell. And you know what, all I want to do is go home, so if you think I deliberately tried to screw UPS, do what you do. Out.
Oh yeah, the guy next to me had a 7.23.