Screw You, Memphis

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You just don't 'get it' do you? Spending money on human capital isn't a bad idea at all, but what do you care? Perhaps you go to Fred and tell him he's paying you too much? If you want satisfied productive employees you're better off investing in the pay and benefits area instead of buying expensive aircraft to watch it all sit and rot in the desert.

Hmm. So if we pay you more, you'll be more productive?

gixxer squid

Hmm. So if we pay you more, you'll be more productive?

"if "we" pay more, so your admitting to being a company spokesperson. Regardless, production would be the same but lets see, where shall I start?

UPS has a union, they make good wages, they have vacation time, they have medical and dental, there trucks are not band-aided together, they probably pass DOT with flying colors, not just the outside, but everything probably works.

We have drivers doing 400+ boxes a day with 120-130 stops. I would love to give them medical and dental, vacation time etc. However, this is going in Freds pocket as he sings all the way to the bank.

If you were a contractor, you would understand. 2 bucks a stop and .23 cents a box, hmmmmm you do the math. We have lost many good drivers who loved there job because there were no benefits and they needed them for there family.

Regarding truck maintenance. A recent home delivery contractor I know failed all 6 of his trucks for DOT. All he did was find someone to sign off. Station managers stop drivers in morning when exiting facility preaching safety safety safety but the :censored2: margins or so damn small and the whole purpose of owning a business is to make money. Contractors are lucky to squeeze 400-600 per truck after paying everything if that. Replace two tires and there goes 400 of that. If UPS can do it than why can't we!

gixxer squid

Great point, gixxer squid. Who is "we"? If FedEx paid like UPS, they'd have a right to expect UPS-level production and professionalism. They don't. End of story.

We have lost some good pickups recently, well, don't know what you consider good but 80-100 boxes every day on one particular stop. Where did they go? I will tell you. UPS. We spoke to manager and UPS offered them a better deal, cheaper rates So, this makes me wonder, if ground is contractor owned and no retirement, medical, dental, vacation or any perks are offered and the entire burden on our shoulders……Please do tell me how ground would loose market share to UPS on blankety blank PRICE?????? Not talking service, PRICE.

Soooooooooo someone is making all the money and we all know who that is. If UPS was unprofitable and showing quarterly losses thats another deal but thats not happening. Pull up stock ticker symbol UPS

Numbers don't lie but we contractors are squeezed by corporate that doesn't want to pay and buries head in the sand for any changes that may effect us.

I am not a hater per se, I just want to be respected and treated fairly. I am sure UPS has their own issues as we live in an imperfect world

gixxer squid

When diesel went up 25% to over 4 dollars a gallon the last few years in my area and still is currently at that rate, settlement compensation for mileage wasn't readjusted and has remained the same, maybe a few cents more.

Please tell me Dano or whomever has an educated answer, where exactly does this extra money come from for these unforeseen fluctuations in expenses?

Here's a hint, It comes from our profit, keep squeezing what tiny profit margin we have and maintenance is ignored or not up to date, packages are DNA or 04, why? Because we are not paid enough to get and KEEP good help. Has nothing to do with my management skills

CJinx

Please tell me Dano or whomever has an educated answer, where exactly does this extra money come from for these unforeseen fluctuations in expenses?

Here's a hint, It comes from our profit, keep squeezing what tiny profit margin we have and maintenance is ignored or not up to date, packages are DNA or 04, why? Because we are not paid enough to get and KEEP good help. Has nothing to do with my management skills
The answer to that is obvious; like most businesses out there, unforeseen expenses come out of your bottom line. If you choose to skimp on maintenance or take it out of your employees paychecks rather than your personal profit margin, that's a decision you as a contractor get to make.

STFXG

When diesel went up 25% to over 4 dollars a gallon the last few years in my area and still is currently at that rate, settlement compensation for mileage wasn't readjusted and has remained the same, maybe a few cents more.

