Seasonal hire union member

I recently got hired a few weeks ago as a seasonal driver helper for UPS. I was also forced to join a union in order to be hired. Being in a union protects me from being fired without good reason, yet being a seasonal driver helper I can get fired on the spot for no reason at all. My term of employment will end most likely after Christmas, or a few weeks after. The union started taking money right away from me on my first check. Will the union be of any use to me or am I just being robbed and ask for a refund after my employment is terminated?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
They don't go out of their way to make it known; but, upon request, my local will refund excess "dues" deductions from helpers.

I suspected I was being stole from considering unions dont take money until 40 days of employment(they couldnt wait that long because I would already be done with the job) and I really was forced or I wouldnt be hired.

542thruNthru

I recently got hired a few weeks ago as a seasonal driver helper for UPS. I was also forced to join a union in order to be hired. Being in a union protects me from being fired without good reason, yet being a seasonal driver helper I can get fired on the spot for no reason at all. My term of employment will end most likely after Christmas, or a few weeks after. The union started taking money right away from me on my first check. Will the union be of any use to me or am I just being robbed and ask for a refund after my employment is terminated?

I say you quit. That will really show them!!

It sucks that you are paying union dues as a seasonal but I'm sure that was told to you when you took the job. So now you're on a website complaining about it. Maybe you should call the local and express your displeasure.

I was also promised more than 4 hours of work a day, but that is a whole separate issue with UPS. At the moment, I just wanted to confirm that the union was/is stealing from me. I'll give it more time and see if the behavior keep up.

542thruNthru

I was also promised more than 4 hours of work a day, but that is a whole separate issue with UPS. At the moment, I just wanted to confirm that the union was/is stealing from me. I'll give it more time and see if the behavior keep up.

How is it stealing if you were informed of it before you were hired. I think you need to look up the definition of stealing.

Enjoy being a helper.

Union dues arent to be paid until after a certain amount of time. As a seasonal helper with 4 hours a day and the union taking money WEEKLY ( not even monthly and not to mention the other deduction) my pay is a joke. I bust my ass and there is people sitting at home collecting considerably more from unemployment than I am working. Maybe you forgot what it's like.

542thruNthru

Union dues arent to be paid until after a certain amount of time. As a seasonal helper with 4 hours a day and the union taking money WEEKLY ( not even monthly and not to mention the other deduction) my pay is a joke. I bust my ass and there is people sitting at home collecting considerably more from unemployment than I am working. Maybe you forgot what it's like.

If you feel they are taking them in mistake then call the local.

I haven't forgotten anything. I was PT and broke for 9 years.

Yolo

You're being robbed. You might be able to get refunded. Maybe. But idk. In my building we have seasonals that paid the initiation fee last year and the union is taking it out again this year.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I was hired as a driver helper last week and already did the training a few days ago. My coordinator has yet to call me, and everytime I try to call that person isn' accepting calls I call from 5 A.M until 2 P.M every 30 minutes. Tomorrow is my 4th consecutive day without work. Will I be fired?

Just get fired already, and leave us alone.

I like how every single driver has a "I dont give a :censored2: , they wont fire me" attitude. Its also nice not having someone breathe down your neck every second of the day, god knows ive done enough of those jobs. Bow stay on topic.