The higher the fuel cost the MORE profit I make. You get supplemented for increased fuel costs. Have you ever done the math and compared mpg of your vehicles to the fuel settlement? How does it vary with increased fuel costs? Show us some numbers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

gixxer squid

The higher the fuel cost the MORE profit I make. You get supplemented for increased fuel costs. Have you ever done the math and compared mpg of your vehicles to the fuel settlement? How does it vary with increased fuel costs? Show us some numbers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yes the fuel costs settlement is higher but does not equal actual cost

My point is being missed. How does UPS pay full benefit packages and still make money yet we are still loosing customers to their pricing? Benefit packages have to add 20-30% to costs. So by deduction, that 20-30% is going into someone else's pockets. Lets stay on topic

STFXG

Yes the fuel costs settlement is higher but does not equal actual cost

My point is being missed. How does UPS pay full benefit packages and still make money yet we are still loosing customers to their pricing? Benefit packages have to add 20-30% to costs. So by deduction, that 20-30% is going into someone else's pockets. Lets stay on topic

We don't have the linehaul infrastructure and buildings to bury them with a price war yet. Ground has enough volume and a steady growth. Why fight over scraps?

Sent using BrownCafe App

gixxer squid

We don't have the linehaul infrastructure and buildings to bury them with a price war yet. Ground has enough volume and a steady growth. Why fight over scraps?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Well maybe that is true, so whats being done about it? We run a tight ship and yes we do make money but its peanuts per truck that we made a few years ago before everyone having to be incorporated and on payroll. I am sure that hit many a contractor in the profit margin department. Regardless, a pretty darn perfect streamlined operation has to be run unless you have 8 plus PSA or supps. For those owners not running the business and driving or managing with less than 5 or so, not much to go around. And of course a few of the drivers think we are making money hand over fist cause they have 400 boxes. LOL yeah right, maybe a few years ago in the good ol days…..

59 Dano

"if "we" pay more, so your admitting to being a company spokesperson. Regardless, production would be the same but lets see, where shall I start?

Well, no, I am using "we" as in society. But take it however you wish.

If you were a contractor, you would understand. 2 bucks a stop and .23 cents a box, hmmmmm you do the math. We have lost many good drivers who loved there job because there were no benefits and they needed them for there family.

Hmmm. It sounds to me like you should give them benefits. Problem solved.

59 Dano

Great point, gixxer squid. Who is "we"? If FedEx paid like UPS, they'd have a right to expect UPS-level production and professionalism. They don't. End of story.

How much of a production increase would we see if couriers were given a 20% pay increase?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How much of a production increase would we see if couriers were given a 20% pay increase?

You'd certainly attract a better crop of candidates who might actually stay longer than 3 weeks before quitting. The whole pay and benefit structure needs to be improved.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, no, I am using "we" as in society. But take it however you wish.

Hmmm. It sounds to me like you should give them benefits. Problem solved.

Therein lies the problem. For the scam to work, someone has to lose, and that would be the drivers. Fred gets his healthy cut, and the ISP gets theirs. No money left to pay a decent wage, much less benefits.

59 Dano

Therein lies the problem. For the scam to work, someone has to lose, and that would be the drivers. Fred gets his healthy cut, and the ISP gets theirs. No money left to pay a decent wage, much less benefits.

Ground is working fine. What's this "scam" you speak of?

MAKAVELI

I think you and upper management don't understand that you will never see UPS productivity numbers unless Ground and Express are combined. What you would see with a 20% pay increase is a workforce that would feel better about their job and go that extra mile for the customer and management. Which in turn would increase productivity and service. What a novel concept. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

STFXG

I think you and upper management don't understand that you will never see UPS productivity numbers unless Ground and Express are combined. What you would see with a 20% pay increase is a workforce that would feel better about their job and go that extra mile for the customer and management. Which in turn would increase productivity and service. What a novel concept. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

That's all nonsense. SPH is up. Heard it here on the forum. So why pay more when they are already getting increased productivity?

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

That's all nonsense. SPH is up. Heard it here on the forum. So why pay more when they are already getting increased productivity?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Why not make that SPH skyrocket by getting rid of the middle man ( you ), combine both opco and give us better pay and benefits? Seems to work for UPS. A win, win situation for everyone.

Dex01

Banned

Correct. Between 73' and 11' the average worker received approximately 4 percent of national productivity gains. So, it seems rather silly to debate if FedEx adequately compensates their workers when it is quite obvious denying benefits is a systemic corporate practice. Much to MRFX's dismay, Fred S hardly invented the benefit cut. I do, however, construe the Ground business model to be contrary to sound long term economic goals.

Sent using BrownCafe App

STFXG

Why not make that SPH skyrocket by getting rid of the middle man ( you ), combine both opco and give us better pay and benefits? Seems to work for UPS. A win, win situation for everyone.
With the attitudes around here now I could only imagine the amount of whining if express had to do real volume, not just envelopes.

Sent using BrownCafe App